conduit.com toolbar?
    ok before I get people biching at me, let me tell you it doesnt have any spyware and adware, or mallware, and I even am investigating it, and I dont see any problems with it based on overwriting links. the url is conduit.com. It has some killer features too. but has anyone tried this? or noticed any problems with overwriting affiliate links, etc? anyway it seems to be useful... but I want your feedback. I havent got any spam or promotional messages in my inbox and it's been a week since I signed up, but currently at this time it seems to be a userful tool

ABW Ambassador
    I actually use a Conduit toolbar on a Premiership soccer site. Some of the more aggressive anti-virus/anti-spyware softwares do consider it malware, but I've been using the thing for months and there's absolutely no issues with it. And I've never had any spam originating from them or to the email address I used when I signed up.

It's a perfectly fine and legitimate tool as far as I can see.

They make their money through the search box feature that is on all the toolbars - that's their business model.

jc101, I'm the Product Manager of Conduit.
    What do you mean by overwriting links?

Everybody, feel free to let me know if you have any questions about Conduit.

Internet Cowboy
    Thumbs down not a good idea...
    It leaves a door open on the user's computer where Conduit can install more software down the road WITHOUT the user's consent.
    'nuff said

It does not leave any door open.
    The toolbar does have an auto-update option so that users can get the latest version of the toolbar. The only thing that is downloaded is a signed version of the toolbar, nothing else. In any case, users can easily turn this feature off if they want to keep the current version that they have and then nothing is installed.

Im bringing it back onto my site
    Quote Originally Posted by Conduit
    It does not leave any door open.
    The toolbar does have an auto-update option so that users can get the latest version of the toolbar. The only thing that is downloaded is a signed version of the toolbar, nothing else. In any case, users can easily turn this feature off if they want to keep the current version that they have and then nothing is installed.
    I signed up for this awhile ago and was convinced by others that it could be harmful. Since then I have done research to find any concrete proof that the conduit toolbar has violated anything. So far I have found nothing concrete. Just the same old assumptions that it "could" or "may" be harmful. I realize that it actually "could", but I haven't seen anything that states that it "does".
    Firefox actually recognizes the toolbar and can be downloaded from the plug-ins area.

Its a good tool especially since I can configure the toolbar to pull up searches from my site. This can be helpful if people decided that shopping from a browser was useful.

I'm gonna go ahead and re implement the toolbar on my site and hopefully I don't get burnt!

I assure you that it is harmless and 100% safe to use.
    And in any case that you are not satisfied with your toolbar you can easily remove it from your computer without leaving any traces.

Post here if you have any questions...

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread