Quick note about backups
    There have been some threads about backups lately. Just wanted to throw something out there that works well for me, thought I’d share it
    Reciprocal agreements. I have a few good friends doing web stuff. People I can trust.

I have a cheapie host that I use for dev work and backups only. (It’s one of those mega-storage mega-bandwidth ultra cheap shared places.)

I send one set of backups from each site over to it, and from there I send an entire copy of everything over to my friend’s cheapie host server. He does the same thing. This way we always have copies in multiple alternate locations, on the web under high bandwidth, just in case.

Goes without saying, but still worth typing: Security is a must. Protect each others stuff. Encrypt everything. Hide them. Don’t name them BACKUPxxxxx.gz We even backup copies of our logs, etc.

Another point some people glance over. Every once in a while DO A RESTORE. Practice restoring your sites and verify the integrity of your backup plan. The wrong time to learn how to restore your site is when your hair is on fire. Practice makes perfect.

When it comes to backups, don’t ask how much it costs to do it. Ask yourself: How much will it cost if I don’t do it?

I'd like to hear how other people here do it. What do you do?

I'm running a primarily macintosh environment. With 2 xservs and RAID system, we're managed to backup all our data. Using rsync, we're running the script to backup entire web site over night into 5 JBODs, 1 for each night. It's not the perfect system, but we're getting by. You're absolutely right about practice restoring site before it happens. My price on not backing up, well.. it probably costs my job. Thnaks for the great post.

Cool
    simple here, one-man operation. copies of sites always kept on local machine which is backed up nightly in toto to DLT tape.

thinking of running a separate file server (when I find one that uses low power) which will be taped instead, making an extra copy available. still keeping originals on work computer.

mode, back in my IT days my boss would tell me: "If you don't do the backups right, your replacement will."

Herb, I still have a local copy on a dev server in my office, but the lesson learned there was the amount of time it took to upload the data. That's why we came up with the ISP to ISP scenario. Using mega pipes makes it 100x faster.

Was looking at logs tonight, backups accounted for 6Tb of data this month. And that's suing G/F/S methods on the sites and DB's only once a night.

Very small operation here, of course. Three shared servers for sites and budget demands tape for main box inhouse. Hoping to pick up next generation tape unit (have located tapes already.) Hope I never have to handle the backup volume you do.

"If you don't do the backups right, your replacement will."
    See? Now that's funny...
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread