Adwords tracking for affiliate website
    I'm buying traffic from Google Adwords and sending it to my website and then on to Clickbank merchants. Clickbank allows an 8 character tracking ID to be added to the affiliate URL like this: http://AFFILIATE.PUBLISHER.hop.click.../?tid=XXXXXXXX

In order for me to be able to track where my sales are coming from, I'd need these links to be created dynamically in the following way. If someone clicks an Adwords ad, I want them to get an 8 character alphanumeric tracking ID assigned to them, which is then saved in a cookie, so anytime they click on an affiliate link on my website, that tracking ID would be added onto the link. I also want the cookie saved in their browser, so even if they return later and click on links, they would still get the appropriate tracking code attached.

I'm guessing that the problem here is assigning an 8 character code to each Adwords ad group. I just don't know if that is possible, but it must be somehow.

I know nothing at all about programming, but I was told this could work, so can someone please tell me if this is possible, where I can look for a programmer, or if there's a better solution.

Thanks.

Not possible if you are sending them direct from AdWords to ClickBank. You would need to use an intermediary link to a domain you control, and then redirect them to ClickBank (who then redirects to the merchant). At the domain you control it should be possible to program it to do what you require....
    [URL=http://ProxyGrader.com]ProxyGrader.com[/URL]
    How anonymous is your proxy?

I'm not using any redirects. I'm sending them to a review on my site, from which they have to click to get to the merchant's page. But I'm assuming it can be done then? Any advice on where I can find someone to code this?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by marmal
    I'm not using any redirects. I'm sending them to a review on my site, from which they have to click to get to the merchant's page. But I'm assuming it can be done then? Any advice on where I can find someone to code this?

Thanks.

Hi Marmal,

There is a new product called Xtreme conversions. Basically, what this does is to track the exact keywords which triggered your sales.. This concept is powerful stuff...

Also, I'm not sure if anyone could put this to their use, but I'm sharing a simple tool I made.

for example(considering clickbank), output of these tool will be a form of :

"harley davidson jackets"**0.5**http://you.m.hop.clickbank.net/?tid=1234
    "harley davidson motorcycles"**0.5**http://you.m.hop.clickbank.net/?tid=1235
    "harley davidson attire"**0.5**http://you.m.hop.clickbank.net/?tid=1236

What you do is to paste this to 'edit keywords and ppc' box in adwords.
    When you get a sale from clickbank, and it shows 1235, then you'll know that
    the sale came from "harley davidson motorcycles".

That's it... It could not compare to the current paid tools of it's kind, but it's free... you can find this at www.wlmcamp.com/w/

Hope this helps...

Hello, I have been searching the forum for words on 'redirects' but can't find exactly what I'm looking for......
    I have been warned by some people that my affiliate ref # (when advertising the merchants products) may be stolen/changed/ and I won't get the commission.......
    So I was looking for a way of hiding my real url - got ZeroWeb to make it a short url
    instead of the long shareasale url.......

Now - after reading about 'cloaking' I'm afraid I made it worse for myself??
    Will Google take my pages out from indexed pages?
    Will Shareasale have me banned for using it?
    Is there a better way of hiding my referral # ?

Example:
    my real domain and page is www.inmobiz.com/lifelock.html
    my short url is www.lifelock.80t.com (the real url behind this is of course my affliate url)

Any response would be greatly appreciated,
    inmobiz

Now - after reading about 'cloaking' I'm afraid I made it worse for myself?? Will Google take my pages out from indexed pages?
    People talk about affiliate link "cloaking" but that is usually not really cloaking. True cloaking involves showing totally different content to the SE spiders than you show to human visitors. (and search engines don't like it).

Affiliates who dont want their affiliate links to show can use methods like:
    altering them with javascript, using a link shortening service, using htaccess , using a redirection script (php), etc.

Some people believe that google will penalize your site if you don't alter your aff. links, but I've tried it both ways and never really saw a difference...

Thank you simcat
    for your reply !

Affiliates who dont want their affiliate links to show can use methods like:altering them with javascript, using a link shortening service, using htaccess , using a redirection script (php), etc.
    Since I'm not skilled with java scripting - nore am I very skilled in .php
    Do you know of any 'free to use' scripts that I could test on this??
    I saw somewhere how to use .htaccess for this - but now I can't find
    it again .......

My www.lifelock.80t.com is - me thinks - a shortening service...
    Thank you for keeping up with my silly questions.....

I'm trying hard to learn...
    inmobiz

There is a very good tutorial video by Jeremy Palmer on afflilate link cloaking at http://www.screencast.com/users/Jere...f-14d4dff3e42d

It's got great information on why you should cloak, and simple methods for cloaking links. php cloaking is actually very simple.

FYI, search on 'affiliate link cloaking' and you'll find tons of information.

That's where I found the video.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread