Question SID Tracking help, please?
    I have read the FAQ's on SID tracking 10 times and I just don't understand them. I really wish somebody would report instructions in a way that a kindergartener could understand them, then I wouldn't be here crying for assistance. I need to identify the crediting by username. How can I set up my links to do this? Right now I have it like this SID=%username% and someone else told me to do it like this SID=?mid?, but neither is working. My commission report does not tell me what username was the sale from. Can I get some guidance please?

Also, I am having trouble getting my avatar saved. I keep getting the message that the URL I am inputting is not valid, but I have the avatar working just fine in other forums. Does anyone know if animated avatars are not allowed and that could be the reason I am getting these strange error?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

you should be able to use the advanced settings and just input a sid word - not symbols, just the word. if you are building your own link add this at the end of the url "&SID=yourword" (without the quotations of course, and no spaces) ie. http://www.**************/click-1234...l&SID=yourword

Quote Originally Posted by Abigail
    you should be able to use the advanced settings and just input a sid word - not symbols, just the word. if you are building your own link add this at the end of the url "&SID=yourword" (without the quotations of course, and no spaces) ie. http://www.**************/click-1234...l&SID=yourword
    What word can I use that will allow for each transaction to post to my account and tell me what member of my incentivized site completed the transaction?

Does the word have to be provided by the merchant and so each different merchant would require a unique SID?

Do I have to create unique links for every member of my site and then use their username or email address for the SID on the unique links (I hope not, this would be too time-consuming and would require to much side updating as new members register)

I'm sorry, I just don't understand. Could you please show me an exact example with real info, not replace with data. I am very stupid about this stuff. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by gaqueenb
    Do I have to create unique links for every member of my site and then use their username or email address for the SID on the unique links (I hope not, this would be too time-consuming and would require to much side updating as new members register)
    Yes, you would need a unique identifier that would show the exact user that completed the transaction. This can be a username, an email address, or (ideally) a user ID number. If you program your site correctly, this should actually save you work, as your system can automatically insert the user's unique identifier into the link's SID for you.

In general, cash back and incentivized sites require a more sophisticated level of tracking than other affiliate sites, and I recommend not adopting this model unless you have decent programming knowledge, or can pay someone to program it for you.

SID allows you to track the link that was clicked, so a transaction will show against AcmeWidgets as a sale with the SID as whatever you decide on, maybe "blue-spotty-widget" for that particular product. It allows you to track, pages, groups of pages, products or however detailed you can be bothered to make the SID.

SID won't allow you to find out who made the purchase however, just the link that was clicked.

Now maybe if you have members and they have to login presumeably, you could set pages up so that the &SID="?" part of the link has the "?" as a variable to be repleced by their login name. Don't ask me how to do this as I don't know, but I'm guessing it wouldn't be that difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ward
    SID won't allow you to find out who made the purchase however, just the link that was clicked.
    SID stands for Shopper Identification, and if I'm not mistaken, it was originally created with the intent of figuring out which users made which purchases.

You're right that it really isn't difficult to program. From the looks of things however, gaqueenb is generating all of their links by hand, and will likely run into all sorts of problems if they attact a decent sized user base. A hand coded incentivized site would be a complete mess to operate with more than a couple users.
    Last edited by Joey; January 27th, 2007 at 07:03 AM.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread