Interesting thread - Guy gets convicted of deeplinking
    http://www.webmasterworld.com/conten...ng/3229836.htm

Simply for linking to an audio webcast...would be a close call in my opinion.
    Last edited by MoneyBusiness; January 25th, 2007 at 02:27 PM. Reason: clarification

As I recall, the case was more than deep linking. He actually was playing the media on his site, thereby bypassing the advertising, etc on the host site. Had he just linked to the content on the media site, and actually sent the traffic there, it would have been different.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Actually, the way I saw it was that he linked "directly" to the media, which when clicked on, immediately opened in windows media (or similar player). So, he didn't host it, but b/c the way the streaming content worked, it might've seemed that way.

That's the way I took it. Even still though, getting down to technicalities, I can't see how that might've been construed (by the judge) as being hosted on his site, when it was just a link, and not actually embedded on his site, or stored on his host.

ABW Ambassador
    It was being "performed" as though it was on the hotlinker's site and that violates copyright law.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    It was being "performed" as though it was on the hotlinker's site and that violates copyright law.
    Bingo Web, the problem as I saw it is that it was made to have the "appearance" of being on the hotlinkers site. Therein lies the problem. I would suspect the the linkers intent was not totally above board, so he rolled the dice and took his chances! (wow, I gotta get LV out of my system)

Alan
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

On a sort-of related issue, I've recently seen some web sites that use videos from YouTube. They hotlink to the file, so it plays on their own web pages. This must be against some rule, though I see it ore often and can find nothing on the YouTube site saying it is not allowed.

Anyone heard anything of it?

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ward
    On a sort-of related issue, I've recently seen some web sites that use videos from YouTube. They hotlink to the file, so it plays on their own web pages. This must be against some rule, though I see it ore often and can find nothing on the YouTube site saying it is not allowed.
    Anyone heard anything of it?

On almost any page that has a video, there is embedding code. Youtube encourages it. Google has the same.

Think about it - content they "control" that can go on other sites and those sites can place ads around it... but what ads... does the google purchase of youtube start making sense?

Chet

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread