Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    MSN Content Ads Go Live End Of August - You're Automatically Opted In
    ***** Scroll down to post #8 for the new stuff, August 2007 **********

I know eventually they were supposed to come out with it, maybe they've been out for a select group and it's the first time I ever noticed? At the top, you might have to refresh it a few times.

http://travel.msn.com/Guides/article...76881&GT1=9016

Something to compete with Google Adsense and YPN. On their blog:

http://adcenterblog.spaces.live.com/

If you scroll to the bottom:

"Upgrading to Content Ads on January 25, 2007
    This week, some of our U.S. advertisers received an e-mail notification that their accounts will be migrated to our Beta site on Thursday, January 25, 2007, as part of the adCenter Content Ads pilot program. The e-mail notification also explained that the campaigns within migrated accounts will automatically be expanded to include distribution on content pages within the Microsoft network."

Anybody in that program? You can ask to be in the pilot program, more info:

http://advertising.microsoft.com/mic...qs/content-ads
    Last edited by Trust; August 21st, 2007 at 03:09 PM.

MSN Content Ads - not for publishers yet
    They are only looking for advertisers to test the Content Ads system, not web publishers:
    "During the pilot, text ads will be displayed primarily on Microsoft-owned properties including MSN Health, Education (Encarta), Technology, Travel and Personal Finance and many others within the MSN and Live.com portals."

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    I guess they are expanding this now. email received today:

Dear .....,

We're excited to welcome you to the Microsoft adCenter content ads pilot program. On March 15, 2007, we'll upgrade your adCenter account (see below for account detail) and your ad distribution will expand to relevant content-based webpages within the Microsoft network. Your ads will continue to run on search results pages as usual.

How content ads works
    With content ads, your text ads are displayed next to relevant content on quality sites within the Microsoft network, such as: Health & Fitness, Money, Tech & Gadgets, Travel, and Windows Live Marketplace. 1 Content ads have the same pay-per-click pricing structure as search advertising.

Your choices
    When you enter the pilot program, your orders (now called ad groups) are set to distribute to search results pages and content-based webpages. You decide whether to keep running your ads in both areas, bid separately for search and content placements, or turn off content ads to run a search-only campaign. 2

About your upgrade
    You'll start to use the adCenter beta site, which is the improved version of adCenter that Microsoft plans to release to all advertisers in the coming months. Read the adCenter blog post to learn more about the improved navigation, campaign management, and reporting.

Next steps
    Watch your inbox on March 14, 2007 for an e-mail reminder with important details. If you have additional questions, please review our Frequently Asked Questions page for content ads, or visit Microsoft adCenter Support.

We look forward to your participation in the Microsoft adCenter content ads pilot program.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft adCenter Team
    Hope it is not to cumbersome to opt out.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

I received that email today, too but wasn't really sure what it was all about.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    You can opt out, but this is rollout beta that is the revised platform everyone is being migrated too eventually (couple of months). Best to opt in and learn how to shut off content network if you're just not interested in the opportunity to have your ads show in their fledgling content network. Yes, opting into the beta and then turning off the content network option is cumbersome - selected at ad / ad group settings level - many have complained and it's possible there will be a change later, but I'm doubtful since you'll eventually want ad group level control over the content-or-not choice.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    You can opt out, but this is rollout beta that is the revised platform everyone is being migrated too eventually (couple of months). Best to opt in and learn how to shut off content network if you're just not interested in the opportunity to have your ads show in their fledgling content network. Yes, opting into the beta and then turning off the content network option is cumbersome - selected at ad / ad group settings level - many have complained and it's possible there will be a change later, but I'm doubtful since you'll eventually want ad group level control over the content-or-not choice.
    Or call them to opt you out. I did it on Friday. The rep said she will make sure my ads been opted out and email me the status.

But later on, if I want to add new ads, I need to make sure to turn off the content network. Otherwise, by default, the content network will be set on for all new ads.

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    I got the same e-mail today... Kindof painful for me. I need API access badly, but my spending is low. Its hard to spend a lot of money with MSN because their search volume is bad. Kindof a chicken and egg for me, I need the API so I can spend more, but they don't give API access unless you spend 10k a month.

Are content ads showing anywhere good for consumer products? What about shopping.msn.com? I didn't see contextual ads when I looked tonight...
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

ABW Ambassador
    In case you don't get the email for some reason:

"Dear Trust, Our Favorite

We're excited to announce the release of the Microsoft® Content AdsBeta to all U.S. adCenter advertisers on August 29. With this release, you can extend your advertising reach beyond search, and choose how your accounts are upgraded.

Choose how you want to upgrade
    On August 29, you don't have to make any changes and your ad groups will automatically expand to hybrid distribution, meaning they will distribute to search and content pages.

If you're not ready for Content Ads at this time, fill out this web form by August 26 to upgrade in search-only mode. By upgrading in search-only mode, you'll still have access to the content network; however, your existing ad groups will not expand to include content distribution at this time. After the Content Ads release, all new ad groups will default to hybrid distribution.

Where Content Ads appear
    Ad groups expanded for contextual distribution will display on relevant webpages on the quality Microsoft network, including MSN® Tech & Gadgets, Money, Real Estate, and Windows® Marketplace, as well as partner websites.

Learn more about Content Ads
    After you upgrade, you'll see expanded distribution and pricing controls, as well as new reporting options to help you run your Content Ads campaigns. Visit our upgrade guide for information about running hybrid ad groups, bidding separately for search and content, or turning off Content Ads. You can also watch our Content Ads webinar to learn more.

If you have questions, contact our Microsoft adCenter Support Team.

Sincerely,
    The Microsoft adCenter Team"

This part is a little backwards:

"If you're not ready for Content Ads at this time, fill out this web form by August 26 to upgrade in search-only mode."

So you're automatically in. It should be fill out this form to opt into the content network. So if you're doing PPC, watch out for that. I'm not sure how big their content network is going to be so your clicks and spend can shoot up.

ABW Ambassador
    Trust, when did you get this email? Are you sure it is not a spam email

ABW Ambassador
    Just popped up in my hotmail, posted about it right after. So you still might be getting it if you haven't yet. I'm pretty sure it's the real deal, sender is

info at msmedia.microsoft.com

Has my username and account number.

Link goes to:

http://advertising.microsoft.com/mic...ntent-ads-form

But just to be sure, I'm waiting to see it in my account after I login.

double was, no it
    Yep, I got one also. So it's a real notice, not spam.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    Where Content Ads appear
    Ad groups expanded for contextual distribution will display on relevant webpages on the quality Microsoft network, including MSN® Tech & Gadgets, Money, Real Estate, and Windows® Marketplace, as well as partner websites.
    This is what worries me, No idea of who these partner websites are. If it was only on MSN owned properties, I'd consider it. But too much risk going in blind like this.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Got the email also.
    Will be opting out.
    No way to do that yet in my account (that I could find).

ABW Ambassador
    I just got this one, but it is different with yours. Seems like I don't need to do anything at this moment. I don't understand why they have to do this "Content Ads Beta" thing again and again

"We're excited to announce that Microsoft Content Ads Beta will
    be released to all U.S. adCenter advertisers on August 29.
    Thank you for being a part of the U.S. pilot of Content Ads!
    Your participation and feedback during our pilot were critical
    to the success of our product.

At the time of the release, you don't need to do anything.
    Your accounts and campaigns will continue to run as they have
    been during the pilot. To learn more about managing Content
    Ads, visit our Content Ads information webpage
    http://msmedia.microsoft.com/Key=7666.DWR.J.C.F7C6fN
    or watch our Content Ads webinar
    http://msmedia.microsoft.com/Key=7666.DWR.F.C.Fw9jjy

If you have questions, contact our Microsoft adCenter Support Team.
    http://msmedia.microsoft.com/Key=7666.DWR.G.C.FwCd08

Sincerely,

The Microsoft adCenter Team"

ABW Ambassador
    Same here, will opt out until I get a better look/more info and couldn't find it in the account yet either.

There will probably be threads and blog posts popping up when it happens for those that don't get the message and login and see their spend is higher than usual. Should be opt in, not automatically opted in.

"I just got this one, but it is different with yours."

I guess you were in the pilot program? I wasn't.

Donuts - There is a link in the email that has a form you complete to opt out. Actually, Trust posted it, so you can click it and get there.

Just opted out, a bit of a pain, but at least it wasn't hidden some where deep inside the control panel.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust

"I just got this one, but it is different with yours."

I guess you were in the pilot program? I wasn't.
    Since I don't see any "opt-in" or "opt-out" link in my email, does it mean they will leave my account alone?

I also emailed them and asked the same question. Just to check with you guys first in case I don't get response from them sooner.

ABW Ambassador
    From reading what you posted it seems that whatever you have going now will continue. But they should get back to you, that's one thing I've found they're pretty good with.

Quote Originally Posted by knight01
    Donuts - There is a link in the email that has a form you complete to opt out. Actually, Trust posted it, so you can click it and get there.

Just opted out, a bit of a pain, but at least it wasn't hidden some where deep inside the control panel.
    Yep, I see the form in the email - i meant for those who are surprised on Aug 29th when they are auto-opted in, how many won't get this email....

so i looked and i don't yet see any switches inside the account to throw to the off position.

I manage some merchants accounts and the form things is a major pain depending on email distribution, how they verify the form is authentic, account access creds and more - MSN doesn't get the third party ppc management thing yet. And since we all know email is not affirmative notice (spammers have ruined email's reliability), an email opt-out is ridiculous. I hope there's an announcement made within the accounts and look forward to discovering the off button's location before hell breaks loose.

To turn off content ads, click on the campaign->ad group->Ad Group Setting tab, then click on Advanced Options link in the Ad Group Settings section of the page, just under the Ad Group ID. There is a checkbox there to turn off content ads... or will be when your account is upgraded.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

ABW Ambassador
    That would be easier, just tried it and I don't have it yet, guess it'll show when it gets pushed out to everybody else. But I wonder if that is just for those in the pilot and for those that aren't, are we going to have to opt out via the form. There is a thread going at Webmasterworld and hopefully the MS person answers some questions. I sent off an email earlier tonight.

Verbosely Virtuous Mutt spacedog's Avatar
    meadowmufn is right, and unless something has changed recently, they can *only* be turned on and off at the ad group level. I was automatically placed in the pilot program some months ago, and was very annoyed to find that they had turned Content Ads on in all of my ad groups, by default. I am not sure that will happen with this new rollout, but I wouldn't be surprised if content will be on by default. I'd recommend that anyone using MSN for PPC advertising check their ad groups on August 29th (per meadowmufn's instructions above... notice it's in a not-so-obvious-nor-visible location) to see if Content Ads is checked. If it is in one ad group, it probably is checkboxed (on) in ALL of them.

Since I have hundreds of ad groups, I didn't want to manually turn content off in all of them one by one, so what I did was call MSN adCenter support and I asked them to do it. They complied. You may want to call support before August 29 to see if content will be on by default. If so and you don't want it on, ask them to turn them off in all your ad groups.

MSN really needs to have an account-level on/off switch for content ad serving!

Quote Originally Posted by spacedog
    I was automatically placed in the pilot program some months ago, and was very annoyed to find that they had turned Content Ads on in all of my ad groups, by default.
    That happened to me too. If I recall correctly, not only did it take me a while to hunt down that checkbox, but I also had to delete hundreds of extra keywords when I created new ad groups. The system created a duplicate entry for each keyword with a column indicating if it was a search ad or content ad. That was annoying. Not sure if they have that fixed yet or if it's a "feature".

I am not exactly thrilled with the beta version. IMO it's not particularly user friendly. I spent a lot of time hunting for things or trying to fix things sent awry by obvious bugs. I'm not sure this is ready for prime time yet.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by meadowmufn
    That happened to me too. If I recall correctly, not only did it take me a while to hunt down that checkbox, but I also had to delete hundreds of extra keywords when I created new ad groups. The system created a duplicate entry for each keyword with a column indicating if it was a search ad or content ad. That was annoying. Not sure if they have that fixed yet or if it's a "feature".

I am not exactly thrilled with the beta version. IMO it's not particularly user friendly. I spent a lot of time hunting for things or trying to fix things sent awry by obvious bugs. I'm not sure this is ready for prime time yet.
    The duplicate keyword problem is fixed. I tried leaving content on for a new adgroup a few days ago. Needless to say, it was a waste of money for the few days I tried it, but when I turned content off, the extra set of content keywords disappeared.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by spacedog
    MSN really needs to have an account-level on/off switch for content ad serving!

I remembered a few months ago when I called MSN support for turning off my content ads and suggested that they should have an on/off option on account level. The rep said he will take my feedback seriously to the managemant.

I guess it is not happening yet, let's be patient...

Verbosely Virtuous Mutt spacedog's Avatar
    CAUTION: Those of you in the pilot program!
    If you were in the pilot program of MSN content ads, and assuming the same thing that just happened to me also happened to every other pilot participant, then BE AWARE! I looked at some of my ad groups and noticed that Content was automatically turned on in all the groups I looked at, even though I had turned them all off before (months ago when I was converted to the pilot).

So I assume it was turned on account-wide for me, and probably everyone else whether in the pilot program or not. August 29th was the date that everyone was to get switched over, and that seems to be the time that this happened. So those of you who weren't in the pilot AND those who were, you need to know that all of your ad groups will now have Content turned on until you turn them off.

The good news is, there is now a way to turn Content off in bulk for any and all campaigns you'd like to turn it off in. Refer to the email that MSN sent us all on August 28 (with subject "Your account will upgrade to Content Ads Beta tomorrow") that describes how to do this. It's in the help files in adCenter too: click on Help, then type "turn off content ads" in the search box and hit the little green magnifying glass icon, then click on the resulting help topic "Turn off content distribution in bulk for campaigns".

Since I was a pilot in the program (sort of against my will) but had immediately had them turn Content off, I don't know just how much traffic to expect in Content, and I'm also not sure what bids that MSN will assign by default to content keywords. It looked like mine were set at an arbitrary amount that was lower than I had set my Search keywords, but it was different in each ad group I looked at. I have no idea for how long content was turned on in my campaigns on Wednesday, but running a report for yesterday that includes only content distribution ads came up with only 3 impressions and no clicks, all from one campaign. Then again, I don't know how much to trust the reports after such a big change to the system.

For kicks, I've decided to turn Content off for all my campaigns except one, and experiment with a couple of ad groups by turning it on and setting fairly low content bids compared to my search bids. We'll see how it goes. With everyone now being switched on for Content ads, I suspect I won't be seeing too many impressions or clicks. And I don't think their Content network is anywhere near the scale of Google's.

If anyone has any experience to share about MSN content ads and this recent change, it'd be welcome!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast