What do you think of this?
    I came across a shopping site today that offered visitors cash-back:

How do I earn cash back and commissions at XXXX?

earn cash back on every commissionable order from a merchant that allows cash-back programs. You'll find those deals on the site marked with a "$" icon to the right of the title that entitle members to cash back and commissions.

Members can also earn a percentage of commissions for enhancing and promoting deals. Just make sure to click on the link to the deal from our site. Cash back and commissions amounts vary by deal and you get paid when we get paid.
    It may be an ABWers site, but it was just interesting that they share their commission as an incentive.

Oh..they also have a toolbar.

I would just like to hear thoughts/opinions on this. Ethical? Smart? Parasite?

Thanks,
    Mel

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Maybe I'm just more suspicious than most people but...why would anyone trust a web site that claims they'll give you cash back? There are so many scams on the internet that I would be very skeptical about trusting a stranger to honor that claim. I also wouldn't want to provide a stranger with my email address and snail mail address and perhaps even phone number.

I'm sure it's a lot of work to run a site like that. As for the parasitic question...I think it's a gray area. I'd be curious to hear what folks who run incentivized sites have to say on the subject and how they think their sites are different from the big players who we complain steal our commissions.

ABW Ambassador
    "It may be an ABWers site, but it was just interesting that they share their commission as an incentive."

That part, absolutely nothing wrong with that. Lots of legit sites do that.

As far as the toolbar, don't know. I found the site, but someone would have to test it out and watch the behavior of it.

Trust, I don't know what you mean by "lots of legit sites do that." How are the "legit sites" that you refer to different from sites like UPromise that are frequently mentioned in the Parasites forum? Is it because they're run by affiliates that makes them "legit" in your mind? Or do you think that incentivized sites like UPromise are legit, too?

15 years and counting
    There's one big difference between a "legit" cash back site and parasites like UPromise, eBates, ShopAtHome, SchoolPop... It's the use of a "reminder"
    The "reminder" powered by some applications is what makes a site a parasite, not the cash back part.
    These downloaded applications (quite often from TopMoxie) or toolbars steal our commissions by overwritting our cookies. eBates uses Moe Money Maker, Shop at Home, SAHAGENT...
    Many small cash back sites don't use a "reminder", a few are legit, many are shady...

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    Trust, I don't know what you mean by "lots of legit sites do that." How are the "legit sites" that you refer to different from sites like UPromise that are frequently mentioned in the Parasites forum? Is it because they're run by affiliates that makes them "legit" in your mind? Or do you think that incentivized sites like UPromise are legit, too?
    What I quoted, the sharing the commission part. Nothing wrong with that. The other ones you mentioned have/had toolbars, not all rebate sites have toolbars. And also the behavior of the toolbar comes into play.

Thanks Trust and Zeus for the clarification. Some of the comments I've read from board members on this subject have been very confusing to me.

So if I understand correctly it's okay to offer cash back so long as you don't pop a reminder on someone else's site or attempt to automatically overwrite an existing cookie or stuff cookies?

ABW Ambassador
    The only thing that has ever bothered me with that stuff is when they would redirect a click from my site thru their site, switch out ids, pop advertising over my site or off my initial traffic to the merchant. And it's usually the ones with some sort of toolbar that did those kind of things. Just a regular cash back, incentive site, nothing wrong with that. It's their commissions, they can choose what they want to do with them.

15 years and counting
    Well, the shady part of many "legit" cash back sites is that they are misleading their members. A good technical knowledge is required to track accurately the sales generated and to give back the cash to the right members. Many small cash back sites are also unable (or unwilling) to pay their members.

ABW Ambassador
    I imagine those type of sites don't last that long and they move on to good ones like a fatwallet.

15 years and counting
    You're right, the problem is for one good legit cash back site like Fat Wallet you have one thousand of shady cash back sites.

Thanks for your input. I was just curious since it was the first time I've seen anything like this before. I guess it is a matter of personal opinion! Thanks so much!
    mel

I offer my visitors incentives sometimes, if they sign up fr something or buy something from a merchant and use my affiliate links, I award them points they can use towards items I have reviewed and give themthe review unit if they have enough points.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread