Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
    ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Loxly,

A toolbar delivering ads, etc... would be against ShareASale terms and I would want to know about it. I'll do some investigating.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Brian,

This guy is in SAS. He applied to our programs a few weeks ago.

I just discovered that deallocker.com and boddit.com are also posting exclusive coupons.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Thanks for the heads up. It looks like DealLocker.com is in partnership with Boddit.com. I had notified DL in January and got no response. Thought at that time he was getting scrapped and didn't look further. Now realize that he is a scrapper and am removing him from all 15 programs that I manage. Will post this in its own thread.

Deallocker
    I did get a response from Deallocker. He removed the coupons immediately for both of our sites. Seems like they pull data from there into boddit, but our exclusives are still up there.

I think their site allows user submitted coupons.

RetailMeNot comes from Melbourne, Australia based Stateless Systems, who would be best known to TechCrunch readers as being the company behind bypass registrations page BugMeNot. I sat down with Guy King from Stateless Systems on Friday for a demo, video above.

RetailMeNot is pushing through some amazing figures for a bootstrapped (non-funded) startup with three employees. The site averages $4 million a month in sales that are accurately recorded through affiliate channels, with only 40% of codes on the site having a direct benefit for RetailMeNot. Estimated total sales through the site are $10 million a month or approx $100 million a year. 600,000 non-affiliate clickthrus were recorded in February 2007 and 440,000 affiliate clickthrus. The site offers 71,000 coupons from 13,000 merchants and is adding 200-300 new coupons a day, 300-400 new comments per day and 9000 votes per day. Traffic and revenue grew at 20% per month through 2007. King wouldn’t tell me how much the site was making, but told me that it was profitable in seven figures.

King sees the social networking side of RetailMeNot as an extension on their core shopping community that will provide hard core bargain hunters a space to talk shopping.

Well, this pretty much sums up their business model. They are laughing all the way to the bank. Its sites like this that will push the actual exclusive coupon code model where every community posted coupon or scrapped code will only benefit the affiliate it was meant for. There are technical hurdles to doing this as it will have to be programmed into the shopping cart. This will require that a network, merchant and affiliate manager work directly together. I don't see this coming from the big networks.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick

Well, this pretty much sums up their business model. They are laughing all the way to the bank. Its sites like this that will push the actual exclusive coupon code model where every community posted coupon or scrapped code will only benefit the affiliate it was meant for. There are technical hurdles to doing this as it will have to be programmed into the shopping cart. This will require that a network, merchant and affiliate manager work directly together. I don't see this coming from the big networks.
    They will never do that, no site will ever do that. They want every penny to themselves. I can't see any merchant going along with this either. I wouldn't want it that way. I want people to come to my site.

I'm surprised nobody responded to the post on Techcrunch. Amid all the positive comments I posted about their unethical behavior.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick
    Its sites like this that will push the actual exclusive coupon code model where every community posted coupon or scrapped code will only benefit the affiliate it was meant for.
    I LOVE those codes. Yes, I want the user to come to my site, but if it gets scraped and I still get credit, I'm OK with that.

Here's what I posted, let's see if it gets posted, thanks Snib:

Yes, sites like RetailMeNot are considered as an unethical affiliate since they indiscriminately scrape or place codes: http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?p=807349

Since couponers are a big segment of my programs I have removed RetailMeNot from all 15 programs and have them on an auto decline list. My couponers make their money through co-branded coupon codes. These are called exclusive but unless they are directly tied to the shopping cart they are just co-branded.

The first merchant to work with a network to come up with a true exclusive coupon code that ties the sale only to the one affiliate will win a huge following. It could work to combat parasites as well.

I work with several merchants that offer true exclusive coupon codes that track back to the affiliate it was assigned to.

It's really fairly simple to implement, especially for merchants who do batch tracking. Basically, just add an extra field to the coupon table to store the affiliate ID for exclusive coupons. If an order comes through with a coupon that is assigned exclusively and that affiliate isn't already getting credit for the sale, override it.

For confirmation page pixel tracking merchants, it's a little more work. If networks would allow merchants to pass an extra (optional) parameter in their tracking pixel (like overrideaff=), pixel tracking merchants could more easily implement exclusive coupons.

ABW Ambassador
    "I work with several merchants that offer true exclusive coupon codes that track back to the affiliate it was assigned to."

Wanna share? Network or indy merhchants? I'm all for those type of coupons obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    "I work with several merchants that offer true exclusive coupon codes that track back to the affiliate it was assigned to."

Wanna share? Network or indy merhchants? I'm all for those type of coupons obviously.
    yeah can i post your coupons

Kind of funny that none of this would be an issue if they were not popular, also if people had true exclusive coupons that awarded them a commission based on the code many people would just post their codes to retailmenot. I totally agree with everyone on the exclusive and scraping is bad news/unethical but I am scraped and I bury my codes past a click. I never leave a code on the same page as a coupon or deal but still different sites get them. I have even placed stores on my website that dont even pay commissions as a favor to my friends and somehow the store will end up on peoples websites. So just to let everyone know, I have seen Store scraping as well. Laslty, I speak with hundreds of affiliate manager and it seems retailmenot is on everyones radar. Networks are in a difficult position because they make a percentage of what affilaites bring in so to disable retailmenot is to shut down major funds. As much as I admire certain networks for doing the right thing maybe if retailmenot had managed the input of coupons in a web 2.0 fashion with queueing for QA they might have stuck around for a long time making the numbers people are talking about. Obviously that is nor here nor there, just my 2 cents.

Here's an interesting arcticle in Internet Retailer today:

Retailmenot.com article
    Thanks,

Sharon
    Sharon Page - MGECOM.COM
    Affiliate Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Page
    Here's an interesting arcticle in Internet Retailer today:

Retailmenot.com article
    Thanks,

Sharon
    From the article: "today announced the launch of the first social network for coupon-conscious shoppers: the RetailMeNot Shopping Community."

Ummm, lots of coupon sites have forums.

This is funny, from their source code:
    IMPORTANT COPYRIGHT NOTICE
    The content of this page is owned or controlled by RetailMeNot.com and hence protected under copyright law.
    Indexing, mirroring and "scraping" of this content is expressly forbidden.

Indexing, mirroring and "scraping" of this content is expressly forbidden.
    Thanks! I needed a laugh.

I just discovered that deallocker.com and boddit.com are also posting exclusive coupons.
    I just discovered that they are posting non existant coupons as well. They have posted coupons for my merchant site which has neither coupons nor affiliates. It looks like they're scraping Google.

I saw somebody posting a coupon "script" for $40 on another forum. When I looked at it, all it did was scrape the RMN site.

Guess the entire net is turning into one big scrape-a-thon.

I removed them from the Avanquest Software program - on both CJ and SAS today.
    Paula
    Affiliate Manager
    Avanquest Software
    720-251-4144
    [email=pcarlsen@avanquest.com]pcarlsen@avanquest.com[/email]

KK

Quote Originally Posted by Kristin Kinsey
    Great find Kristin!!

I really enjoyed the article. Wow, 130,000 visitors a day to Retailmenot, impressive.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

15 years and counting
    Great article. Think of the number of cookies overwritten, that's impressive!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast