Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
    My problem with RMN lies in that I have removed them from my affiliate programs, so they took it upon themselves to flood their site with every single unauthorized coupon code they could find, thereby compromising my marketing results. And what's even more frustrating is that the consumer has no clue what they are doing is wrong.
    RMN tops my list of unethical affiliates and they seem to really enjoy the "bad boy" tag they've acquired in the affiliate world.

RMN is on SAS, just declined them this morning. I need to expire our CJ relationship with them. Just wanted to confirm that these guys are doing wrong still before I crack the whip.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    RMN backdoored a conversation with my merchant after I took them out of the program. Their position is that they are a community site and that members are placing the coupon codes. My position is that they are taking exclusive affiliate coupon codes and that affiliate does not get the commission.

RMN is an offshoot of BugMeNot and is using their backlinks to gain leverage on the search engines. Anyone have issues with BugMeNot?

ABW Ambassador
    "Their position is that they are a community site and that members are placing the coupon codes."

The problem with that is not only the exclusives but they could be posting expired coupons (I know they have voting which helps) but also if you're a merchant that wants only certain coupons to be used for affiliates, it's not going to happen with sites like that. Every single one will be there, even those not intended for affiliate use. Depends on the merchant and the rules as far as that goes. Some are ok with that, some aren't.

Some are ok with that, some aren't.
    Which brings up the biggest problem new affiliate programs have in gaining traction/leverage.

On one hand, grabbing up what in all honesty are legitimate potential buyers that frequent that site (RMN) is a potentially good play. At the same time, should we decide to offer exclusive coupons down the road, we wouldn't want them published there.

So while waiting for the affiliates we want to work with to have time to work with us, do we toss out RMN (who isn't in our program, atm) and the other sites were we can get exposure? Granted, not exactly the straightest of exposure, but at this time, it doesn't violate our terms either. (If only because we don;t have exclusive codes or non-affiliate codes out there).
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    As far as exposure it's either going to be:

You're on their site and they only post coupons you say they can (not really their model) - Then you can affiliate with them, that would be your choice.

You're on their site and they post whatever coupon. You don't let them in your program. If they still have you up, that's free traffic for you.

You're not on their site. Is that a big deal? It's a choice you have to make whether you want to partner with affiliates who are in line with how you want to run your program and follow your rules with whatever is acceptable to you.

But if you allow it with them, then every other site out there, their competitors, would want the same deal. But if that's alright with you, it's not a problem.

Good points, Trust.

With a program like ours, where the brand is relatively new, we only have so much value to the coupon sites anyhow. At least many of the current ones. We don't get searched in coupon traffic all that often, and we've done a decent job of soaking up most of that with our blog.

Now, if someone was delivering a vertical based coupon site on top of their brand based efforts, we would be of more value to them, since our conversion rate is good. I suspect most of my (current) vertical does pretty well with conversions, actually.

My point is, I'm not sure we present enough of a value to RMN for them to join us. One of our customers might post something (hell, we could technically do it ourselves but don't), but they won't be pulling our coupon traffic anytime soon.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    "One of our customers might post something (hell, we could technically do it ourselves but don't)"

If they do that and like I said, if it's not normally a coupon you want affiliates posting and they put you up on their site, just take the free traffic. There is another thread in the CJ forum with dealpigg getting declined and the reason is they have the same model as retailmenot, where anybody can post and one of the merchants in questioin was Gap and they don't want to associate with sites the let users post unauthorized coupons, such as employee only coupons or something like that. So you don't have to let them in and they'll most likely still have you up, free traffic. But that's more for bigger brands, where that'll work. Merchants are not in a position of weakness with sites like this, they don't need to partner with them/shouldn't with sites that can't follow their rules. But those sites will still have them up and again, free traffic. I mean, they might be using coupons you don't want to** but you won't be paying commissions on it.

**And I remember when I first started some merchants having problems with this and not accepting those discounts. I remember Staples having issues with customers using some coupons and they didn't allow the discount or charged them the full amount and it was a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Noth
    At the same time, should we decide to offer exclusive coupons down the road, we wouldn't want them published there.
    Today it's a non-issue and it may never become an issue unless you are certain that you will eventually offer exclusive or non-affiliate coupons.

Accept them or reject them based on what you think is best for your program TODAY. Their business model isn't inherently bad. It's only an issue if they violate your TOS.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

I just found three unauthorized Avanquest coupons on their site and asked them to remove them.

Avanquest will be moving to url-based coupons soon. Hopefully that will stop at least some of the coupon poaching.
    Paula
    Affiliate Manager
    Avanquest Software
    720-251-4144
    [email=pcarlsen@avanquest.com]pcarlsen@avanquest.com[/email]

ABW Ambassador
    Is that within the rules? Telling people to sign up with Adsense and then:

More info:
    1. If you dont have your own website, enter retailmenot as the Website Url.

Could be, I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    Is that within the rules?
    I doubt if they would care.

Connie I noticed that a search for your domain comes back with:
    User Submissions Blocked

Sorry for the inconvenience but this merchant has specifically requested to have all user contributed coupons removed from the RetailMeNot system.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    Is that within the rules? Telling people to sign up with Adsense and then:

More info:
    1. If you dont have your own website, enter retailmenot as the Website Url.

Could be, I'm not sure.
    Digital Point Forums has the same thing. Apparently Google is okay with it as long as only one Adsense publisher ID is used on a single page.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick
    Connie I noticed that a search for your domain comes back with:
    If you look up any competitor site to them it says the same thing. Some of the smaller coupon or forum sites have that show up on the 1st result on google too, because they leverage the bugmenots site rank with a myriad of inbound links to their coupons.

they have a toolbar too:
    http:// retailmenot.ourtoolbar.com/

I removed RMN from all of my affiliate programs back in October and his response was to post every coupon he could find.
    After RMN posted an employee-only code, I asked that all of my brands be removed from his site. I don't want to be associated at all with the site. My requests have been ignored and more coupons have been posted.

Look on the bright side, now he's generating orders for you that you don't have to pay commissions on. Free marketing!

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by shopsat24seven
    Look on the bright side, now he's generating orders for you that you don't have to pay commissions on. Free marketing!
    You are an AM and you actually mean this? Wow.

No. Said in jest.

So does anyone want to put together a petition to send to the networks to get this affiliate removed permanently?

In CJ he's listed as being from Australia. Makes sense why he has no regard. Who's gonna fly out there and approach him?

I'll sign it. He's never done anything to our programs, but I've dropped 'em for ethical reasons.

http and a telephoto
    Is that toolbar against the SAS terms of service?
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I'm in Chuck!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast