ABW Ambassador
    is firefox going to be compatible with Microsoft Vista?
    is firefox going to be compatible with Microsoft Vista?

there are reports that only the Internet Explorer browser will work with Microsoft Vista.

Outsourced Program Manager DaveAMWSO's Avatar
    I can't imagine Microsoft would have that happen, nor want that to happen actually. One thing they don't want to mess around with too much is other browsers, in light of their anti-trust settlements.
    [B]Dave Oliver[/B] - AMWSO Affiliate Program Management Team
    [URL=http://www.amwso.com]www.amwso.com[/URL] | dave [at] amwso.com | AIM: DaveOliPM | Twitter: [URL=https://twitter.com/daveolipm]@daveolipm[/URL] |
    Programs: [URL=http://www.amwso.com/artoftea.php] Art of Tea[/URL] | [URL=http://www.amwso.net/affiliatet/eachbuyer-affiliate-program/]Eachbuyer[/URL] | [URL=https://www.facebook.com/amwso]AMWSO FB[/URL]

Microsoft has actually been proactive about trying to help the Firefox developers make it work with Vista. If you search Google for Firefox on Vista, you'll see alot of articles and blog posts on the subject.

It's worked on Vista since RC1

But with people turning away from Firefox for Opera and some even back to IE7 who cares if it did or didn't?

I can't even use firefox on my XP system its such a memory hog and its sad because it was my primary browswer for more than 2 years.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Beer
    Microsoft has actually been proactive about trying to help the Firefox developers make it work with Vista. If you search Google for Firefox on Vista, you'll see alot of articles and blog posts on the subject.
    they're "offering" to make it work in Vista.
    but the current version of Vista is not yet compatible.

Microsoft is probably doing the gesture to
    1. avoid anti-trust lawsuits without actually taking in firefox
    2. try to control firefox's development to serve Microsoft's interest

I only use firefox on ABW. The site really drags in IE for me (something to do with the ads I think). Otherwise, firefox really bugs me. Its automatically calling favicon.ico on every click in older versions and every session in newer is really annoying. I don't care to make a favicon.ico for every site and I don't like line after line of 404s in my logs. It's practically malicious software.

Their take on the fix is that rather than behave like a good browser should and wait for a bookmark, they believe every webmaster, for every website, in the entire world should make a favicon.ico just so their browser is happy and will stop spamming our log files.

My take is that if the visitor didn't request it, and the website code didn't call for it, the browser should butt out and stop wasting bandwidth and spamming my logs...

Sorry, I've gone way off topic. I'll pipe down now...
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

ABW Ambassador
    I installed Firefox 2 this morning in Vista RTM--didn't seem to have any issues. I haven't really used it yet, but no problems on install.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by waytogo
    they're "offering" to make it work in Vista.
    but the current version of Vista is not yet compatible.

Microsoft is probably doing the gesture to
    1. avoid anti-trust lawsuits without actually taking in firefox
    2. try to control firefox's development to serve Microsoft's interest
    WayToGO who told you FF isn't compatable with the current version of Vista? Because whoever did lied to you.

Vista is comptable with RTM as I have been using FF 2.0.0.1 on RTM since January 4th on Ultimate and november 27th on Vista RTM Premium. She also runs on Vista Home Basic, Business and Enterprise.

I have run FF 2.0.0.1 on Vista Beta RC2, I have run FF 2.0.0.0 on Vista Beta RC1

I have run FF 1.5 and 2.0.0.0 on Pre RC1 builds

Only time FF didn't work on Vita was in a very very very very very very early build that didn't even last a month and 99% of all prorams failed to install properly on that build.

Outsourced Program Manager Affiliate Eagle's Avatar
    I just recently tested Vista on a friends computer and its seems to have numerous glichtes. XP Word and Excel applications dont function with Vista on his machine, it took us a while to get Nero upgraded so it could work with Vista. Again, could be isolated, but to soon to tell. We were having a problem with Firefox as well...
    Emilio Yepez
    Affiliate Program Manager
    www.lighthouseinternetmedia.com
    PH: 305 389 8955
    AIM: affiliateagle
    Email: emilio@lighthouseinternetmedia.com
    Follow Me On My Twitter

Programs Managed - Join Now! | Navarro.com|| OneWayFurniture | OnlyKidsHangers | EverythingHangers.com | RejuvByCaci.com |

What version of Vista emilio?

I doubt you were using RC2 or RTM if you had problems with Nero, World or Excel. Infact I first time I hear someone said they have had trouble with any version of an Office program on Vista. Actually Office 2000 has isues with Vista.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Emilio-ARC
    I just recently tested Vista on a friends computer and its seems to have numerous glichtes. XP Word and Excel applications dont function with Vista on his machine, it took us a while to get Nero upgraded so it could work with Vista. Again, could be isolated, but to soon to tell. We were having a problem with Firefox as well...
    When you say "XP Word and Excel", are these from Office XP (aka Office 2002)? If so, you definitely need to upgrade to at least Office 2003, if not Office 2007 (which is awesome, BTW). As for Nero, I believe you have to upgrade to at least version 7.

It shouldn't be a surprise that older software may not work. It's the cost of progress.

Michael

Outsourced Program Manager Affiliate Eagle's Avatar
    I see...

Thanks...we found out the hard way...As far as Vista is concerned, I have to check with my buddy and ask him specifically what version of Microsoft he was using just to make sure...Thanks Hardware Geek
    Emilio Yepez
    Affiliate Program Manager
    www.lighthouseinternetmedia.com
    PH: 305 389 8955
    AIM: affiliateagle
    Email: emilio@lighthouseinternetmedia.com
    Follow Me On My Twitter

Programs Managed - Join Now! | Navarro.com|| OneWayFurniture | OnlyKidsHangers | EverythingHangers.com | RejuvByCaci.com |

I personally use between Camino, other mozilla based browser on Mac, Safari and Firefox. I use IE for testing purpose. MS knows better than causing another antitrust lawsuit.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread