Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Question Old pages -- keep them or delete them?
    I am re-building one of my sites. My question is: should I delete the old pages or keep them? The reason I'm asking this is because some of my old pages have pretty good click through stas. If I delete them, will that affect my site ranking? Or it doesn't matter?

Will it affect your site in anyway by leaving them? If not, and they still draw sales/traffic, then heck yes.
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

Lightbulb
    another reason to leave them is if they can update the prices automatically, or if they show no prices. only drawback on all this is if the merchandise goes permanently out of stock, in which case the visitor might not appreciate the waste of time.

at any rate, monitor the stats and pick a number where it may be worthwhile to pull the plug.

Keep 'em. You might want to remove pricing info or add a "This item is no longer available, but these similar items might interest you" message to redirect traffic to commissionable items. It might be a lot of work, depending on how many pages you have, but it's worth it.

Once, instead of putting the time in to do that, I just deleted several thousand pages on my site. That essentially wounded my site to the point that it still hasn't recovered. Lesson learned.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyBusiness
    Will it affect your site in anyway by leaving them? If not, and they still draw sales/traffic, then heck yes.
    The old pages was made of site builder and they look really naive Although they still draw sales/trafic once in a while, but I think I'm ready to let them go.

naive still sells you know.. I read something similar to this article a while back: http://www.site-reference.com/articl...-Websites.html

Still holds some truth to it..
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ
    another reason to leave them is if they can update the prices automatically, or if they show no prices. only drawback on all this is if the merchandise goes permanently out of stock, in which case the visitor might not appreciate the waste of time.

at any rate, monitor the stats and pick a number where it may be worthwhile to pull the plug.
    I can't update the prices automatically. There are some basic contents and product links/banners. You are right, visitor will not like the site with dead links that go to no where.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by meadowmufn
    Keep 'em. You might want to remove pricing info or add a "This item is no longer available, but these similar items might interest you" message to redirect traffic to commissionable items. It might be a lot of work, depending on how many pages you have, but it's worth it.

Once, instead of putting the time in to do that, I just deleted several thousand pages on my site. That essentially wounded my site to the point that it still hasn't recovered. Lesson learned.
    I don't mind a lot of work, but I do mind if my visitors are not happy to see "This item is no longer available, but these similar items might interest you".

I have less than 100 old pages, among those, only about 20 of them drawing good trafics. May be I should just keep those "good" pages?

Tax Paying Member
    I am in the midst of rebuilding a couple of sites.

My reasons....
    1....To get a fresh look
    2....A lot of links were out dated or broken.

My method is to maintain the same page ID's on my site and the same metta tags....Maybe with a little update. Also delete the bad links and add some new ones. Therefore there should be no real effect to a googlebot. Basically it is a new paint job on the old pages. (Renovation)
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Witzer
    I am in the midst of rebuilding a couple of sites.

My reasons....
    1....To get a fresh look
    2....A lot of links were out dated or broken.

My method is to maintain the same page ID's on my site and the same metta tags....Maybe with a little update. Also delete the bad links and add some new ones. Therefore there should be no real effect to a googlebot. Basically it is a new paint job on the old pages. (Renovation)
    That's what I was planning to do at the beginning -- a new paint job.
    But it all messed up since the site was originally made using site builder, and now I'm building it with MS Frontpage. I figure it will be a lot easier just to make brand new pages and copy old contents to them. I wish I wasn't attracted by the "easy site building tool" back then

BTW, what do you mean by "maintain the same page ID's"? Do you mean save it as the same page name?

Tax Paying Member
    Yes. Save new pages with old page name. Maintain as much of the old background information as possible....ie, page names, meta tags etc. This is what I mean by a new paint job.

I have done this without losing any page ranking.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

ABW Ambassador
    After I made a new page, Frontpage automatically save it as .htm while my old pages all ended with .html. I know htm is simply a short version of html, but do I need to save it as html so the new page can overwrite the old one?

(hey, I like your avatar )

Tax Paying Member
    I do not use front page. I did use site builder in the early days. My present software allows me to choose the sufix. I use both htm and html. I don't know enough to tell the difference. As long as I keep it organized, it works.
    Carolina China

ABW Ambassador
    Herb, Moneybusiness, Meadowmufn & Witzer, thanks for all your responses

Disregarding the hard work, tech issue...What I'm concerning the most is loosing some old visitors who came to the old pages. But again, I don't want them to see the un-updated pages with dead links or broken banners.

What you guys suggested are all very good points. I guess I just have to hang on the old ugly pages for a while and see how the stas goes.

Quote Originally Posted by atonca
    Herb, Moneybusiness, Meadowmufn & Witzer, thanks for all your responses

Disregarding the hard work, tech issue...What I'm concerning the most is loosing some old visitors who came to the old pages. But again, I don't want them to see the un-updated pages with dead links or broken banners.
    What you could do, if your host supports it, is make custom 404 pages to redirect traffic to more profitable areas of your site and then delete the old pages. If someone visits the old, dead link, they'll get a nice page pointing them to another spot on your site instead of an ugly error message. I've gotten more than one commission from folks who ended up at a 404 page on my site.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by meadowmufn
    What you could do, if your host supports it, is make custom 404 pages to redirect traffic to more profitable areas of your site and then delete the old pages. If someone visits the old, dead link, they'll get a nice page pointing them to another spot on your site instead of an ugly error message. I've gotten more than one commission from folks who ended up at a 404 page on my site.
    Thanks meadowmufn . I will check with my host (yahoo) to see if I can do the traffics redirect. It sounds like the best solution for me.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    After I made a new page, Frontpage automatically save it as .htm while my old pages all ended with .html. I know htm is simply a short version of html, but do I need to save it as html so the new page can overwrite the old one?

(hey, I like your avatar )
    In frontpage, when it "automatically" saves as HTM, just add an L to the end to make it HTML. I do it all the time.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    In frontpage, when it "automatically" saves as HTM, just add an L to the end to make it HTML. I do it all the time.
    Oh, that's easy
    But I'm curious. Why you want to do that? Don't they work the same?

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Oh, that's easy
    Yes they do - I'm just funny about this kinda stuff - It's that SUPPOSED to end in an L.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Lightbulb
    Oh, that's easy

.htm and .html make a difference with the index.xxx page. if you put index.html and index.htm both on a Web server, the .html gets priority.

you might notice this if you are building a new index page with .htm and there is an existing index.html on there, maybe as a placeholder. you will have to remove the index.html page if you want to run index.htm. (otherwise save as index.html and it will over-write the original.)

I got this via a newsletter in email this afternoon, Atonca: http://www.seo-news.com/archives/2007/jan/18.html

Kind of relates to your current issue, and the redesigning of your old "ranked" pages. Might be of interest/help.

ABW Ambassador
    .htm and .html make a difference with the index.xxx page. if you put index.html and index.htm both on a Web server, the .html gets priority.

you might notice this if you are building a new index page with .htm and there is an existing index.html on there, maybe as a placeholder. you will have to remove the index.html page if you want to run index.htm. (otherwise save as index.html and it will over-write the original.)
    Wow, I didn't know that. Thanks Herb. Maybe I should start to add "L" to the saved pages as Rexanne said.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyBusiness
    I got this via a newsletter in email this afternoon, Atonca: http://www.seo-news.com/archives/2007/jan/18.html

Kind of relates to your current issue, and the redesigning of your old "ranked" pages. Might be of interest/help.
    Thanks Moneybusiness. Very interesting topic. With my minimum website building skill, there're sure a lot for me to learn.

This is not true for all web servers... The servers that you happen to be using are probably Linux and look for the .html page before .htm, but that server can be set to look for ANY extension first before the other ones.

For those out there hosting on Windows servers, usually the windows box looks for default.htm before anything else.

Most servers go through a list like index.html, index.htm, index.php, default.htm, default.html, default.php, etc... before they come with a page not found message.

It really does not matter what you use between .htm & .html, but if you have rankings already with .html, I would stick to that.

Instead of custom 404 pages, look into 301 or 302 redirects. They will redirect any visitor to the page in question automatically to a new page. And search engines recognize these redirects too, so you can salvage your page rank.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

With Yahoo, just have a e404 page and it will send folks there automatically if you delete pages.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast