A Real *and* Darn Cool Member! lstolze's Avatar
    Database/Meat Software
    Hello all!

I am trying to get some of my sites back up to par, and I am wondering what everyone uses for their product listings, organization, etc. I know many of you use WebMerge to publish everything, but I really need some good software that helps me do all the setup with minimal tech knowledge. I tried to run a search, but honestly, I am not even sure what to search for, that is, what exactly this is considered. When I search for database, I just see people talking about databases they set up on their own. I don't have the knowledge to do that.

Thanks in advance for your input!

~Lisa
    ~Lisa - Brilliant Mastermind, or Nut? You decide!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Bah, Mike! I mean a real database. I don't want anti-SEO stuff. I need to manage all my own products.

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lstolze
    Bah, Mike! I mean a real database. I don't want anti-SEO stuff. I need to manage all my own products.
    Why is this considered anti-SEO stuff? Does GC harm your site?
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

I write all my own descriptions. GC is just a line of code that doesn't show anything to search engines (keywords, products, etc), therefore making your site appear less than relevant. I suppose if you have a large site that is primarily unique content (articles, reviews, etc.) and then add GC for a shopping area, you'd be fine, but I like a nice store setup with unique additions sprinkled throughout. That's all I mean by anti-SEO.

Talking
    I write all my own descriptions. GC is just a line of code that doesn't show anything to search engines (keywords, products, etc), therefore making your site appear less than relevant. I suppose if you have a large site that is primarily unique content (articles, reviews, etc.) and then add GC for a shopping area, you'd be fine, but I like a nice store setup with unique additions sprinkled throughout. That's all I mean by anti-SEO.
    If you use the php code instead of the javascript code to put GC on your site it writes the information on your page and the SEs do see the information on your pages.

Where have you been. I haven't seen you here in a long time.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Really?? It's been awhile! Well, let's take a peek then. Thanks BB.

Edited to add: How do I find info on this? When I go to GC it still uses javascript and the FAQs still reflect that no product info is shown on your site.

I have been neglecting AM. I don't know, big year of changes, setbacks, etc. I don't know WHAT I'm doing anymore!

But I'm hoping to pick up my sites again. Of course I need to try and maintain them all on my own now with minimal tech knowledge. Easier said than done, I imagine.

Talking
    When you are on the page with the JS code - look toward the top of the page. You will see a link that says - GetData. Click on the GetData link and you will be given more options.

Next click in the circle next to php and it will give you the php code to put on the page on your site.

You will not see the products written on your pages after you add the php code until you publish them to the web then go to your page on the web and do a view source and you will see everything written on your page.

What you see is what the SEs will see when they look at your page.

Thumbs up
    Well, thanks! Aren't you spiffy!! I would still like some other options too. I have a few merchants that don't use GC. Buggers!

Talking
    and that code works well for most folk, but some php servers have their security set a little tougher so you could possibly need a workaround, which is available.

try it and see.

also: they furnish code for .asp, .net, .php

Cool
    Well, thanks! Aren't you spiffy!! I would still like some other options too. I have a few merchants that don't use GC. Buggers!
    you may see a sudden jump in GC merchants soon. Some of the ones I really wanted to be using it went with another outfit which is undergoing difficulties right now and I'm not going to predict they come back either. Anyway, those merchants may be looking at the GC solution real soon.

Cool
    >>>What you see is what the SEs will see when they look at your page.<<<

and if you look in your log files you'll eventually see the SEs following the links down the chain, level by level. It be cool.

Very cool. :-) Thanks for the heads up guys!

Talking
    Seeing as how it seems to be getting harder for affiliates to make money on the internet with the SEs coming up with all kinds of pentalities (sp?) - have you ever thought about become a merchant.

Check this out http://shopster.com/. They have a forum here at ABW. They have over 700,000 products for your to sell and they handle everything for you.

You build your site like you want it and put the products that you want to sell on it so every site is different - unless someone finds and copies your site.

They let you build your site online using their software. It is easy to do.

I'm building a merchant site on it right now. I should have it finished and out today. I've been working on it and adding products to it for about a week now.

Just another option for you to think about.

They also let you build your own feed of whatever you want to sell and auto list your products on Ebay, Froogle, GoogleBase, Yahoo shopping, Ubid and etc all for the same price.

Exclamation
    re Shopster: I'd take a long look at quality of goods vs. cost. I know you can set your own markup but I remember early comments about this in the private forum at AMWSO. No idea, of course, if things got better as I don't go into deals where there is a threshold that determines whether you pay rent or not. (if I remember right.)

Talking
    There is really no way that I can see that you can get taken by this.

You set your own prices for the products - and you can see what the product will cost you before you ever set your price.

You do not pay for the products that you sell until after you sell it - they take the cost and send you the profit after you sell it.

You can set each product price one at a time or you can set the % of profit that you want on every product and their software will build the price so you get the % of profit that you want on every product automatically.

They host your site for you so you don't have a seperate hosting fee for your site.

They have a toll free 800 number so you can call and ask questions about your site anytime you want to - and they answer and talk to you and help you.

Herb - why don't you register for the 7 day free trial and check it out - it won't cost you anything.

It may turn out I won't make any money off it - but then again - maybe I will. You don't know until you try.

How many affiliate sites have we all put out and paid for in time and money and didn't make a penny off of them until we found one that would work.

You know - if you're unhappy with what your sites are doing right now - try something different.

If may or may not work out - but you won't know until you give it a try.

To me - this offers a lot of possibilites to market and list the site as a merchant site that an affiliate site is not allowed to market in or be listed in.

I'm not saying that you are wrong - it may turn out to be the way you said - but people that make a lot of money in everything that they do are always open for new ideas and ways to sell products and make money - and that is why they make a lot of money.

Don't ever be afraid to try something new. Who knows - it might be just what you were looking for and make you a lot of money - but you'll never know if it will or not unless you give it a try.

http://www.thoughtshapers.com/index....-samarasekera/
    Last edited by BurgerBoy; January 29th, 2007 at 11:11 AM.

Outsourced Program Manager
    Welcome back Lisa, you missed your birthday thread:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=67742

Thanks Mike!

And thanks for all the input. :-)

I would still like some input on a user friendly product listing database/editor. While these suggestions are helpful, I still have my own listings to contend with.

what about gossamer links? loads of seo stuff in that

Here are a few other options:

- Gossamer Links
    - Kaon Price Comparison
    - Price Tapestry

For an inexpensive solution Price Tapestry is a nice choice. I haven't used it, but the demo looks good and I've heard good things about it. You are right to want to host the database on your own server. You can use any merchant with a datafeed, you aren't limited by any 4th click system and you can do anything you want with the data.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Arrow
    Burger Boy: I followed the discussions before it was a program. I saw the early work on it. I saw the objections arise with the early pricing vs lack of quality. This even now is not my cup of tea. I could peddle stuff in eBay and feel better about it.

If anyone is doing OK now with it, then good for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    Here are a few other options:

- Gossamer Links
    - Kaon Price Comparison
    - Price Tapestry

For an inexpensive solution Price Tapestry is a nice choice. I haven't used it, but the demo looks good and I've heard good things about it. You are right to want to host the database on your own server. You can use any merchant with a datafeed, you aren't limited by any 4th click system and you can do anything you want with the data.

- Scott
    I like gossamer threads for an affiiate directory and their system is always able to be modfied. Here is my site that uses links SQL from gossamer
    www.online-coupons-store.com

ALthough the site is outdated and don't even use it anymore but i would not use for a datafeed site

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread