Just curious to know..
    Hi all!

I don't know if this is against the rules or something but please forgive me if it's against the rules asking this question..

I'm just curious to know, how long did you take to make your first cheque in Affiliate Marketing and what was your initial capital?

I'm just curious to know cause' I'm new to Affiliate Marketing and I would like to begin Affiliate Marketing..

Thank you all in advance for your replies!

Regards,
    Falcov

Took 3 years to make my 1st sale :P
    initial capital.... sell the damn product.

3 years to make your first sale?! Why did it take that long?

Affiliate revenue models are in some way very similar to advertising revenue models. The more people visit your site and the longer they stay there, the more money you will make. In other words, your revenues will be directly proportional to the number of page views.

Before you even start thinking about monetizing your site, think about:
    1. How to develop unique and interesting content and
    2. How to market your site to get readers to come.

Once you've done #1 and have worked on #2, you will find that over time you'll get #3: Free search traffic from Google. This is based on Google deciding when and if your site becomes valuable enough to carry high page rank and be findable by your target audience. This could take many months if not years. I've been publishing my affiliate marketing blog since September when I left Amazon.com and it still has Page Rank of 0. Patience is key.

Once you start getting traffic, then you can figure out how to best monetize it, which affiliate programs to promote and how to best promote them.

Good luck!

Gene Kavner, Former World-Wide Director, Amazon Associates, 2005-2006.
    Affiliate and Amazon Associates Tools | Gene Kavner Blog | Consulting

So do you recommend not placing any affiliate ads on new sites until traffic builds up?

I've heard that elsewhere but haven't been able to click the delete button on my ad blocks quite yet...

No, you don't need to shut them off. If you've already spent the energy to put them up, I don't see a clear need to bring them down.

My suggestion is not to spend any energy doing analytics on your affiliate programs (ie deciding which to dump and which to keep) until your traffic ramps up. With low traffic, your results will not be statistically significant to be useful.

Hope that helped,

Gene Kavner, Former World-Wide Director, Amazon Associates, 2005-2006.
    Affiliate and Amazon Associates Tools | Gene Kavner Blog | Consulting

Yes, and thank you.

I've been focusing this month on staying away from checking stats and instead focusing on providing content. Very hard to do though in practice... but I'm starting to make some ground in developing better habits.

Patience is the hard part. I had one site that made a $90 commission sale during the first week, but I think it must have just been a fluke (or I'm just plain getting screwed by the company and don't know it).

Since then, not much... that was back in October. And since then I've started 6 other sites. My hope is that eventually they'll each start pulling in some money here and there... enough to convince my wife that it's all been worthwhile and that I'm not completely nuts.

You need to read around a LOT and then throw yourself in. You will be 'stung' more often than not in the early days, but experience will guide you thereafter.

Good luck!

The first cheque is the easy part.. it's taking it from there that is more difficult...

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread