Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    15 years and counting
    Google algo change?
    I noticed a drop of traffic for some of my sites (Starting only yesterday) and many changes in the SERPs for major keywords.
    Also, for some keywords Google is adding a new Searches related to: KEYWORD at the bottom of the page. Like Yahoo
    Not for all keywords, just a few of them:
    By example: for credit cards, you have:
    Searches related to: credit cards credit cards for bad credit chase credit cards no credit credit cards instant approval credit cards
    secured credit cards business credit cards credit card numbers

Is it just me? or is it an Algo change?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    Searches related to: credit cards credit cards for bad credit chase credit cards no credit credit cards instant approval credit cards
    secured credit cards business credit cards credit card numbers

GREED as well as giving more options for the websurfer.
    Signup Now for our KiteandWind affiliate program exclusivly at Shareasale.
    * 7% + Bonus - 365 return days
    * 2nd Tier Signup Bonus - Parasite Free - Auto Deposit Merchant
    * Free Datafeed - PopShops- Performance Cash Bonus

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    I just tried about 10 different terms and it is there for all of them.

For example, search for dog food and you will get it.
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

15 years and counting
    Dog Food it's there but try Food

You have Searches related to: liquor
    but not for alcohol, cocktails or drinks...

On the search for dog food: Results 1 - 10 of about 50,900,000

So are those keywords at the bottom of the page paid? I clicked on a couple, like Science Diet and Petsmart and the new pages didn't show any ads.

<grrr, was playing with other ones and my keywords and clicked my own ad.... cost myself a nickel>

bumping this because I just had one of my biggest sites drop like a stone out of G's SERPS. It's doing perfectly fine in yahoo and MSN right now, but G must have done something drastic, temporary or not.

This site in question is a very well thought-out site, is whitehat, optimized as best (and properly) as possible, has good content, and is updated frequently - even with a blog. Yet most of my high ranking keywords (a lot were top 5 and top 10) have dropped into oblivion.

Any more ideas as to what's going on? I've been reading up over at webmasterworld. One possibility is this thread: http://www.webmasterworld.com/google/3215939.htm but I can't quite determine if this is the issue or not.

Also, it originally had 18k pages indexed fully. Now, although they're all indexed, everything but 3 pages are supplemental now. Anybody else having issues?
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

I call it "Google Love". If G doesn't love you die and if it does you prosper. My sites have gone through so many freaking whipsaws with G that I'm about over it. A few weeks one older site started feeling the "Love" and the traffic quadrupled for two weeks and then went back to where it had been.

I have seen spikes early in the life of a site but not in a mature site. I did a lot of reading on duplicate content and thought that I was good. I started running the GSiteCrawler over my sites and checking the duplicate content stats. I was surprised to find in quite a few case with dynamic pages that there was two urls leading to the same page. It was related to the category page and the first page in pagination. I got all that straight and am now hoping for more "Google Love".

Usually, I just let the ups and downs be, but this one I can't figure out (probably b/c we're talking about 80% drop in traffic). Maybe it's b/c so many others are experiencing it since around the 12th till now, who knows. It happened a few days ago, and I'll wait for a week or more. After that, I guess it may be time to try something different to get it back in the game.
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com

ABW Ambassador
    "After that, I guess it may be time to try something different to get it back in the game."

Sometimes it's best just to hang tight and let Google come back around. I've had this happen 2 or 3 times in the past. Where I would be getting good traffic and then boom, next to nothing. Just waited it out and it came back. If your on site SEO is on point, maybe just work on getting some fresh links in. You were getting good traffic, so whatever you were doing was working. You said it's also still doing good in Yahoo and MSN. So, I would just wait it out, it just something that happens from time to time to most people.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    "After that, I guess it may be time to try something different to get it back in the game."

Sometimes it's best just to hang tight and let Google come back around. I've had this happen 2 or 3 times in the past. Where I would be getting good traffic and then boom, next to nothing. Just waited it out and it came back. If your on site SEO is on point, maybe just work on getting some fresh links in. You were getting good traffic, so whatever you were doing was working. You said it's also still doing good in Yahoo and MSN. So, I would just wait it out, it just something that happens from time to time to most people.
    Thanks, Trust. I'm usually patient with the smaller bumps, but this big one is a bit annoying lol. I think it's the part where you try to figure out whether something IS actually wrong, or nothing is and G is just playing mind games again.

15 years and counting
    I can't believe only two affiliates are seeing this algo change. I've a hard time to understand what's going on with some of my sites. I lost around 10 thousand unique visitors/day for one, a 5 years old site, well established, many incoming links, pr5, no black hat SEO. Seems like several sub-sections of this site have disappeared. Obviously, I lost some good keywords but ALL the keywords left are ALL ranking first. I've never seen that before. Most of the time, all the keywords of a site are affected by such a change and they all go down in the SERPs.
    I gained also many keywords for new sites but I can't say the traffic coming from Google is targeted. I'm not impressed.

ABW Ambassador
    Was just checking over at WMW:

http://www.webmasterworld.com/google/3227362.htm

"Yes, I had an experiene like yours. From 1/14 to 1/17, I lost 90% of G traffic - some 5,000 visitors daily. Then everything became normal. So just relax."

And others having different experiences.

It is what it is. Like I said, I remember 2 or 3 times where traffic for me pretty much stopped, probably some old threads with me posting about it, and it came back. MoneyBusiness and Zeus, keep the thread updated so we can see if it comes back. I would hold tight and let it come back around but that's up to you. Some people get these type of changes and become reactionary and start making all kinds of changes, never knowing in the first place the reason for the drop. Google might have been coming back around, didn't like all these new changes and drop you even more for all you know. There's only so much you can do as far as on site optimization so I get that straight when I first make a page and it doesn't change. The only things that change is what's done as far as off site optimization, primarily getting new links in which can really get your site moving around the SERPS.

I'm not seeing any significant change -- I just checked my stats and they are essentially level for my best-performing ($) personal site.

Subtle change here. Up slightly.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

I've been reading some more regarding this issue. It's a 50/50 thing, in that some have already been restored to normal (without having touched a single thing), and some are still affected (like my one big site).

In all honesty, I think I'd be more afraid of touching/fixing anything without waiting a reasonable amount of time, simply b/c I could be doing more harm than good (like Trust mentioned).

Just trying to keep my mind off of it, stopped checking stats so I don't drive myself crazy, and am continuing work on a couple of projects, including a spin-off of my now-in-the-google-dumps site.

15 years and counting
    Thanks all. I'm just going to wait for this site. Last month I had a surge in traffic for the same site (and in December it's always good). Half of my traffic was coming from the http://www.xxx.com and the other half from http://.xxx.com. I did a permanent 301 redirect this week-end. I should have done it sooner. Anyway, a good opportunity to work on something new.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Well, I wasn't going to post anything because I didn't want to make anyone feel bad but my Google traffic has gone up nicely after a one month lull. Same thing happened last year, too.

I agree with Trust on this. I tend to think of these periodic lulls as a kind of staring contest. I swear I believe Google does it to see if I'll blink (panic and rework the sites). I wonder if it's a method they use to weed out the short-term crap sites? Anyway, I just do what I would normally do with my sites and don't worry about it too much. It only lasts about a month so it's not too bad. Another affiliate site in my niche that has similar results with Google seems to go through the same thing on the same schedule.

It's Google. Who knows what they're smoking over there?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    It's Google. Who knows what they're smoking over there?

I think it's just the air over there in Mountainview...

And thanks, I feel wonderful knowing that your sites are doing even better lately..

ok, one question to the ones being affected by G's actions right now:

Are most of your pages being throwin into the supplemental index? How does your site look in the various G datacenters (site:www.yoursite.com)? You can use this tool to find out: http://www.webrankinfo.com/english/t...ta-centers.php

edit: reason I ask, is b/c I'm wondering if my pages are now starting to come out of the supp. index again (7 out of 17 datacenters showed supp., the others were fine)

Lightbulb
    speaking of datacenters, does anyone really know how many are active right now?

Good question...didn't know they went down.. ?

ABW Ambassador
    Thinking about it logically, all algo changes in all search engines are designed to do one thing only: give their searchers more accurate and relevant results.

Don't worry about '-30' penalties, SERP drops for over-optimization (is it just me or is that a contradiction in terms) or penalties excessive cross-linking or whatever. These are all red herrings. Search engines don't make algo changes to penalise a particular set of web pages. We're not that important.

Just think about what it is that search engines are trying to do to deliver these relevant results. Then actually do that on your sites. Don't fake it, shake it or cloak it. Just bloody do it.

Let's move past the idea that sites have fallen foul of this algo change or that algo change...just deliver web pages that actually are extremely relevant, get them referenced from sites that truly are authorities in their field and optimize the document itself properly without any hidden text, bizarre blog links or any of that crap.

SEO is still simple. Just do it.

Quote Originally Posted by markymark
    optimize the document itself properly
    Care to elaborate on that bit?
    We did not change as we grew older; we just became more clearly ourselves.
    ~Lynn Hall

Action Jackson - King of the World
    Not seeing any changes here good or bad LOL

I came back from vacation to find most of our pages had gone supplemental on most of our sites. Now we're going through and cleaning up the little bits that often get left out.

Each site is getting a robots.txt file, each site is getting the non-www 301ed to the www, each page is getting unique titles, descriptions, and keywords, dead links are being removed, links to bad neighborhoods found and deleted, 404s and 500s are being tracked down and eliminated, etc.

Is it working? Hard to say, but one site went from not indexed at all, to completely supplemental (with no index page listing) to half non-supplemental in the last week and a half. Each day a couple more pages come out and join the regular index.

Maybe it's pure coincidence, but all of the little things needed doing anyway, so no harm done, and Google's stand on canonicalization of domains is a good sign that they're anal about the niggly little tech bits, so maybe it does help. Plus I've been watching Googlebot quite a bit lately and it's doing some interesting things that make me think cleaning up is the right move.

Anyhoo, good luck.
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast