Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    AM sends email out to Affiliate list with our email Address Showing
    Well I guess I can expect another load of spam in the coming weeks now that my email has been sent out to everyone on this idiots list.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

Sue them

ABW Ambassador
    He probably has no idea, I think AM's should pass some sort of test or get a license to run a program. Maybe they could be forced to buy Geno's book or get a lesson from Andy R.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Yep, that qualifies as a bonehead move. I would imagine that you have already brought it to his/her attention - so hopefully it does not happen again.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

I don't know any details but keep in mind it could have been an honest mistake. Someone could read Geno's book (which I did - don't recall anything in there about this), take Andy's course, be an AM for 10 years and still make a human error. It just happens.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

i guess with the affiliate industry booming and many of the merchants are starting an affiliate program for their site, with no knowledge of this industry they hire an AM who i guess is equally ignorant about the industry..atleast about how to manage a affilaite program....anybody and everybody who has done some affiliate marketing stuff or has read about affiliate marketing calls himself a AM and gets the AM job.

this industry is seriously short of pro and quality affiliate manager...i guess it can be a good business to start a affilate manager coaching program...yes andy is doing it...but theres space for more.
    Last edited by id2k; January 26th, 2007 at 08:31 AM.

I am curious - how does making a mistake like this not make him a pro?
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

I'm wondering why the process of sending mail to the affiliates isn't streamlined to avoid such mistakes. Why haven't they paid a web developer to create an admin page from which the AM sends out his messages?

People make mistakes, but a good company will put certain safeguards in place to make it a supreme act of idiocy to make the most hurtful of mistakes (such as releasing private information in a manner that's inconsistent with their privacy policy).

You could retaliate by signing up the AM's email into one of those sketchy single opt-in mailing lists.

what is AM ?

Affiliate Manager

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I'm sure the instruction manual for properly filling in the "to" info, and hitting an e-mail "send" button can be written on a beer bottle coaster. (new merchant product born) Stupid things happen when folks demand instant gratification. Communication between AM and affiliate is supposed to at least appear ...personal. So learn the diff between CC and BCC in the "to" e-mail section. LOL.

Just yesterday a client called me AFTER paying some GeekSquard" idiot $120.00 to come and fix the intermitent loss of power and constant rebooting of his office puter. Client wanted to borrow my extra laptop. Seems the service guy diagnosed the problem on the Dell mini-desktop as a power supply problem requiring ordering a special power supply unit after surfiing the web and seeing the constant re-boot situation. When I got there I walked over to the desktop to test it. Same intermitent re-boots after power cutoffs. Took me 5 seconds to fix the problem. I reached around the desktop and reseated the power cord there and at the wall socket. Whalla .... it worked perfectly.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    When i was in the advertising end of this buss, I worked as the online advertising manager for the Miami Herald Online, a Knight Ridder property at the time. We used to get advertising agencies sending out their advertising calendars and promotions to their clients and new prospective acounts.

Some sharp account executives would "CC" the entire list. We would love it and send a "reply to all" but we would "bcc" it, with our promotions and thanking the moron for his or her account list gift ....

We knew of at least 2 people that got fired for "handing over" their client list...
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Rodriguez
    We would love it and send a "reply to all" but we would "bcc" it, with our promotions and thanking the moron for his or her account list gift ....
    That could be the greatest thing I've ever heard! Sure your email might get spammed by people with similar mindsets, but why not see if you can get a couple of bucks out of the trouble?

Quote Originally Posted by patrick24601
    > "I don't know any details but keep in mind it could have been an honest mistake. Someone could read Geno's book (which I did - don't recall anything in there about this), take Andy's course, be an AM for 10 years and still make a human error. It just happens." <
    Actually, I'm somewhat surprised at how much things have improved. Back in 1999-2000, it was probably a monthly event for me to see an email from an affiliate manager that included all the recipient emails in the "to" or "cc" field (keep in mind that your competitors have all signed up as affiliates, so that when you send an email like this, you're giving your complete affiliate list to your competitors).

I still see this happen, but probably only once every six months.

A more common annoyance lately is when I get affiliate-recruitment emails where the "to" field lists the webmaster of some site that competes with one of my sites (my address was one of the BCCs); at least once a month I get a recruitment email where the merchant includes the name of a competing web site in the body of the email (something like: "Dear Mark Welch: We'd like you to place our affiliate links on your web site at http://www.Google.com/").

I did just start getting spam addressed to an email address that I formerly used as my CJ affiliate login; ironically, I changed it because CJ complained to me that its emails weren't getting to me. Apparently somebody swiped or stole a list from CJ or one of its merchants; but because I use "coded" email addresses when signing up at most web sites, I can easily filter those spams.

ABW Ambassador
    Sometimes things just happen. It's hard to build in safety nets for EVERYTHING. There have been many times I wish that I hadn't hit the send key. (Or made a comment with the office door open, and not known who was outside in the hall)

To my mind, this one instance doesn't make anyone a bad AM, unless this is one bad move in a long string of them.

Horsehockey!

This is 2007 and any way you slice it, it's a privacy violation - Heads should roll! Forward the mail to legal @ merchant and explain that you will not allow this to happen again because if nothing is done, you will keep getting victimized by the fault of these AMs.

The suggestion of retaliating with the unauthorized email opt-in is definitely not an answer, it only creates another problem and quite frankly I am ashamed that it was even posted.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Quote Originally Posted by glinted
    Well I guess I can expect another load of spam in the coming weeks now that my email has been sent out to everyone on this idiots list.
    It's a stupid mistake, especially for this day and age. I guess they could've done worse...like figured out how to mistakenly send account info to every recipient on that list...

Just curious - did they try to apologize at all? Or are they too proud to do so?

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    The suggestion of retaliating with the unauthorized email opt-in is definitely not an answer, it only creates another problem and quite frankly I am ashamed that it was even posted.
    For the record, I don't actually endorse such a response. I tried employing the as a way of marking the sarcasm so as to keep it from being misunderstood, but I suppose I was less than clear. I guess I can always revert to the old J/K...

Perhaps this is a classic example of people making mistakes? That said, I still think that an AM should have to go through certain protocols to have access to the actual contact information of any specific affiliate. And certainly not when sending emails to large lists of people! Write a script that will mail the message to members of selected lists, and get the control out of the hand of a human! IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by glinted
    Was this from a CJ program, and if so, which program? CJ merchants can't get a raw list of all affiliates' email addresses to my knowledge, though they can manually pull emails of people who have contacted them before.

Expect this to happen a lot more when Office 2007 hits the market, th BCC field is hidden by default.

Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    Expect this to happen a lot more when Office 2007 hits the market, th BCC field is hidden by default.
    It's already hidden in my default installation of Outlook 2003.

http and a telephoto
    Email 101 is to not cc all the recipients. If it is a CJ merchant, then the question is how they got the email addresses.... they would have had to cut and pasted from the CJ interface to their own email program.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    glinted, did you send an apology letter to the AM yet? Obviously this was your fault, the AM should not be held responsible as they are an AM and just need to be educated. Maybe with your apology you can include a free copy of "email for dummies"? Here's hoping the AM accepts your apology.

Chet

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    Anyone that emails multiple recipients on their own should know enough to unhide bcc. This is basic basic basic privacy and email use.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    Yep, that qualifies as a bonehead move. I would imagine that you have already brought it to his/her attention - so hopefully it does not happen again.
    yes I sent them an email to let them know about the same time I posted here.

I don't know any details but keep in mind it could have been an honest mistake.
    I can understand that, I even did a similar thing back in the 90's but you would expect most people would know how to send a Newsletter in 2007, especially AM's and they should always be fully tested before been submitted. I know when I worked as a Web developer at the studio we had a certain procedure setup where we would thoroughly test the newsletter before been sent to subscribers. it's not a huge problem as I will be changing that email address anyway soon for my CJ account as I have been receiving spam from other (most likely former AM's) which I have written about here in the past. It's just worrying that these unqualified AM's have access to our email.

this industry is seriously short of pro and quality affiliate manager...
    I agree, there are many good ones but a number of AM's that need tuition.

People make mistakes, but a good company will put certain safeguards in place to make it a supreme act of idiocy to make the most hurtful of mistakes
    Yes agreed, as I wrote above

Some sharp account executives would "CC" the entire list.
    It can be interesting that's for sure, at least I know who else is my competitors, just glad my main website is not part of the email address. I have witnessed clients in past send out all their address book to me on several occasions lol.

A more common annoyance lately is when I get affiliate-recruitment emails where the "to" field lists the webmaster of some site that competes with one of my sites
    that does sound scary

This is 2007 and any way you slice it, it's a privacy violation - Heads should roll! Forward the mail to legal @ merchant...
    I replied back to let them know, it certainly is a privacy violation

Just curious - did they try to apologize at all? Or are they too proud to do so?
    I never herd back, maybe I will after the weekend...

I still think that an AM should have to go through certain protocols to have access to the actual contact information of any specific affiliate
    Exactly!

Was this from a CJ program, and if so, which program? CJ merchants can't get a raw list of all affiliates' email addresses to my knowledge, though they can manually pull emails of people who have contacted them before.
    Yes it is a CJ program of course. I won't disclose the merchant. In fact I see that this merchant is one I signed up with sometime ago but have yet to get links online so I think the addresses in the email are inactive affiliates like myself. There is 22 email addresses in the email so it could have been worse. I have never contacted this merchant to my knowledge and if I had then they would be active so I have no idea how they got my email?

Expect this to happen a lot more when Office 2007
    I left outlook 2 years ago for Thunderbird and never had any email virus's and crashes like I used to have with that program. Outlook does have great integration & features but just had too many security problems in the end. Try TB and your never look back...

If it is a CJ merchant, then the question is how they got the email addresses....
    as I wrote above, sure is strange!

glinted, did you send an apology letter to the AM yet?
    What are you talking about???? please read my first message again (with your eyes open) lol

This is basic basic basic privacy and email use.
    yeah sure is pretty sloppy business practice.
    Last edited by glittered; January 26th, 2007 at 09:52 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast