What is the best way to become an internet marketer?
    Are there any tips like 50 ways to become a top marketer etc that are really helpful to someone new to this market? Is there any way to determine which products are any good. Any advice on the right ‘Guru’ to follow? How safe is it in being in Internet Marketing and not getting ripped off?. Any basic advice needed. Thanks

Affiliate Manager AffiliateBuddha's Avatar
    Participate in this forum often, everybody here is a "guru" in some way, you will be too, soon. Welcome.
    Gift Shopping Zone Affiliate Program on SAS - 10% per sale with unlimited cookie duration, over 10,000 products.

Quote Originally Posted by tony_9b7
    > "How safe is it in being in Internet Marketing and not getting ripped off?" <
    Not very safe at all -- you will get screwed, perhaps often, but if you understand how things work, you will rarely lose much money.

I've been doing this for ten years (internet advertising, affiliate programs, PPC, SEO, etc.) and I've watched a lot of people get screwed, and I've had quite a few companies default (e.g. they didn't pay me as promised).

I've talked to webmasters who've nearly gone bankrupt because they spent all their time and effort generating traffic and sales for a particular merchant, and accrued many thousands of dollars in earnings, only to have that merchant default.

> "Any advice on the right ‘Guru’ to follow?" <
    If you are looking for a "guru" to follow, join a wacky religion.

Every time I hear someone call me a "guru," I get really uncomfortable, although it is a nice compliment (if it means being wise, not if it implies that someone should follow my advice blindly).

If you want to learn how to make money, spend MANY hours reading through this forum and other sites about internet marketing.

Don't sign up for anybody's $500 course, and don't register to get a pre-packaged affiliate web site from anybody. Everybody is looking to make a buck, and your best strategy for not getting screwed is to never agree to pay anybody anything -- which is the core of true "affiliate marketing," where you create a web site (paying only for web hosting), and then attract visitors, some tiny fraction of whom will click on your merchant links. (I'm not saying that you should never agree to pay anyone -- I spend lots of my own money on Google AdWords marketing -- but as soon as you start spending money, you create the risk that you will lose that money; if you are dumb enough to sign up for a "recurring monthly payment" to some get-rich-quick prepackaged-web-site marketer, then you risk losing that money every month.

The Number One Rule for not losing money: don't put all your eggs in one basket. Don't work with a single merchant, don't rely on a single advertising partner, don't work on just one web site, don't stick to just one narrow category.

Of course, you can turn that around: some of the people who make the most money take huge risks, including focusing on one web site with one narrow category and building trust relationships so that they feel comfortable devoting 50% or 90% of their effort working with a single merchant or advertising partner.

The Number One Rule for making money: know what you are doing, do it well, and don't expect something for nothing. You can only make money by putting in some effort, and by taking some risk.

Mark is dead on - and it really is common sense. To me very few rules of internet marketing aren't things that we know and learn in life.

- Don't put all your eggs in one basket

- You have two eyes, two ears, and one mouth. Use them in that proportion

Get to the affiliate summit and imbed yourself with these people. Read this forum every day. Find some RSS feeds to Affiliate Bloggers and read them daily. Schedule your time for affiliate work. Pick something you like and market the hell out of it. Stick with reputable vendors and managers. Pay attention to those that post often here and have post counts ; they are your gods.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    markwelch
    The Number One Rule for not losing money: don't put all your eggs in one basket. Don't work with a single merchant, don't rely on a single advertising partner, don't work on just one web site, don't stick to just one narrow category.
    All he said, but bolded line is even more important as an online marketer.

ABW Ambassador affiliatemakeover's Avatar
    Most internet marketers I know are that profession by accident. Like me, I was a web designer who figured out I could throw affiliate links on websites back in 2000.

Not ALL gurus are scammers. Pick and choose, but yeah, be careful. Many are, but there are a lot of good "gurus" out there who's stuff/information/guides does in fact work. Just be careful and follow the trust in the recommendations, and do your research. Add "+ scam" to their name in a google search and see what comes up. You will find out quite a bit that way.
    Jim Kukral
    You will love my book: Attention! This Book Will Make You Money

Nobody here will give you their secrets to being a top publisher, however if you state up to date, everyone gives you alot of hints.

For an example Uncle posted this

Get outside of the box a little in your affiliate marketing activities. It is a pain sometimes and the immediate returns are not nearly as large 100% of the time, but building traffic from non-traditional sources that are often right under our nose is where the magic starts to happen.

There are basic fundamentals of success in internet marketing that had been working for me. I think what most of the marketing gurus are teaching are quite basic. You just need to adhere to these fundamentals.
    Along the way, you have forums like these where you can get resource and varying experts' opinion.
    The prospect of being ripped off is always present in this business. The fact that we are making our dealing on the cyber space is a risk in itself. Lack of physical address for merchants has given unscupulous business personalities an excuse to ripped honest working individuals. In the end, you have to be on the guard with whom you are making your dealings and you must be prepared to take a risk when necessary.

If you want to make lots and lots of money just don't do anything I'm doing. It always seems like whatever anyone else does makes money, everything I do doesn't.

Are there any tips like 50 ways to become a top marketer etc that are really helpful to someone new to this market? Is there any way to determine which products are any good. Any advice on the right ‘Guru’ to follow? How safe is it in being in Internet Marketing and not getting ripped off?. Any basic advice needed. Thanks
    Since everybody who replied to this post seems to be an advanced marketer, I thought I would share my two cents coming from a green marketer. First off "50 ways to become a top marketer," sounds like a scam e-book title. Sorry, just had to say that. Anybody claiming to have had easy success with just 50 tips, give them to me immediately. Since I have just started myself I have found that common sense is my best friend. During my research into internet marketing, I tried to read as much material as possible to gain different insights from different angles. Forget the b.s. and take notes of the useful info. I never rely on one single source of information. Researching a wide range of sources will definitely benefit. I will say that one way to become a top marketer is to stay current. The biz is always evolving so it is critical to stay current. Thanks guys for putting up with my simple thoughts.

Mark,

That is great advice. Thanks for the insight and knowledge.

David

web dev with whiskers tn-morgen's Avatar
    I'm kinda new to AM myself. At least to generating sales at it. I don't make "big bucks" but what I actually get in the mail, my PayPal account and my bank account add nicely to my day-job income. They make it possible to continue my online activities, in other words.

I've learned some "lingo" and I've learned how to code my links so that they can't get "ripped off" so that helps a lot. As for merchants defaulting, so far I haven't run into that sort of thing. I have a website that I use as my base and all the "products and merchants" that I promote are in a similar business. We all want to sell the same kind of thing, and they make money when I make money, so it works out well.

I've learned that there are other ways to use affiliate links that I hadn't considered - like running google adwords campaigns on a particular product/company. That wasn't something that would occur to me because I still have the brick-n-mortar store idea in my head. So, anything so "cyber" would be completely foreign to me. I've had a paradigm shift since beginning this journey.

There are many merchants/products with online offerings. I only work with the ones that complement my current line. I'm sure there are others out there that pay better or more $$ for a single sale/click. However, I'm currently happy with the way things are. I feel like I run my business in an ethical way and it makes a little change. I feel like my affiliate managers do the same for the most part, and I like the networks (for the most part) that I'm working through. I'm happy! So, maybe later, when I have more time or less money, I might try some other approach. Until then, this is my approach.

Hope that helps. I'm certainly no "guru" but traffic and sales are still on the increase for me. If they flatten out, then I'll know I need to do something. Heck, even if they just stop growing at the same rate, I'll probably tweak the hair off a frog!

Keep on it, read a lot, try different things and see which works for you. And don't expect instant success. And PLEASE don't spend a lot of money on your education! You can do this on the cheap, which is why it's so attractive.

Simply take action! I mean, whatever that you've learnt must be applied to really justify its effectiveness. Dump all methods that don't work and keep on doing what works for you.

Basically, experience is your best mentor.

Share and learn ideas from others..

Also try to join in forums or blog communities people there can help....

Oh my, maybe I've missed something.

What do you mean by coding links so they don't get ripped off? I've heard of people copying text, and that search engines usually account for that by banning the younger of the two pages with identical text - so, this doesn't worry me. But what about links getting ripped off? What's that?

Many thanks,
    Laura
    [IMG]http://www.centsible.net/images/centsible28x196.bmp[/IMG]
    Making Cents of the Internet

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    If you haven't yet found this thread, I highly recommend it:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...t=magic+bullet
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Affiliate Manager
    People who have successful internet businesses either:
    A) Have excellent content,
    B) Have excellent advertising, or
    C) Have both.

There are lots of posts in internet forums that discuss all these, but newbies should always depend on content. It's much easier to make money with a site that has a genuine and strong value proposition.

Pick something you're interested in and create a site about it. Research the vertical and find an aspect of that interest that doesn't have a leading authority site yet. Create the content and if it's good enough people will flock to you. Worry about making money after you have a user base.

Important note: the interest you choose to create your site around should ideally involve a transaction at some point. I.e., if you create a snow boarding site you can sell your users gear every year, etc. As a counterpoint, a site about illegal ROMs will be very difficult to make money with even if it becomes extremely popular.

Lightbulb a way to look at things?
    I'm nowhere near a successful internet marketer yet, I'm still rather new.

Just like to add though, that my site began to take on a new life when I actually approached it as a user would.

My husband was looking to get a deal on some Dr. Marten's boots, and I have a coupon site, so I told him to check out my site. I had to tell him which shops to look at (because I was sure that I'd added a link about Dr. Marten's for this or that site, etc...) as it wasn't readily apparent which shops sold Dr. Martens at all. Even with me sitting next to him and directing him, it took a while to find a deal on Dr. Marten. Most internet users (if not all of them in fact) would've clicked off by that time and looked for something more obvious.

At that point I decided that I should be very familiar with the websites that I promote. I also regularly ask my mother (who is very non-tech-savvy and can use email, but thats about it) to tell me what she thinks about my site. If she gets confused (which she regularly does), I make it easier as there may be other users who are getting confused... I hope to get new betas as well, because my mom will only be a blank slate for so long....

Like I said, my site is still in the developmental stages (I'm thinking to be successful it will remain in the developmental stage as well, constantly evolving) and I have the odd sale each month (hopefully that will change) - but I feel like I've hit on something when I started looking at my site in this way....

Quote Originally Posted by tn-morgen

I've learned some "lingo" and I've learned how to code my links so that they can't get "ripped off" so that helps a lot. As for merchants defaulting, so far I haven't run into that sort of thing. I have a website that I use as my base and all the "products and merchants" that I promote are in a similar business. We all want to sell the same kind of thing, and they make money when I make money, so it works out well.
    What do you mean about "coding links so they don't get ripped off?". I hard-code my entire site with wordpad and my file manager. I don't do anything special to the links though aside from set the target to "new" so it opens in another window, and add &s and 's and alt tags so it all validates to transitional HTML. Is there some sort of precaution I should take?

PS - I'd start this in a new thread, but I wanted to quote tn-morgen so there's some sort of context. I can't seem to find any other threads about coding links when doing some preliminary searches here...
    Last edited by lschofield; April 16th, 2007 at 07:07 PM. Reason: correcting quote tags

Just do a search for "Cloaking" and you will find a ton of answers to that question.

Thanks for the direction: I just found the board on 'parasiteware' and I think that covers it.

Sorry to have gotten this thread off topic. Its surprising, I subscribe to all kinds of affiliate newsletters, do my own coding, and this is the 1st I've heard of the importance of this!

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread