Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador affiliatemakeover's Avatar
    Affiliate Marketers Don't Wear Suits
    I wrote this up over at my RN blog and frankly, I thought it was perfectly applicable to the ABW crowd. I'm not going to link it here as I'm not trying to get readers, seriously, I'm not. Rather, I'm simply sharing this as I think everyone will relate/like it. If I'm out of bounds just let me know. Pasted the copy below.

Affiliate Marketers Don't Wear Suits
    Mark Cuban should have been an affiliate marketer. Take a read, the guy hates suits.

Exactly what purpose does a suit serve ? Why in the world are so many people required to wear a suit to work ? Do the clothes make the man or woman in the western world today ? Does wearing a tie make us work harder or smarter ? Is this a conspiracy by the clothing, fabric or dry cleaning industry to take our money ?

You get the idea. Let me share my own "suit" story. Back when I graduated college I went to work for Alltel as a "producer". That meant I made Yellow Page phone book display ads on a computer assembly line. The "order" would come in, then I would create the ad line by line, in the right size, with the right fonts, etc... Then I'd hit the "fini" button and it would be sent off to the matrix of millions of other phone book ads.

I did this all in a windowless basement of a corporate building... wearing a suit and tie.

??????

On my last day (I only worked there about 4 months) I asked my supervisor why I needed to wear a suit and tie to sit in front of a computer in a basement and make phone book ads and he kinda looked at me blinkishly and gave me that "we are a professional organization" speech. I didn't buy it. Still don't.

Perhaps I'm a dot-com brat, who was "raised" on grocery filled refrigerators and sandles and shorts as perfectly fine attire? Ok, not perhaps I was, that is true. But I think Cuban is dead-on here, and particularly when it comes to this crazy Internet business we all call "a living".

At the Affiliate Summit event last week, I can honestly say that I didn't see one person wearing a full suit. Sure, some wore ties and shirts, some tee-shirts and jackets (me), and some in shorts, but no full suits. And you know what? It didn't matter to me who was wearing what; and nobody in our business cares either.

Here's another story. My old/first "new media" boss and I were traveling to a client meeting with a big Fortune 100 potential customer (this was back in 96). My boss purposely bought a clip-on tie to wear, and here's the kicker, he bent the clip so that it would show it was a clip-on clearly. When I asked him why, he said, "these people aren't buying a suit, they're buying an idea of a non-suit. They want professional, sure, but what they really want is the team that they know will be sitting in shorts doing the "cool stuff".

We got the job.

Cuban continues...

Now I understand some people think wearing a suit provides them with a certain level of stature. It gives them confidence. It helps them feel good about themselves. Well let me be the first to tell you that if you feel like you need a suit to gain that confidence, you got problems. The minute you open your mouth, all those people who might think you have a great suit, forget about the suit and have to deal with the person wearing it.
    Indeed.

Lastly, let me just say that if you're not familiar with affiliate marketing, here's usually how you pick out the successful people in the business. They're not wearing a suit.

Maybe some "loungepants"? Inside joke. :0
    Jim Kukral
    You will love my book: Attention! This Book Will Make You Money

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Next affiliate event we should all wear jammies - just like our customers.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Hey I will second that, why don't we have a pajama party.. Shawn? Missy? 2000 affiliates in pajamas? CrazyForBargains can sponsor, it would be a hoot!

I was SOOOO jealous of Greg Rice at ASW. In jeans and a polo the whole week. Meanwhile, I was in suede saddlebucks, a buttondown, and khakis the whole week.

I heard he signed 216 clients, and made 3+ million dollars. I made $8.40 on the slots.

Krukal is right.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

I'd have to respectfully disagree with some of this my good man

Success, etc. has nothing to do with how you dress. At the same time professionalism is not determined by how you dress either. It is all a matter of what you are comfortable in and making sure you dress to match the crowd you want to fit in with. I think, for example, that dirty sweats and sandals would have been completely out of place last week - but it may be ok when you are at home at 3am doing marketing . And, to a point, the way you look could even prevent someone from approaching you for you to get to open your mouth to prove how knowledgeable you are.

So there is some level of presentability and decency that should be maintained. That is why that Dilbert cartoonist came out with the book "Casual Day has gone too far" or something like that.

I am waiting for UncleScooter to pipe in on this topic
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    LOL... no need to sacrifice comfort to give yourself a different look. Just snap on a pair of Holdup Suspenders on a pair of Sloops Jeans.... and just change your shirt everyday. Pitching the suit types just involves putting on a sport cost.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Heck, yesterday I worked in my Sponge Bob boxers and slippers until Ellen asked me to go with her to the wharf for a cup o joe.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

ABW Ambassador
    Affiliates don't wear suits ?

You mean all this time I've been dressed like that and I didn't have to?

What is the world coming to? What will they think of next...bread that is already sliced?

Internet Cowboy
    I have to say that Patrick gets the "Best Dressed Affiliate" award vote from me. I commented many times that he was razor sharp in his dress. I mostly made these comments because he made the rest of us around him look like his lawn crew as he sported the daper suits and we all were much more casual, but I do have to agree with Cuban. It is totally NOT the dress that makes the person. In Patrick's case, the person is there to match the nice clothes but this is often not the case.

I remember selling new Hondas in Louisiana in July, wearing a dress shirt and tie. Not only is it 100++ degrees, but we are in and out of cars that have been shut up for days in the heat. In those cars was often 150++. That was pure craziness. I was a big ole sweaty mess!!! Oh the memories of my former life as an empl*yee....ewwwww!! I worked with awesome people, but ewwww!

I dressed a little better at this Summit than before since I wore the Speaker tag. I remember seeing a plea from Shawn somewhere for speakers to look nice. In Orlando I wore my typical shorts and T-Shirts and will be right back there in Miami.

ABW Ambassador
    I mostly agree, pretty much only wear a suit at wedding and funerals, but there is a time for them. They buy "shut up", or they explain (not just any suit, but a nice suit) in shorthand something about the person. For example, when I was looking for a realtor to sell our one home, I met with a few people who looked like they were about to head out and play golf, or one - change the oil in my car, and one guy who comfortably wore a nice suit and tie. He wore it as if he always belonged in one, I was just more comfortable going with him (and it worked out).

So there are places for suits...

Having said that, when I did data research work, I worked in shorts and a tshirt, or even swimming trunks in the summer. Did that for years. And then once had to go to NYC to meet with a major publishing client, just to not stick out, I wore a dress shirt and tie. First time I had worn one in about 3 years. No big deal. As I am walking to a friends house after the meeting, some kid on the street tries to force on me a promotional rap cd, I say no thanks, and he starts going off on my clothes - i am "mr shirt and tie..." I so wanted to go back and explain, really, I don't wear this crap!!!

Chet

Tax Paying Member
    You folks who are experts on marketing tell me that you do business in jeans and t-shirts.............You must be kidding.............

I work at home in my bikini underwear. When I go to the mall, I wear golf shirts and kaikis. When I have a business appointment it is done in a suit and tie.

When I travel (plane), I wear suit and tie (usually). I get less hassels and better service. (frequently)

I am not a beleiver in this dress DOWN to impress crap. I like to do business with people who take care of the little details...........like wearing a suit and tie.

NO..........clothes do not make the person............but they have a lot of bearing on making a first impression. Have enough respect for your fellow man that you treat them SPECIAL by dressing special for them.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

slightly OT: I have a problem with "suit" jobs where they don't pay you enough to afford one.

that said, I have a couple that don't look too bad on me (left over from my j!b-hunting days) so I feel prepared for about any dress situation.

Most of us dress comfortably at home because we can and we feel we've earned it.

When we leave the house, we usually dress to "fit in" or "stand out". Our goal there is totally determined by what we hope to accomplish and how we feel about it. The examples above support that to a degree.

I only posted to share this bit from our local paper which I thought was quite thought-provoking, actually:

A woman was quoted while attending the grand opening of a new Dollar General store in the neighborhood. She said "I like it because it's casual. You don't have to get dressed up to shop here. It's not like having to get cleaned up to go to Walmart or anything"

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    allowing looks (outside of modeling and acting - where it's substantive by nature) to sway your opinion on how succesful someone is or will be, is very naive.

while Patrick did look outstanding every time i saw him at ASummit, I gotta say my own personal feeling on this entire issue is perfectly aligned with what ranchers in Texas always say about them thar fancy pants types...

Big hat, no cattle.

hehe. Haven't heard that before Donuts. It's a good one.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

I am sure I will be more casual at future events - did not know what to expect not to mention I've blown alot of money on ties in life and I am just about ready to pitch them all . Besides - it will be easier to pack and unpack. And I am sure only a fool would wear a tie if he did not have to in Miami in July.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    Affiliate marketers wear whatever the heck they want to.

Playing two roles here (business owner and affiliate manager) I have worn everything from a suit to jeans and t-shirt to the office.

I feel no different when wearing either.

When I used to work from home, I did find it hard to be functional in my underoos though
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

Your Call
    Lets face it, sometime events make different demands. Funerals & weddings,
    suit and tie.

Vacation in Hawaii, shorts and flip flops. Big important business deal that
    means large money in your wallet, suit and tie. Going to Affiliate Summit
    jeans and T-shirts.

Be flexable and roll with it! Life is like a box of choclates, you never know what your going to get.

PS. Mandatory is clean under wear and deodorant. King Fisher
    Last edited by King Fisher; January 28th, 2007 at 03:59 PM.

Mr. Cuban's Closet
    I bet that if we were to look in Mr. Cuban's closet we would see more
    than a few suits and a couple dozen ties.

Enough said about a silly thread. I am out. King Fisher

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by King Fisher
    Mandatory is clean under wear and deodorant. King Fisher
    We're not slobs, just casual types.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

I dress like a bum while I'm working at home, but I do often wear a suit when I'm just running around town or hanging out.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoore61103
    Most of us dress comfortably at home because we can and we feel we've earned it.

When we leave the house, we usually dress to "fit in" or "stand out". Our goal there is totally determined by what we hope to accomplish and how we feel about it. The examples above support that to a degree.

I only posted to share this bit from our local paper which I thought was quite thought-provoking, actually:

A woman was quoted while attending the grand opening of a new Dollar General store in the neighborhood. She said "I like it because it's casual. You don't have to get dressed up to shop here. It's not like having to get cleaned up to go to Walmart or anything"
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    After many years of wearing the corporate look, dark dress slacks, white starched shirts, matching ties and jackets to lunch and meetings with clients, you'd be hard presed to find maybe 10 ties in my closet today. I keep 3 or 4 white, starched pressed shirts for the needed occasion...

My usual daily wear at the office now is shorts, guy harvey fishing tees and sandals.
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

As a fair amount of people here work from home, do you guys still get dressed every day?

I get up, shower, and put on clothes (casual ones, but not PJ's) every day. I can't say why really, it is just part of my routine, helps me wake up. How many people never get out of their PJ's or underwear?
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

I still have a couple of suits in the back of the closet from my past life in Corporate America.... at least I think I do

Ah... my bunny slippers... to paraphrase... "You'll take my Bunny Slippers when you pry them from my cold dead feet"
    CharPaula
    Staying focused on the bottomline

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast