Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Affiliate Manager
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2007
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    191
    Can Reversal Rate Hurt A new Merchant?
    Hello Helpful ABestWeb surfers,

    We are a new merchant with shareasale. We have been with them a week or so and have already accumulated about 50 affiliates. We dont have a lot of the affiliates actively promoting the program yet but I'm sure in time we will. My question is this. We had an affiliate violate our PPC terms or service (by bidding on our company name) which resulted in a sale. We instantly voided the transaction because it was expressly against our terms of service. We now have seen a few of our affiliates drop the program stating that they don't like our 100% reversal rate. The reversal rate is only that high because we are new and the affiliate broke the rules, the last thing we want to do is reversal valid transactions.

    We are an honest company offering great affiliate terms looking to build long term profitable relationships with high quality affiliates. Unfortunately our program reversal statistic numbers now look a little iffy due to our tough start with that affiliate. What is your advice here?

    -Brandon

  2. #2
    Outsourced Program Manager Angel Djambazov's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 8th, 2005
    Posts
    1,019
    Hi Brandon,

    A high reversal rate will often impact the relationship between a merchant and an affiliate, especially if that affiliate is heavy in search. As your sales get processed through SAS that figure should level out very quickly and seem less problematic. Ideally if you can keep it under 10% it shouldn't be an issue with your affiliates.

    Angel
    Angel Djambazov
    Managing Edtior ReveNews
    OPM for Keen Shoes and Graphicly.com

  3. #3
    Affiliate Manager
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2007
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    191
    Quote Originally Posted by Onlineshoes MGR
    Hi Brandon,

    A high reversal rate will often impact the relationship between a merchant and an affiliate, especially if that affiliate is heavy in search. As your sales get processed through SAS that figure should level out very quickly and seem less problematic. Ideally if you can keep it under 10% it shouldn't be an issue with your affiliates.

    Angel
    thanks for the reply. Just stinks that I had to start the program with a problematic affiliate.

  4. #4
    Affiliate Manager adambha's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 20th, 2006
    Posts
    301
    Quote Originally Posted by sthbodyjewelry
    Just stinks that I had to start the program with a problematic affiliate.
    Now, at this point how much would you pay to 'undo' this situation?

    It might be worth honoring the sale. Of course, this sets a poor precedent with the offending affiliate, but if the affiliate now understands your TOS then it's a solution.

  5. #5
    Affiliate Manager
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2007
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    191
    Quote Originally Posted by adambha
    Now, at this point how much would you pay to 'undo' this situation?

    It might be worth honoring the sale. Of course, this sets a poor precedent with the offending affiliate, but if the affiliate now understands your TOS then it's a solution.
    I thought of that and in hindsight i would have no problem paying the sale out to undo this problem. I emailed shareasale@shareasale.com a few days ago for help and they STILL haven't gotten back to me.

    Do you know how to go about undoing this? Any help would be appreciated.

  6. #6
    Analytics Dude Kevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    5,904
    That is a rough break. You've done a nice job actually USING the PPC tool that SAS gave you. Many merchants don't...
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

    Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

  7. #7
    Affiliate Manager
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2007
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    191
    Quote Originally Posted by Noth
    That is a rough break. You've done a nice job actually USING the PPC tool that SAS gave you. Many merchants don't...
    Absolutely,

    Trust me, we don't want any problems. We have very few rules when it comes to our affiliate program. We want to give everyone the freedom to promote the best way they deem fit ie. lenient PPC rules, Full Data Feed, 90 day cookies. We have no problem paying out thousands in commissions as long as they are legitimate sales.

    I am sure the program will get past it. Everyone has their minor bumps in the road.

    Thanks for everyones help.

    -Brandon

  8. #8
    ABW Ambassador thecool's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 19th, 2005
    Location
    Hot Springs Village, Arkansas
    Posts
    608
    Banner files too large
    Brandn,

    I joined your program but am unable to use the banners that you have presently. The file sizes are entirely too large. The need to be closer to 15K.

    I will be using the page maker to get product links up. Hope to see some appropriately sized banners soon.

    On the information page where I joined, the reversal rate says N/A.

    Oops, Your thumbnail images are way too large to use on my product pages. They are super large. Hopefully you can correct this soon.

    Gene
    TCS
    Last edited by thecool; January 26th, 2007 at 03:34 PM.

  9. #9
    Affiliate Manager
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2007
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    191
    Quote Originally Posted by thecool
    Brandn,

    I joined your program but am unable to use the banners that you have presently. The file sizes are entirely too large. The need to be closer to 15K.

    I will be using the page maker to get product links up. Hope to see some appropeiately sized banners soon.

    On the information page where I joined, the reversal rate says N/A.

    Gene
    TCS
    I didnt realize they were so big. Let me work on that for you and our other affiliates. Is there a particular banner you were interested in because i can work on that one first.

  10. #10
    ABW Ambassador thecool's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 19th, 2005
    Location
    Hot Springs Village, Arkansas
    Posts
    608
    Brandon,

    I am more concerned with the thumbnail images in the datafeed. However, I usually make use of 468x60, 125x125 banners, 120x240 and 160x600.

    Thanks,

    Gene
    TCS

  11. #11
    Affiliate Manager
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2007
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    191
    Quote Originally Posted by thecool
    Brandon,

    I am more concerned with the thumbnail images in the datafeed. However, I usually make use of 468x60, 125x125 banners, 120x240 and 160x600.

    Thanks,

    Gene
    TCS
    In the datafeed MOST of the pictures should be between 15-20k - I checked a bunch of random pictures and they all seemed in line with that number. We are however working on an upgrade for our website that makes smaller thumbnails. The release of that upgrade will coincide with a site redesign we have in the works. Thanks for joining our program, I will work with you on any special requets you have just shoot me an email on private message or through the shareasale console.

  12. #12
    Affiliate Manager adambha's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 20th, 2006
    Posts
    301
    Quote Originally Posted by sthbodyjewelry
    Do you know how to go about undoing this? Any help would be appreciated.
    No, I'm not sure how to do this but the folks at SAS should be getting back to you with answers.

  13. #13
    Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    12,817
    The SAS people went to the Affiliate Summit in Vegas, that's why the lack of response so far. But it seems like some are trickling back in (to ABW) so things should be getting back to normal soon.

    I'd hold off before "undoing" anything! Wait until Monday and then try to catch Brian. He may come in even sooner (no guarantees).

    If you just pay that commission, it may just make a 50% reversale rate (the original sale that was reversed, and then another commission paid out--2 seperate transactions), which isn't much more impressive...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

  14. #14
    Affiliate Manager
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2007
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    191
    Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    The SAS people went to the Affiliate Summit in Vegas, that's why the lack of response so far. But it seems like some are trickling back in (to ABW) so things should be getting back to normal soon.

    I'd hold off before "undoing" anything! Wait until Monday and then try to catch Brian. He may come in even sooner (no guarantees).

    If you just pay that commission, it may just make a 50% reversale rate (the original sale that was reversed, and then another commission paid out--2 seperate transactions), which isn't much more impressive...
    Thanks for that i'll try to get Brian, does he have a direct contact or do i have to use the standary shareasale@shareasale.com? Thanks again

  15. #15
    Kung Fu Master Eathan's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    1,833
    Brandon, I am sorry you hit this hurdle. I hope they can get it sorted out for you.

    I tried to advise against reversing the transaction when you first posted about it, not because you weren't justified, but because new programs at Shareasale don't seem to get much traction until they establish solid numbers. It's unfortunate when establishing those numbers means rewarding affiliates for violating your terms, but sometimes you have to bite the bullet.

    BTW, I hope this doesn't come across as an "I told you so" post. I'm also commiserating, having made a similar mistake early on that hurt my own program's numbers.

    Here's to a speedy recovery for us both!
    Eathan Mertz

    Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

  16. #16
    ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    3,657
    Brandon,

    Angel's advice in the 2nd post is probably the best... as your sales come in this number will level out and become much more reflective of your program.
    Thanks,

    Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

  17. #17
    Affiliate Manager
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2007
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    191
    Quote Originally Posted by Eathan
    Brandon, I am sorry you hit this hurdle. I hope they can get it sorted out for you.

    I tried to advise against reversing the transaction when you first posted about it, not because you weren't justified, but because new programs at Shareasale don't seem to get much traction until they establish solid numbers. It's unfortunate when establishing those numbers means rewarding affiliates for violating your terms, but sometimes you have to bite the bullet.

    BTW, I hope this doesn't come across as an "I told you so" post. I'm also commiserating, having made a similar mistake early on that hurt my own program's numbers.

    Here's to a speedy recovery for us both!
    I definetly don't take it as i told you so. By the time you offered the advice i had already made the stupid decision of reversing the transaction.

  18. #18
    Affiliate Manager
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2007
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    191
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian - ShareASale
    Brandon,

    Angel's advice in the 2nd post is probably the best... as your sales come in this number will level out and become much more reflective of your program.
    Brian,

    I like your business but why is it that i still haven't received a reply to my email that i sent about a week ago regarding this issue. Communication is an important part of any business and I am a little disappointed so far about the communication we have received regarding startup problems we have been having. Even if a problem is small its comforting to know you have someone you can reach at the company you are paying to help you through a problem. I'm not really finding that with Shareasale so far. I call up and either get an answering machine or a girl who picks up and tells me to direct my question to shareasale@shareasale.com and the email doesn't get answered.

  19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: March 30th, 2011, 03:22 PM
  2. Reversal Rate Bug?
    By Trust in forum ShareASale - SAS
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: April 4th, 2008, 02:23 PM
  3. How does a merchant get a 125% reversal rate?
    By Alan Townsend in forum ShareASale - SAS
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: September 20th, 2007, 10:39 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •