Hello,
    Just to lets the folks know here at ABW,
    someone got into my computer with something called I mail we think that is the name.I have never heard of it .I took my computer to a pro who found the problem and said the program worked in the background sending out spam email it was using a seperate port.My system resourses could not keep up and it finally messed up my os and now I have to reformat.Anyway just letting you all know its something called I mail (we think) also we could not find the ip address so keep up the good work here at ABW.
    :cool:

I'm sorry to hear that Dete. That is a pain to go through. I don't understand why people do that kind of stuff. It's not right!

I'm sorry to hear that also. When you get your system back, download and install Zone Alarm or Norton personal firewall. Then whenever someone tries to access your system on a port commonly used as a "back door", you will be alerted and asked if you wish to allow the connection or block it.

Zone alarm also has a free version.

{

I purchased Zone Alarm last night and am utterly amazed out how many attempts are made to get into my system. I have a cable connection, so I'm always online. When I came to the computer this morning, there had been 15 attempts while I was sleeping. It was well worth the $49.95 to avoid what you just went through, dete99. Definitely look into adding it to your system!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Stateside spammers are resorting to finding backdoors into cable modem and DSL networks "always on" ISP services to spew out their Ads. They also bust into larger hosting sites with crappy backdoor security flaws like at www.pair.com and find holes in the 120 thousand domains on their servers and feed e-mail from them too.

The USA based pro spammers have moved offshore to places with no anti-spam laws, but with WorldCom/UUNET going under even those spamm hosters are getting their bandwidth cutoff. Never leave your real e-mail address at your Cable/DSL provider on and Freebee site. They sell this at a premium to the list brokers feeding the spammers. Others breaking into your system to install a backdoor spamming service buy warez scripts for this purpose (just like the e-mail scrapper scripts). To make matters worse the culprets might even be your neighbors or their kids on your node of the Cable Modem LAN.

[ 08-22-2002: Message edited by: EcomCity.com ]

As I understand it, it's not so much "always on" as it is "how long on".

If you come home from work, dial in, check your email and log off a firewall isn't much of an issue.

But if you're like me, even with a dial-up, staying on 2-3 days at a time (like I do) involves the same hacker threat (or close enough).

Jaybat:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If you come home from work, dial in, check your email and log off a firewall isn't much of an issue.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sort of true, but it's likely you'll be probed anyway at some point and be vulnerable, so up-to-date security patches are always a must and firewalls are advisable.

I use two ISPs and one ISP gets about ten times the probes of the other.. I use ZoneAlarm and it's a great product. Combine that with a decent AV scanner and regular trips to the Windows Update site and you should be OK [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I mean the sort of person who just dials in to get his email - by the time anybody has found him (if they do) he's logged off. Next time he dials in, he has a new IP anyway and the hackers have to start over.

Of course if he has 450 spams to download like TH does, that might give hackers the time they need.

Is there a way to see if a firewall is already on your system? I have literature with this one, and I see no names in the program list.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EcomCity.com:
    Stateside spammers are resorting to finding backdoors into cable modem and DSL networks "always on" ISP services to spew out their Ads. They also bust into larger hosting sites with crappy backdoor security flaws like at www.pair.com and find holes in the 120 thousand domains on their servers and feed e-mail from them too.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi, this is Kevin Martin, CEO of pair Networks, Inc. One of our customers passed this comment along to me and I wanted to be sure to address it.

It sounds like you're thinking of scripts such as FormMail, a very poorly written script from Matt's Script Archive. We have had this script available to our customers since we started operations in 1996, but it became apparent a couple of years ago that it was very easy to exploit to send Spam. We patched it with our own fixes (these days there are several other fixed versions available on the Net), and the problem subsided.

However, it continued to recur as users would, not meaning any harm, download their own copy from a Web site and install it. Spammers are so fond of FormMail, they run automated programs to search for it and try to exploit it wherever it's found. We now have a nightly search on our servers which identifies FormMail installed by users and lets us provide the user with our patched version instead. This has nearly eliminated the FormMail problem for us.

Of course, other hosts may not be so diligent and that may have been the point of confusion here. But for the record, we don't have any "crappy backdoor security flaws" and in fact take security very, very seriously, on issues far deeper than scripts Spammers like to play with [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Thank you,
    Kevin Martin
    sigma@pair.com

ps Spammers exploiting FormMail is something happening on Web servers. The problem of the original poster sounds like a backdoor program installed on their personal computer, presumably through an unpatched vulnerability in any of the usual suspects (Outlook, Internet Explorer, etc). Unrelated issues but both are troubling.

[ 08-22-2002: Message edited by: sigmapair ]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wendy:
    Is there a way to see if a firewall is already on your system? I have literature with this one, and I see no names in the program list.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you using XP? Pretty sure that comes with one, but most prefer to get one of the freebies anyway since most third party software is generally better.

If it's running, I'd assume it would be in your task manager list but no idea what it would be called.

I use W2K (no firewall builtin), QBall would be a good one to ask, I think he's on XP. Give it a little while to see if he answers this, otherwise repost your question in the Windows Tips and Tricks section.

Wendy, try this site:

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Be sure to click on both of the buttons in the middle of the page (one at a time) - "Test My Shields" and "Probe My Ports"

This will give you a fairly quick (and free) test of the security of your system.

Good luck.

[ 08-22-2002: Message edited by: Tom ]

If you don't know whether you've got one, it's unlikely you've got a firewall already installed. Unfortunately AFAIK systems don't come with it installed like they do nowadays with anti-virus. The free version of Zone Alarm is pretty good; in fact I like it better than Norton.

Did anyone notice an increase in attempts after Sept 11?

{

"Did anyone notice an increase in attempts after Sept 11?"

Everything I've read said it's mostly dropped (citing fear of FBI mostly). Personally I haven't noticed much change - maybe some dropoff, but since I don't get asked a second time about attempts . . .

Wendy:
    http://www.zonealarm.com/store/content/home.jsp

(tho www.zonealarm.com works also)

The top URL says "store" but that's also where you click the link for the free version (near bottom left).

"Did anyone notice an increase in attempts after Sept 11?"

Everything I've read said it's mostly dropped (citing fear of FBI mostly). Personally I haven't noticed much change - maybe some dropoff, but since I don't get asked a second time about attempts . . .

Wendy:
    http://www.zonealarm.com/store/content/home.jsp

(tho www.zonealarm.com works also)

The top URL says "store" but that's also where you click the link for the free version (near bottom left).

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread