Verbosely Virtuous Mutt spacedog's Avatar
    Direct Deposit question
    I've been resisting getting my CJ payments by direct deposit because I really like the monthly paper trail (pay stubs) for tax and other purposes. Do you folks who get DD still get something in the mail each month? If not, is there a way to print out something like a pay stub from CJ's reporting?

I guess I could just print out the front page of "Transaction Reports" where the Publisher Payments shows up, but I'm hoping for something more formal than that.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Spacedog,

DD is bliss.

No paper trail at all except year-end 1099s.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

ABW Ambassador
    I don't know about DD, but my bank do send incoming wire notice to me when a merchant paid by wire transfer. I guess bank will send out some kind of notices for DD?

Same here, I like to keep paperworks for my tax purpose too.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by atonca
    I don't know about DD, but my bank do send incoming wire notice to me when a merchant paid by wire transfer. I guess bank will send out some kind of notices for DD?

Same here, I like to keep paperworks for my tax purpose too.
    Guess it depends on your bank but mine doesn't send me notices of DDs. The money just shows up in my account with sender info.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    Guess it depends on your bank but mine doesn't send me notices of DDs. The money just shows up in my account with sender info.
    Going to check with my bank to see if they will send out notices for DD. If they do, I will go for direct deposit.

Verbosely Virtuous Mutt spacedog's Avatar
    Or maybe I can ask CJ by special request if they'd send a monthly pay stub with a fake voided check, as most of my other DD (j*b) employers have done in the past. Ehh, but somehow I doubt they'll do that for us "publishers" since we're 1099 and CJ is not really our employer.

As with Rexi's, my bank doesn't send out notices of DD, to my knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    same here.

I don't get any kind of "direct deposit" notice from CJ, but I certainly prefer direct-deposit for smaller amounts like this. I download my statement data into Quicken, so tracking my finances is actually much easier when there is a direct deposit.

When I get 3 or 4 little checks, I usually save them up and deposit them together, but sometimes I forget to log in the amount from each merchant, and all I get when I download from the bank is "Deposit Local Branch $385.17" which doesn't tell me much (not even how many different checks were included in the deposit, much less the amounts or merchant names). During each of the past few years, I've had some amount that I can only identify as "Affiliate Earnings - Misc" because I failed to properly record multiple-item deposits.

I do try take extra care to make sure that I log in each check from any merchant who is going to send me a 1099 (at least $600 in earnings). If I didn't, I'd have trouble matching my records with the 1099s, and my taxes would get even more complicated. (Worst case, if I can't match things up, is that I might pay taxes twice on the same income, once because it's in the 1099 and again because it's lumped into "Affiliate Earnings Misc.")

I think that during the past couple of years, I've only received checks from 8 to 10 merchants, and during 2006 it might have been only 4 or 5. Everything else comes into my account via direct deposit or a PayPal transfer.

Back in 1999, I got dozens of checks per month, and I had to spend a LOT of time keeping track (which was important because I had to have clear records when I sold my web business in late 1999). Quite frankly, I received checks in 1998 and 1999 where I had no idea what they were for (I'd get a check for less than $20 from some entity with a name like "ABC Internet LLC" and couldn't connect it to a specific merchant).

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread