I have a music domain that I want to develop into a site. I am doing a little research on what kind of site I want it to be. What I am wondering is if review type sites convert well. You know those sites that review cd's, books, electronics, products, etc... Thanks.

"If you don't make mistakes, you aren't really trying" - Coleman Hawkins

I don't have any review sites, though I do have one review page that pays the server fees. That's about it, though.

For some things, I can't imagine that it would help conversions, just encourage lookie-loo content oriented readers, like reviews of CD's and music. My gut (and I have little to no retail experience, mind you) tells me that in general folks know what they want to buy when they log on.

That said, the review would make great spider food. Couple it with good ad pitch and a call to action to BUY it, it could work. But I don't know, I've never done it. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

For other things, I can't imagine someone buying it without reading reviews: like digital cameras and electronics. Everytime I try to get my act together to buy a digital camera, I end up cruising review sites. Is it XP compatible, does it have flash, is it at all quality, who has the best price? Darn, I still can't afford the one I want.

Which brings me to the point that the review sites that include live or updated price comparison are extremely attractive. I'm not up to writing that kind of script, so I've never considered setting up such a site.

I have some exercise video pages that convert like hotcakes. I've never seen the videos (though I keep thinking I should buy them since everyone else is, lol). I just wrote a good ad pitch (rare with me, I know, but I am proud of that one), not a review. Luckily, I sell them through Amazon, so the visitor gets reviews when they get there.

HTH

Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent email left on the planet.

IMHO I think they work.

Reviewing books, electronics and products are pretty much a good bet (I use a combination of product description and ad copy) but I'm with webmistress when it comes to CD reviews (even though I don't have experience selling music CD's).

-----------------------------------------------------------
    Website Tools | Webmaster Resources | Website Articles

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Can't say for sites selling music, but you have sites like epinions.com that base their total system around reviews and they are doing very well.

Our best partners are review sites, BUT they only focus on positive reviews, i.e. every link is a potential sale, no space is wasted on saying what stinks

Cheers

Chris

Chris Sanderson
    Mondera Partner Management
    Mondera : Click Here
    Mondera Partner Support Zone : Click Here

Web Studio-1 Solutions Co., Ltd : Click Here
    Microsoft Certified Partner
    Affiliate Management and Marketing Solutions

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Personally I wouldn't do reviews of anything but I think there are some products where it might work. The only time I myself look at reviews is if I'm considering buying something relatively expensive. (Mondera's products don't sound cheap--I saw diamonds mentioned in another thread--so that would explain the success of review sites with that program.) And even with the expensive stuff, if I'm going to bother seeking reviews I will also seek the lowest price. So if you decide to go ahead and review things, make sure you have a nice, cheap merchant on there because shopping for price is a natural followup to "shopping" for reviews.

For CDs in particular, I wouldn't expect that many people would be persuaded by a review. I think most people know what they like in music and don't really need someone to tell them what sounds good! But there may be some exceptions...whether or not there's enough to make a music review site financially worthwhile I don't know.

There is no knowledge that is not power.~~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Affiliate Manager
    For travel, reviews are definately a help for bookings

Jessica Hutson
    Manager of Affiliate Relations/Development
    Interactive Affiliate Network
    http://affiliate.travelnow.com/affiliates/home.jsp

ABW Ambassador
    I think most people read reviews of music and games not to look before a purchase, but to validate their purchase or opinion after the fact. Neither convert well.

Chet

Thanks for the replys everyone. My gut feeling is that is seems that they might not do to well converting music. I am still trying to come up with a website idea for my music domain, whether it be cd's, instruments, etc. I know that market is so saturated, so it is hard for me being a newbie at this to come up with an idea that will make me some extra money. Thanks again for the info.

Yeah, I have to add my 2 cents' here - I doubt very much music CD reviews would convert. Exercise and instructional video reviews do convert because people want to know what's on the tape, how difficult they are, etc., before they buy. But people buy music because they heard a song on the radio, or they already are familiar with the artist or a trusted friend recommended the CD - never because of a review.

How do I know this? I've been a rock critic since 1987! I've written probably hundreds of reviews for loads of glossy magazines and websites. During the hard rock days of the late '80s and early '90s, I was part of a very select, influential group of rock writers. And I seriously doubt any review I wrote ever inspired anyone to buy a CD - if anything, the reviews only served to confirm an opinion someone already had (or p*ss 'em off!).

I'm not sure, at this late date, what would be a good idea for a music site that converts. I would say that, like anything else, you need to find a good angle and stick with it. And one big caveat - don't get involved with a style of music that you don't already intimately know inside and out - fans of any given style of music, whether it be rap, alt rock, trance, metal or whatever, can smell a phony a mile away and will avoid you like the plague if they sense you don't know what you're talking about (although I assume, since you are thinking of having a music site, that there is a genre you're passionate about).

Anyhow, that's my input on the matter.

J

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>...I am still trying to come up with a website idea for my music domain, whether it be cd's, instruments, etc. I know that market is so saturated, so it is hard for me being a newbie at this to come up with an idea that will make me some extra money...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>You must try to target a smaller niche if you want to be seen in the crowd. Kind of like having green hair on the first day at school. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

It's easier to get traffic if you just target 80's music, for instance. Or just Fender guitars, or wireless microphones, or Country Sheet Music.

I know quite a few musicians. They're looking for "Artist Promotion" sites, but can't find any good ones. It's relatively simple to get high in the rankings on that phrase. I have a friend up there, but he only targets Scandinavia. In just a short time, (&lt;6 months) he's become Scandinavian representative for a lot of artists ( x% commission on gigs). Special hosting and marketing packages/services for artists wanting to get heard/seen online is one niche that isn't exploited fully yet. But, of course that requires that you have something of value to offer.

Somehow you should try to mix the music domain with something you already know a good deal about, and target a niche with little competition. But it is possible to sell things you didn't know ditty about before you started, so don't let that stop you.

Just use your imagination.

ABW Ambassador
    Speaking as the webmaster of several music sites, content and reviews makes is difficult to sell. We too have tightened our niche, and that worked out better...I can't get posters or CD's to convert, but I can get ticket dealers to convert. One thing very positive I have found in our case is it helps us sell our web hosting. A large portion of our clients are musicians, but it takes a while to sell them (longer than a regular business). In fact, at one time, TH Media was specifically dedicated to music sites...we then started getting inquiries from other types of sites so we began gearing more towards business hosting...that took off so well, only wish I would have done it sooner...:)

TH Media-Web Solutions For The Small Business
    Check Out The TH Media Affiliate Program

Thanks everyone for the ideas. You got my mind started turning up some ideas. Music is one of my main passions and I know a lot about it, so hopefully I can create a succesful site around that. Thanks again.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    In my humble opinion: "if you can't dance to it ..it isn't music". Post a special page listing the Grammy top album of the year award winners since 1965. Link to a source with at a great price for each. Then again I'm into small timers like Michael Bolton -Celion -Rebba -Gladdas -P. Gabriel -38 Special -Tower of Power -Hall&Oats -Marvin -Prince -Alabama -Chicago- BabyFace -Air Supply -Eagles -Santana- and others who today's so called musicians abhor!

WebMaster Mike

I've thought about using some of my "spare" domains on review-type sites; but for now I can only speak as someone who buys a lot of stuff online. As I see it there are 2 types of review sites - those that are primarily ecommerce sites such as eBags and Amazon that have a "Review this product" section, and those that are primarily review content sites with Buy links, such as Epinions and Fitness Infomercial Review.

IMHO, the former is much more effective in getting me to buy a product. I am already in the mood to buy *something*, I am just not sure quite which widget I want, or whether the widget I DO want will indeed perform to expectations. The reviews are very helpful in getting me to make the decision, and if I am "just looking", a raving review of an item + a sale, free shipping, or lowered price, will likely get me to buy NOW instead of waiting, or get me to buy more "while I am at it" - ie, buy the matching computer case to go with the backpack.

OTOH, if I am looking to buy something and come across an Epinions or type of site, I might read some of the reviews to see if the product is "any good at all", but I won't do my buying there; I'll shop the lowest price or best deal I can find.

One more thing - IMHO you should let your visitors do the work; use something like PHPNuke where they can write and post their own reviews rather than writing all the content yourself.

{

Politics as usual : It's not what you know but who you know that's important [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador affiliatemakeover's Avatar
    Review site=Content Site?

If so, in my experience, they don't convert as well as straight up product sites.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread