Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    They had Totally Furniture coupons but no exclusive ones. Still, we can't condone this so they were dropped and notified.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Outsourced Program Manager tmartini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Rice
    They had Totally Furniture coupons but no exclusive ones. Still, we can't condone this so they were dropped and notified.
    So that's two stores and one network so far. Figured I'd bump this up for anyone who didn't see this post over the weekend.
    Todd Martini
    Digital Marketing Manager
    Jones Soda Co.
    Follow Me on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    Todd and Connie, perhaps an attorney on retainer for these type of things is in order. MyCoupons only opened the door and seemed to legitimize this for others to continue. There are indeed laws against this and I would guess that full recovery of attorney's fees in successful cases would be an option.

This is only going to get worse unless someone makes an example of them.
    Hey Scooter,

For the scraping of exclusive codes it might be worth it, but it looks like the bigger issue, at least for the merchants, is that they're posting unauthorized coupons in violation of the TOS. That should be enough to get them booted out of most programs and networks.

-- Todd
    Todd Martini
    Jones Soda Co.
    Follow Me on Twitter

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    We've suspended their active status and encouraged them to address this thread..

Thanks Gary! That's two networks.

I'll be honest. I'm only interested in hearing what they have to say if they immediately:

1) Remove their current system of posting coupons submitted by their users without any oversight and replace it with...

2) A moderated system to check to see if the coupons posted by their users are authorized affiliate coupons AND not exclusive coupons from another coupon site. Only once those two conditions are met should the coupons be posted to their site.

If they're not willing to do this then they should be booted out of all of the affiliate networks and programs. The rest of us have to play by the rules, so it's only fair that they play by them also.

-- Todd
    Todd Martini
    Jones Soda Co.
    Follow Me on Twitter

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Todd I agree with 1) and 2) you just posted..

Another one that many miss:

3) Make sure the coupon actually works.

Something interesting I found on their site.

After I dropped them, I went to the page they had up for my site and my coupons were still listed. It says, "Did this coupon work for you?" and there's a Yes and No button. I clicked the No button for each coupon and watched as they all disappeared.

So, bclark wasn't kidding when he said (in the other thread?) that the site will be user moderated. Moderate away...

Quote Originally Posted by adambha
    Something interesting I found on their site.

After I dropped them, I went to the page they had up for my site and my coupons were still listed. It says, "Did this coupon work for you?" and there's a Yes and No button. I clicked the No button for each coupon and watched as they all disappeared.

So, bclark wasn't kidding when he said (in the other thread?) that the site will be user moderated. Moderate away...
    Hey Adam,

I think when you say it doesn't work, the coupon disappears for you, but other users still see it. I see coupons on the the site that have a 10% success rate and are still displayed.

Hope everything is going great. Talk to you soon.

-- Todd
    Todd Martini
    Jones Soda Co.
    Follow Me on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Another one that many miss:

3) Make sure the coupon actually works.
    Amen Michael. Unfortunately I think this guy follows the lazy guy's method to running a coupon site...
    Todd Martini
    Jones Soda Co.
    Follow Me on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by tmartini
    A moderated system to check to see if the coupons posted by their users are authorized affiliate coupons AND not exclusive coupons from another coupon site. Only once those two conditions are met should the coupons be posted to their site.
    Exactly... and that they work!

I think when you say it doesn't work, the coupon disappears for you, but other users still see it.
    Ah, I wondered about that. Well, we know now.

Thanks again Todd, looking forward to talking with you!

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Great, thanks!

I look into each and put some product ideas together. We should also
    create an exclusive promo code for your sites too. We'll make it a link
    that will automatically discount but also make it an exclusive offer for
    your sites only. Shoppers are savvy to promos and the exclusive ones
    really help out.

- AXXXXXXX
    Todd!

A merchant wants to give me an exclusive coupon.

I'm thinking of making it "alexscoupon" - and cut out the middle man

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay
    Todd!

A merchant wants to give me an exclusive coupon.

I'm thinking of making it "alexscoupon" - and cut out the middle man
    I still like Scooter's idea to create a site called Alex's Flamingoworld!
    Todd Martini
    Jones Soda Co.
    Follow Me on Twitter

Affiliate Manager
    Oh and Connie they've got several of your coupons (flamingo) on their site too including Botanic Choice:

...and ACLens:

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/aclens.com

...as well as exclusives from Coupon Mountain, DealNews and other coupon sites.

All of the ACLens coupons have been pulled. Thanks for keeping an eye out.

Bob
    ACLens.com

ABW Ambassador
    "Site Blocked
    Sorry for the inconvenience but this merchant has opted out of the RetailMeNot system."

That's good. And for those that are looking for coupons for ACLens, they'll just go to a site that follows the rules and have coupons available. It puts RetailMeNot at a competitive disadvantage by not following those rules. That and all the non working coupons they have listed.

Great news... Thanks Bob!

Linkshare's compliance department contacted me for more info today and I sent them screenshots of the Retailmenot site. Now if CJ would just respond. What are you waiting for guys? A lawsuit?

-- Todd
    Todd Martini
    Jones Soda Co.
    Follow Me on Twitter

Tonight I had two hangups from the following number:

617-336-xxxxx

...so I did a search and guess what it's a Queensland Australia number, specifically a number at the University of Queensland. Could Bevan Clark from Retailmenot be trying to get in touch with me?

-- Todd
    Last edited by tmartini; February 1st, 2007 at 03:59 AM.
    Todd Martini
    Jones Soda Co.
    Follow Me on Twitter

Question Not understanding
    I'm just a user, who did a search on retailmenot to find similar sites, and found this forum. I'm not understanding who you are. It sounds like affiliates are third party companies that offer to drive traffic to sites in exchange for coupon codes, sometimes then getting exclusive codes, but usually getting kickbacks for referrals. It sounds like you are complaining that you go through the work of getting these codes, whereas retailmenot passively collects them, and competes for your traffic. Also, that it is possible for an unmonitored user to post an exclusive code to their site. But, then I read things about dropping them from affiliate networks? This doesn't make sense to me, unless they are an affiliate.

Is my understanding correct?

Tonight I had two hangups from the following number:

617-336-xxxxx

...so I did a search and guess what it's a Queensland Australia number, specifically a number at the University of Queensland. Could Bevan Clark from Retailmenot be trying to get in touch with me?

-- Todd
    I'm not sure how an Australian number would appear on caller ID, but I think your number's in Chelsea Massachusetts:

http://www.melissadata.com/lookups/p...ubmit1=Process

If you get a cookie error . . . open in IE, and just refresh the page.

Quote Originally Posted by undrline
    I'm not sure how an Australian number would appear on caller ID, but I think your number's in Chelsea Massachusetts:

http://www.melissadata.com/lookups/p...ubmit1=Process

If you get a cookie error . . . open in IE, and just refresh the page.
    Not that it really matters, but the phone number was 11 digits, not 10, so yes it was from Australia and yes my phone does show overseas phone numbers because of the plan I'm on.
    Todd Martini
    Jones Soda Co.
    Follow Me on Twitter

I'm just a user, who did a search on retailmenot to find similar sites, and found this forum. I'm not understanding who you are. It sounds like affiliates are third party companies that offer to drive traffic to sites in exchange for coupon codes, sometimes then getting exclusive codes, but usually getting kickbacks for referrals. It sounds like you are complaining that you go through the work of getting these codes, whereas retailmenot passively collects them, and competes for your traffic. Also, that it is possible for an unmonitored user to post an exclusive code to their site. But, then I read things about dropping them from affiliate networks? This doesn't make sense to me, unless they are an affiliate.

Is my understanding correct?
    Somewhat correct, but calling a commission a kickback is wrong. Basically we drive traffic for merchants and in return if that traffic results in a sale we receive a commission.

Retailmenot is also an affiliate. They're basically taking coupons that are submitted to them plus the exclusive coupons that they harvest from other sites and posting them with their own affiliate links, so they get credit for the purchase. These exclusive codes are given out to high performance affiliates as rewards for all their hard work and they are not to be distributed on other sites.

In addition to posting exclusive codes, Retailmenot was kicked out of several affiliate networks for posting unauthorized coupons. In other words posting coupons that the merchants have deemed as invalid for the affiliate channel to promote. An example of this are coupons that merchants send to their mailing lists, catalog lists, etc... Since Retailmenot appears to have no oversight of their coupon submission process, these unauthorized coupons are all over their site. Because of this they are in violatation of the TOS (terms of service) of the affiliate networks and subsequently are being removed from them.

If you'd like to learn more about how affiliate marketing works, I suggest you browse through some of the Newbie forums. Take care...

-- Todd
    Todd Martini
    Jones Soda Co.
    Follow Me on Twitter

So, the way that retailmenot is an affiliate, is because it gets credit for the referral.

But the only way that retailmenot seems to connect to the main vendor's site in any way, is with the "use now" link, that takes you to the vendor's home page (it doesn't use the coupon at all - to use coupons, users have to copy/paste). In which case, the only use of the coupon codes is to draw users to their site in the first place. And, after the allure, to hope that users will click on this link, which doesn't help the user. Plus, it depends on the vendor's site to look at the server referrals, rather than postdata. Altogether, this doesn't seem too savvy, especially when coupled with many bad and expired coupon codes.

Since it doesn't look like it helps retailmenot in any way, except to have an altruistic bend toward frugal people, the harm that they are doing is to draw business away from you folks. That business, being the business of referral.

Since it doesn't look like it helps retailmenot in any way, except to have an altruistic bend toward frugal people, the harm that they are doing is to draw business away from you folks. That business, being the business of referral.
    Trust me there's nothing altruistic about what retailmenot is doing. They are counting on people clicking on the affiliate links on their site. That being said the purpose of this thread isn't to educate newbies about affiliate marketing. It's to keep the affiliate comunity apprised of the retailmenot situation. If you have questions or comments about affiliate marketing in general or retailmenot in particular please post them in a separate thread. Thanks...

-- Todd
    Todd Martini
    Jones Soda Co.
    Follow Me on Twitter

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Drumm
    All of the ACLens coupons have been pulled. Thanks for keeping an eye out.

Bob
    ACLens.com

This is bordering on ridiculous. If DealNews gets their own exclusive coupons, why are they posting the exclusive FlamingoWorld coupon for ACLens? The code is obvious...it's: FLAMINGO

Is DealNews related to RetailMeNot?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast