Verbosely Virtuous Mutt spacedog's Avatar
    Wordtracker -- opinions?
    My apologies if this is in the wrong forum, but I think it applies to both PPC as well as Organic SERP research so I put it here. What are people's thoughts on the fairly expensive Wordtracker as a tool for finding good keywords? Worth the big bucks? Thus far I've relied on the free stuff: Overture Keyword Selector tool, Google Adwords and MSN adCenter keyword suggestion tools. Does Wordtracker really find any valuable specific keyword phrases beyond what the free services do, as they claim to? Overture/Yahoo's free tool has some extreme annoyances like not distinguishing between plural and singulars for broad keywords.

Based on some reviews I've read, WT has some disadvantages. Not having country-specific searches and only displaying 300 keyphrases per search (Overture seems to be almost infinite when I've searched it using a tool like RapidKeyword). Of course the 300 limitation is not a huge deal since you can take any of the phrases in the results, and do subsequent searches on them, but that's extra work. I do mostly PPC advertising at this point if that has any influence on your opinion of WT's usefulness.

Wordtracker is a UK company, which also causes me to hesitate a bit. Maybe that apprehension is unfounded, but of course as a US affiliate marketer I want to find out mostly keyword phrases of value to the US markets.

I appreciate any ABWers' input!

Outsourced Program Manager Affiliate Eagle's Avatar
    From my experience, worth every penny and then some.

Emilio
    Emilio Yepez
    Affiliate Program Manager
    www.lighthouseinternetmedia.com
    PH: 305 389 8955
    AIM: affiliateagle
    Email: emilio@lighthouseinternetmedia.com
    Follow Me On My Twitter

Programs Managed - Join Now! | Navarro.com|| OneWayFurniture | OnlyKidsHangers | EverythingHangers.com | RejuvByCaci.com |

to tell you the truth, it's a great service. I used it for a few months, but then switched over to www.keyworddiscovery.com. There are a few things that are nice in both of them, but I've really taken a liking to keyworddiscovery after a while (takes a bit more to figure it out, but it's worth it).

Verbosely Virtuous Mutt spacedog's Avatar
    Thanks MB! I hadn't even heard of keyworddiscovery before. Ouch, they're pretty expensive but if their info is that good it might be worth the investment. Both WT and KD have free trial searches so I'll have to do some testing. Too bad the free areas are very very limited in display of results so can't fully prove to me the products' potentials.

Anyone else with experience in either or both WT or KD?

I use both and prefer Keyword Discovery. Trellian (the guys that do KD) seems to be more on top of their game compared to WT. The interface for KD is easier for me to use. I can have more projects going in KD. I actually matched up keywords from my stat program with WT and KD a few weeks ago and the results I saw from actual traffic was much closer to the reports for keywords that KD gave me (as far as the order of which phrases were more popular). The trend graphs in KD are invaluable IMO. Not sure WT has those - haven't been in my account in a couple months because KD is so much better

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I haven't tried KW, so no comments on that one.

I've found WT to be very good. But occasionally, even they can get screwed up--probably from people doing repeated searches using some kind of bot.

They're also delayed on seasonal searches, due to the fact that they pull from the last 3 months' data. So you can see weird results like what seems to be people really wanting Christmas ornaments--in February.

But overall, they've been worth the money, and a good way to find gems to aim for on G.

As for their guesses as to which keywords are worth going after (the searches vs. competition calculation/KEI)...they seem good for G, but a bit too optimistic (and less accurate overall) when it comes to Y and MSN, in my experience.

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, I've moved over to KeywordDiscovery too - it's not really that expensive. Might move back to WordTracker as they have a UK specific keyword research tool coming very shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    As for their guesses as to which keywords are worth going after (the searches vs. competition calculation/KEI)...they seem good for G, but a bit too optimistic (and less accurate overall) when it comes to Y and MSN, in my experience.
    Yeah, I think the best way to think about both of these services is as a bit of a guide, and nothing more. I've gotten a lot of good keywords, and discovered some really good ones, but the numbers they post regarding these keywords always seem really inflated.

The KEI index is pretty spiffy, although not perfect, but it still gives a good understanding of which keywords are not as tapped as some of the other popular ones.

ABW Ambassador
    I use Wordtracker and find it very helpful. But as others have pointed out, there is a lag. So especially at this time of year, you have to be careful.

You also miss upcoming trends if you're not alert. But I've been watching keywords for about 2 years now, so it's gotten a little easier.

You also miss upcoming trends if you're not alert.
    That's where I think the trend graphs in Keyword Discovery are invaluable.

I get all my site ideas together and do a one day trial at wordtracker and spend a good chunk of the day there.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by nyfalcon
    I get all my site ideas together and do a one day trial at wordtracker and spend a good chunk of the day there.
    Just so you know, the one day trial is limited in a few ways, the primary one is that it only returns results for MSN, which for some people (many!) is useless.

I just started using WT and find it to be an excellent tool, but I now plan to check out KW as well now.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread