Thumbs down Termination of Rapid Satellite Affiliate Program
    Here's one of those ZERO-DAY notices that the most unethical affiliate programs love to spring on affiliates -- this one is owned by Circuit City -- and was managed by Kolimbo.

Termination of Rapid Satellite Affiliate Program

Dear Affiliates:

This letter is to inform you that Circuit City Stores, Inc. ("Circuit City") has elected to discontinue the operations of its Rapid Satellite business division effective as of January 25, 2007 (the "Termination Date").
    All sales transactions of DirecTV satellite services from www[.]rapidsatellite[.]com will cease as of the Termination Date, and as such the affiliate marketing program relating to such website shall be deactivated as of such date. In connection with cessation of the Rapid Satellite business operations, Circuit City plans to settle all amounts outstanding with its affiliate network as quickly as possible.

We appreciate your past support of the Rapid Satellite affiliate program. If you have any immediate questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact the manager for Rapid Satellite business termination at rapidsatellite[a]circuitcity.com or reach us at (804) 527-4000 ext. 4197.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Dated: 1/25/07 [sent > 7:09PM EST]

Regards,
    Rapid Satellite Affiliate Program

Doncha just love when they do that kind of thing... -- it's unsigned of course -- and to add further insult to injury they actually invite hapless affiliate-referred customers who end up there to come on over to circuit city for their satellite tv needs. what jerks!
    some of this stuff sucks

Did anyone here make anything with them? I sent well over 1K clicks (seo, not ppc) their way last year from one of my sites with ZERO sales. I had a similar page for their main competitor on the same website and made 11 sales on fewer clicks!

I did..but years go. once circuit city bought them out sales went down the toilet.

Wow. Some of you might remember that they did the exact same thing to international affiliates some 2 years ago when Rapid terminated all international agents without any prior notice. They even failed to pay us on systems activated prior to the date of termination although they said they would. I can't believe they can actually get away with such practices.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Another major merchant "middleman" marketing relationship bites the dust.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

I also got this email (and thought about posting it) but I'd never actually sent any traffic to them, and quite honestly I can understand what probably happened here:

Circuit City bought this company and probably continued to operate it separately through some contractual date (perhaps for some back-end payment provision). That date approached, and some high-up person at Circuit City said, "close this down and merge the operations into ours now." That person probably doesn't even know what an affiliate program is. And although that person probably made the decision many months ago, people in the subsidiary were probably not told until this week.

The execs at Circuit City don't know, and the folks who sent the email (who probably received a layoff notice) probably don't really care, about the damage being done to Circuit City's reputation by screwing affiliates.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Rapid was once a shining star of a program, then they let in parasites galore. This story has so many twists and turns I can't begin to retell it all.

I can say that Circuit City isn't the one to aim your ire at here.

Zero day notice is a slap, but given what I know about what all they were doing there, it's for the best if you're an affiliate.

My gut tells me there's a phoenix here waiting to be reborn - do that, and I guarantee you'll get burned again later.

If you need a directv replacement, check out:
    gregory santore / revenueallies.com
    alan earl / usdirect.com

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    My gut tells me there's a phoenix here waiting to be reborn - do that, and I guarantee you'll get burned again later.
    I don't understand what you mean by this.

The truth is DirecTV seem to do everything in their power to control online sales themselves (no affiliates).

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    I also got this email (and thought about posting it) but I'd never actually sent any traffic to them, and quite honestly I can understand what probably happened here:

Circuit City bought this company and probably continued to operate it separately through some contractual date (perhaps for some back-end payment provision). That date approached, and some high-up person at Circuit City said, "close this down and merge the operations into ours now." That person probably doesn't even know what an affiliate program is. And although that person probably made the decision many months ago, people in the subsidiary were probably not told until this week.

The execs at Circuit City don't know, and the folks who sent the email (who probably received a layoff notice) probably don't really care, about the damage being done to Circuit City's reputation by screwing affiliates.
    Well...You're sure willing to cut them alot more slack than I am/would. I don't care if some 300Xthe-earnings-of-hourly-employees-multi-6-figure-plus-earning-exec further up the food chain 'didn't know' -- they are the ones who ought to be held accountable -- it should (and rightfully does) reflect poorly on Circuit City.

Seems so similar to some of the doo-doo this country is in now. 'Oh gee we screwed up so unfortunate those dumb order-following idealistic youngsters are paying for our hubris.'

What's that saying: to those whom much has been given, more is required/expected/demanded ... or the ones with the most power and money have the most responsibility and owe the most back to society ... something along those lines.
    some of this stuff sucks

Quote Originally Posted by BPP
    Well...You're sure willing to cut them alot more slack than I am/would. I don't care if some 300Xthe-earnings-of-hourly-employees-multi-6-figure-plus-earning-exec further up the food chain 'didn't know' -- they are the ones who ought to be held accountable -- it should (and rightfully does) reflect poorly on Circuit City.
    You're right: it does reflect poorly on Circuit City, because this is the same corporate mentality that might later say, "why are we giving away money to webmasters?" and cancel the Circuit City affiliate program, probably also without notice.

I didn't intend to convey that it was "okay" but that there was quite simply nothing an affiliate could do about it (other than terminating any other relationships with Circuit City -- which is the reaction I implied when I said that the company didn't care about screwing its affiliates). It's also the kind of event that's not really possible to predict, nor to change or prevent from happening in the future at other merchant companies.

In other words, getting mad would accomplish nothing in this situation, so I didn't get mad. (Again, although I had joined their program at some point, I have never posted any links for these entities, so I am quite removed from any "dispute" here.)

CC got into people and tactics that they didn't understand. It took a long time for things to be exposed for what they were. CC never ran this show, the person they acquired it from did, he stayed on per the deal that was initially made. Once that deal finally had lapsed, poof, CC shut it down. If you were still with Rapid at this point, I assert CC just did you a huge favor by finally telling you to get off your butt and make a change.

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    You're right: it does reflect poorly on Circuit City, because this is the same corporate mentality that might later say, "why are we giving away money to webmasters?" and cancel the Circuit City affiliate program, probably also without notice.

I didn't intend to convey that it was "okay" but that there was quite simply nothing an affiliate could do about it (other than terminating any other relationships with Circuit City -- which is the reaction I implied when I said that the company didn't care about screwing its affiliates). It's also the kind of event that's not really possible to predict, nor to change or prevent from happening in the future at other merchant companies.

In other words, getting mad would accomplish nothing in this situation, so I didn't get mad. (Again, although I had joined their program at some point, I have never posted any links for these entities, so I am quite removed from any "dispute" here.)
    okay -- Yes I see what you are saying -- defintely makes sense

thanks!
    some of this stuff sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    CC got into people and tactics that they didn't understand. It took a long time for things to be exposed for what they were. CC never ran this show, the person they acquired it from did, he stayed on per the deal that was initially made. Once that deal finally had lapsed, poof, CC shut it down. If you were still with Rapid at this point, I assert CC just did you a huge favor by finally telling you to get off your butt and make a change.

Helpful to know the background now ... how would anyone know this -- sounds like blaming the victim instead of holding CC accountable. Seems to be a lot of that going around. Stomp on the little guys because no one can seem to have backbone enough to stand up to the real culprits. No thanks.
    some of this stuff sucks

affs got hurt, but besides that, no little guy got stomped, he got rich. I guarantee you that CC never wanted things to turn out this way - you don't invest / buy a company to exapnd into new areas and later shutter it, kissing your money and time and efforts buh bye and go home smiling about how wise your investment was.

you should have migrated a long time ago based on deteriorating performance, if you didn't, you weren't paying attention to your numbers. so it remains my opinion that CC acted in your interests at this point by forcing you to find more fertile grounds.

a little notice might have been more courteous, but as i've already said, you should have seen this coming a long, long time ago.

btw, it takes no backbone to hurl insults wrongly at CC, it only takes a little ignorance.

anyhow, obviously, with it shuttered, it's time to move on regardless. good luck!

DONUTS knows of what he speaks re: DTV/CC/Rapid ...
    GDS

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread