ABW Ambassador
    I just found the 5 google urls 3 of them are www, www2, www3 and there were 2 i didn't know about. They're listed below and i put the # of pages i found in each one next to them for one of my little sites:
    Had to edit it, i asked the same question on another message board and someone replied that they are supposed to be secret so i removed the urls. Dont know if this is true or not.

May all your ups and downs be in bed

[This message was edited by johnniebry on August 24, 2002 at 03:29 AM.]

Why are they supposed to be secret?

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

ABW Ambassador
    I emailed Haiko just to make sure. I didn't know about www2 and www3 till i came to this board and just found out about the other 2. The 5 urls have the city in which the data centers are located. On another board someone said no one is supposed to know about those, but they work just fine. Legal is not my dept.

The different google subdomains, like www2, and www3 are their staging systems. During their monthly update (going on right now, or at least recently), the new version of their database is on these servers (and others). When the update is done, www gets the new data.

These URLs and the regional ones are no secret. If google didn't want you to see them, they would protect them. Thousands of people know about these, so you haven't blown the cover off of anything.

ABW Ambassador
    Wasn't talking about those urls. Those urls are no secret, you just mentioned 3: www, www2 and www3, there are 2 others besides those that i have never seen mentioned before and have the city in which the data center is located mentioned in the url. It's really no big deal theres not much difference between the 5. I was hoping to see if some additional pages of mine were maybe lurking on the other 2.

Right, I said "those and the regional ones" -- Regional ones like sj, va, dc which directly indicate the data centers they reside in.

Same answer. They're no secret.
    Or as you said, no big deal. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    If you can find them in your log, don't you think others can too? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

http://SearchToSale.com - Turns your search box into money.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread