Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    I think it just happened, saw people Twitter about it.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    okeedoke, thanks

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Some things just never change.

I have actually used RetailMeNot as a consumer before becoming aware of this thread - saved me some money on domain registration. I do wonder, from an outside disinterested perspective, how RMN could possibly know which coupons are exclusive to a particular affiliate (are all of Connie's exclusive coupons coded flamingo?).

With a community submission process in place, the only real way to police it would be for owners / merchants to inform RMN (or a similar company) that a particular code should be removed. That seems to be the industry-standard as seen on Youtube and elsewhere.

Personally I haven't yet taken a stance on whether or not I approve of RTM's practices. If they willfully / knowingly post content that is against their TOS with a specific merchant and / or overwrite cookies I have a problem with them. If they just allow users to submit what they're going to submit and have checkpoints in place for merchants to have offending material removed, I see little harm in that.

Quite obviously there is demand for what they have to offer...
    Chris Sturgill
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals." - H. Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by cbsturg
    I have actually used RetailMeNot as a consumer before becoming aware of this thread - saved me some money on domain registration. I do wonder, from an outside disinterested perspective, how RMN could possibly know which coupons are exclusive to a particular affiliate (are all of Connie's exclusive coupons coded flamingo?).....

...With a community submission process in place, the only real way to police it would be for owners / merchants to inform RMN (or a similar company) that a particular code should be removed. That seems to be the industry-standard as seen on Youtube and elsewhere.
    As publishers of the site it's their responsibility to know and police what's posted. The cost of additional resources required to properly monitor what's posted should not be put on the merchant. They are apparently making millions on the site, it wouldn't appear that it would be too much to ask for them to hire personnel dedicated to policing the user submitted coupons as a cost of doing business. If they find the process of policing their site too cumbersome, then perhaps they should rethink their business model. But then why would that, they can break the rules and rake in millions doing it.

Quite obviously there is demand for what they have to offer...
    That's poor justification as there is also a demand for heroin and cocaine...demand doesn't make it right or ethical.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

If the coupon code isn't for affiliates, then they shouldn't post it.
    They got my employee ONLY discount code and had no problem posted it.
    Heck, they even solicit for employee only codes.
    And as for asking them to remove codes? Good luck.
    Dyan Carlson
    ["My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness."- The Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by guinness618
    If the coupon code isn't for affiliates, then they shouldn't post it.
    They got my employee ONLY discount code and had no problem posted it.
    Heck, they even solicit for employee only codes.
    And as for asking them to remove codes? Good luck.
    This tatic reminds me of what Youtube does with copyright videos ..

They will say .. if your copyrighted video is posted .. make a request to get it removed blah blah ... meanwhile they are profitting from it ...

Then again YouTube is a huge success, as is this site ... so ? yah ?

Again, I'm not familiar with how they run shop (e.g., response times to requests to take down offending material) nor what TOS they sign with individual merchants (some require only specific coupons, others don't). It could well be the case that they have reached custom agreements with each of their merchants allowing them to post whatever and whenever (not the case, but you get my point that there is little way for me to know). But my question still remains.

Let's say I run a site like RMN (I don't). A user submits coupon code "XYZ" for domain.com. No affiliate program I have ever joined has ever supplied me with a list of exclusive coupons (again, assuming that for this particular merchant it is okay to post coupons outside of a set list given me). How then would I know that "XYZ" is an exclusive coupon for Connie, you, or anybody else? Somebody is going to have to tell me (i.e., the Merchant).

Whether that comes from me emailing the merchant a list of all submitted coupons, or the merchant requesting specific coupons be removed is irrelevant. My point remains that the specific company (in this example, RMN) has no way of knowing whether or not a particular code is exclusive. Just as Youtube (in theory) has no way of knowing whether or not a given upload is of copyrighted material.

I want to restate that I do not know how the innerworkings of RMN function, and that my arguments are not to be construed as an endorsement of their business practices. However, I'm not sure that there is any way, independent of merchant interaction, that they can know if a particular code is or is not appropriate for listing (provided their affiliate TOS does not specifically forbid posting coupon codes outside of a restricted list - that's a whole different animal and one we agree on).

It could be that "flamingo" just happens to be an everyday, run-of-the-mill coupon code for the particular merchant. Unlikely, of course, but you get my drift.
    Chris Sturgill

Thumbs up
    How then would I know that "XYZ" is an exclusive coupon for Connie, you, or anybody else? Somebody is going to have to tell me (i.e., the Merchant).
    Really interesting PoV (point of view)!

Quote Originally Posted by rematt

That's poor justification as there is also a demand for heroin and cocaine...demand doesn't make it right or ethical.

-rematt
    What I'm arguing is that there is (was?) a demand for a central place to post all coupons. While I feel such is sufficiently different from heroin addiction to make this a moot point, I understand what you mean and agree with the implied thesis: demand and profit do not justify unethical behavior. We agree on that.

Re-read my post. I am not making judgment calls about how RMN does business. I have no idea how they run business. I have my conjectures (and they are not favorable), but I do not know. My point is that the model itself is a good one. Provided RMN is not in violation of any affiliate TOS, I have no problem with what they are doing.

On ABW, Haiko can say "the f-bomb shall not be printed". That's easy to enforce. You see the f-bomb and you remove it. But if Haiko were to say, "you can't say anything that has ever been said before" things get a bit more difficult. How would he know what I say behind closed doors? I would have to tell him. That is, in matters that he cannot know, a third-party would have to say, "hey, this post is in violation of conversation X." RMN has no way of knowing what coupons are exclusive to other affiliates - unless the merchant tells them.

That's all I mean.
    Chris Sturgill

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    cbsturg, RetailMeNot has a subscription service for each merchant page on their site that pings you with an email every time a new coupon code is added. When I get those I evaluate what should be allowed based on my relationship with that merchant. I have a personal contact there that removes or revised the code in 12-24 hours to my exact specification. This has been working to my satisfaction for six months and I am pleased with my relationship with this site.

RetailMeNot is a consumer based community where sharing of coupon codes is a give and take relationship.

ABW Ambassador
    "how RMN could possibly know which coupons are exclusive to a particular affiliate (are all of Connie's exclusive coupons coded flamingo?)."

They know. Since they run a big coupon site like that, I'm sure they're aware of the other big ones out there. If you see a code that says FATWALLET10, CouponMountain, COUPONCABIN20, it's pretty obvious.

"With a community submission process in place, the only real way to police it would be for owners / merchants to inform RMN (or a similar company) that a particular code should be removed. That seems to be the industry-standard as seen on Youtube and elsewhere."

It's their site, it's their responsibility for the content on that site. They picked that model so they have to deal with what comes with it. And just by the nature of that model, it violates a lot of merchant agreements and other problem. Some include

Only posting coupons authorized for affiliate use.

Posting other sites exclusives.

Leaving up old, expired coupons which can lead to customer service problems. Was just going thru my email and got this from Pfaelzer -

"Recently, we have received complaints from customers stating that there are expired offer codes out on websites."

It's going to happen a lot more with sites like that one, you wouldn't get a complaint like that from my site.

Trust, valid point and it is the responsibility of the affiliate manager to allow them to be an affiliate. If the merchant/AM feels they are allowing exclusive codes to be posted for their super affiliates then they should terminate their relationship with RetailMeNot.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick
    cbsturg, RetailMeNot has a subscription service for each merchant page on their site that pings you with an email every time a new coupon code is added. When I get those I evaluate what should be allowed based on my relationship with that merchant. I have a personal contact there that removes or revised the code in 12-24 hours to my exact specification.
    I'm not quite sure what else affiliates could want. The only thing that could make this better is if all new codes were inactive on submission for X number of hours awaiting word from the merchant. If nothing was heard back after the specified time, the code would go active pending future correspondence with the merchant.

Thanks for the insight, Chuck. Your posts from the beginning of this thread to the end of it have certainly changed in tone...
    Chris Sturgill

ABW Ambassador
    Trust, valid point and it is the responsibility of the affiliate manager to allow them to be an affiliate. If the merchant/AM feels they are allowing exclusive codes to be posted for their super affiliates then they should terminate their relationship with RetailMeNot.
    That's one issue. How do you feel about users posting up coupons that don't work? Or leaving up expired ones that don't work? Or posting up exployee only coupons? Do affiliate managers care about customer experience for the merchant they're representing?

Wink
    cbsturg, RetailMeNot has a subscription service for each merchant page on their site that pings you with an email every time a new coupon code is added.

Do they ping you on forum posts too?

IE ( this is old but just a example )
    http://www.retailmenot.com/forum/cou...3-31-08-a.html

RMN = Super SEO Spam, that url says it all :P

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    It is apparent that a) merchants like RMN because they bring in sales and b) affiliates are jealous of the RMN concept that has done very well.

Not sure there is anything else to say about RMN.

Trust, I police them and have instant notification about them. I have one particular merchant who posts coupon codes per retention emails that they do not want affiliates posting. I get the emails from the merchant because I am signed up on their site, when I get the notification from RetailMeNot I ask to have them removed. I also have control over how the approved codes are posted.

cbsturg, I changed my tone because I did my homework and have several conversations with the affiliate, networks and various affiliate managers.

ABW Ambassador
    And checking your merchants, they have expired ones, ones that don't look like they work. But you work with them and even looks like you gave them exclusive coupons for Register.com. So you're basically supporting an affiliate that's jerked around other affiliates.

And that's why things never change.

[QUOTEDo they ping you on forum posts too?

IE ( this is old but just a example )
    http://www.retailmenot.com/forum/co...-3-31-08-a.html[/QUOTE]

I monitor the forums too.

And checking your merchants, they have expired ones, ones that don't look like they work. But you work with them and even looks like you gave them exclusive coupons for Register.com.
    They are an affiliate and get exclusive coupon codes just like any affiliate that requests them. Looks like I need to run through all my merchants to insure the codes are up to date. I have not had any other complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    They know. Since they run a big coupon site like that, I'm sure they're aware of the other big ones out there. If you see a code that says FATWALLET10, CouponMountain, COUPONCABIN20, it's pretty obvious.
    I accept that due diligence should be given, and can consent that certain codes should be obvious. But in no way can they know all exclusive coupons for all affiliates of a given merchant. Necessitating some sort of merchant interaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    It's their site, it's their responsibility for the content on that site. They picked that model so they have to deal with what comes with it. And just by the nature of that model, it violates a lot of merchant agreements and other problem.
    Don't disagree that they are responsible. See my comment above. But I accept it as taking responsibility to admit that there is no way they can know of every agreement everywhere.

I don't know if the model necessarily violates merchant agreements. But I do agree that is their responsibility to keep the agreements they make. Given their traffic and size, I would be surprised if merchants weren't willing to enter into special agreements that puts more of the policing effort on the merchant end. Chuck could just as well cut them off, but sees value to his companies in doing some of the leg-work.

Some affiliates get exclusive coupons because they bring in so much money. Surely RMN might get special provisions for the AM to monitor coupon submissions for much the same reason.

I would say that the model might not be consistent with some agreements, and that RMN should not enter into agreements with those particular merchants. I don't know if they take that due diligence, but it doesn't mean the model is flawed (perhaps the implementation).

Quote Originally Posted by Trus
    Leaving up old, expired coupons which can lead to customer service problems.

It's going to happen a lot more with sites like that one, you wouldn't get a complaint like that from my site.
    But the beauty(?) of their site is that the more expired coupons they keep up, the less relevant they would become. If they are still relevant (and the numbers suggest they are), customer satisfaction must not be that low.
    Chris Sturgill

ABW Ambassador
    "Necessitating some sort of merchant interaction."

? If they followed the rules in the first place, there would be no need for the interaction. You get into business agreements with affiliates, they're supposed to abide by those agreements.

"But I accept it as taking responsibility to admit that there is no way they can know of every agreement everywhere."

Again ? Yes, they're supposed to know the rules and agreements they get into with merchants. You guys are just proving my point that the problem is with affiliate managers and how they let things slide.

Trust, couldn't agree more. Policing over a dozen programs is not easy and I take feedback from my affiliates seriously. If I get a complaint from FlamingoWorld that an exclusive coupon has been posted on RetailMeNot I am on that immediately. If it persists then I determine whether to terminate the relationship. I did terminate RetailMeNot for several weeks until I got the answers I wanted.

Talking
    But the beauty(?) of their site is that the more expired coupons they keep up, the less relevant they would become..
    I'll disagree, there site is Super SEO savvy

From the layout - with the menu being in JS. ( gets rid of duplicate menu content)

TO having all the merchant domains in the Url address

The Redirector , to cancel out Bouces

Hands down SEO on here is picture perfect!

~~~
    And the best affiliate related tatic ,, the on mouse hover thing that redirects users with out them clicking ..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast