Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Booth Attraction Ideas
    What are some things that would draw you to booths at Affiliate Summit?
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Online Marketing Consultant
    Have a game like a putt-putt thing
    Food and beverages always work well ( machines)
    Things that have smells are good
    Toys and fun toys work great
    A series of lapel pins if you can set it up between 4 or 5 booths to collect the set then be entered into a drawing.

and much much more. One of my best friend's companys does this type of thing. I am happy ot pass his info on to you guys if you would want it.

Giveaways are always cool, but I find myself more drawn by who or what company is represented in the booth. I avoided most of the CPA Network boths, no matter what they had to lure people in.

Several boths offer candy, gum, mints, and sometimes even booze. But I've never seen any offer things that would be even more beneficial to sleep-deprived attendees: Red Bull or Starbucks. (Okay, I did see one with coffee, but a portable expresso/latte/mocha vendor would really be popular.)

Product giveaways are nice, especially if your products aren't something we're already familiar with or are of a high quality. TFAW did a good job. Their booth was jammed full of their products, and I think they intended to give all of it away.

I really don't think "booth babes" draw the right kind of interest. (Billy might disagree.) I'd rather be able to talk to the people I work with (or would work with).

Merchants could very easily offer commission boosts and activation bonuses in their booths (or with cards they hand out, if they don't have a booth), but few do. Ron (7 Days) was handing out cards about the bonuses available with his new merchant.

Drawings are a great way to get a bunch of business cards. There were quite a few of those, but most were at CPA Network booths so I didn't participate.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Amazingly - I can't believe I'm saying this - the booth with the Teddy Bears (1st row/back left-hand corner) - the leggy booth babes were a turn off! They smiled for photo ops, but the rest of the time they had an attitude like they wanted to be anywhere other then the summit!

(and as Michael pointed out, they couldn't answer any questions about the program)

A booth needs at LEAST their banner on the back wall. Some looked like just a table. And MY opinion is if they can't afford to "decorate", they can't afford to pay.

Enough booth reps to handle the crowd. I passed up many booths because the one or two reps were already talking to someone (and in some cases, I knew the person chatting would take 2 hours)

Booth reps with social skills. There were some that never made eye contact with me while we talked - felt odd - and distrtusful - which is a biggie for me

As it is often the case, excellent thread, Michael!!

I'd say: unusual gifts.

Many of you know about those hand-carved bears (typing on a computer) that I was giving away. Well.... I have a feeling they were accepted very well; and especially so, because of the fact that most everyone was giving away the same ole pens, T-shirts and other usual logo-imprinted stuff...

So, I'd say: have something unusual to give away, and that will attract people.

Geno

I really don't think "booth babes" draw the right kind of interest. (Billy might disagree.) I'd rather be able to talk to the people I work with (or would work with).
    I ended up with "model blinds" after a while, much like the AdSense blind site visitors end up with after a while.

So attractions?

1.) Have something compelling to talk about. Advertise ahead of time that "we want to discuss this with you when you get here."

2.) Enough reps to handle the crowd, as mentioned above. Tough sometimes... I'm sure Brian didn't envision having half the convention in front of his booth all day...

3.) Get IN the aisle. Sitting back in your booth doesn't get me interested. You don't have to tackle people, but you can say Hi when I walk by...

4.) Take someone's business card when they hand it to you. I had one guy, at a company I won't name, just keep looking right past me and talking. He never even put his hand out. He was pretty smug.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    I'll be handing out black bandanas with our logo in Miami ..
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

Things that worked for me:

1. Cute women in their nighties. Oh, wait, that was Carolyn and Melissa (still cute), but those were flannel PJ's. Still, it was a neat idea and not like the girls listed below.
    2. For Vegas, put one of those water coolers at your booth. People would surely stop.
    3. I liked SAS's booth with the monitors where you could show folks your stuff on-line, real time.
    4. I liked having real people at the booths. Some companies looked like they all hired models in dress suits and dresses.
    5. Fish bowl for contest. I love those and sometimes it got me to stop and talk.

Things that did not work for me at Summit and kept me walking buy.

1. Booths that screamed CPA network and they were trying to grab you as you walked by.
    2. Girls in short shorts (if you need to hire them to get attention....)
    3. A race car taking up two booths (wasn't that the one with the girls)
    4. A very short Elvis impersonator.
    5. Booths like CJ where there were all those people and they were too busy talking to themselves to notice me. Tisk, tisk, tisk.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by 7-days
    Booths ... where there were all those people and they were too busy talking to themselves to notice me.
    I've seen a few of those too... Very sad.

G.

I would like to suggest that, when choosing toys for booths, think of how people will be carrying them and getting them back home. The items that ended up in my suitcase were small, light and easy to pack ... and most definitely not breakable. I also found that I had to empty my tote bag at least twice a day due to the weight and bulk of toys ... and I wasn't even trying to collect them.

The maker was a good idea ... as I wandered round with my bag of I had people asking me where I had found it as they could smell it being made. A really strong smell of coffee ... or chocolate ... would also work.

Sweets would have been good ... the kind that sooth throats after so much talking.

Does nobody hand out mouse pads any more? I was actually looking for some as my old ones are in need of replacement ... I guess they aren't considered cool toys any more.

I loved the mobile phone holder given out by a logo company at the meet market. It folds flat, is light and sits on my desk with the company name foremost ... just what it should be doing.

I did notice that several actual toys were being given out this time ... the TFAW ones were great and did represent their company ... but other teddy bears etc didn't really attract me ... they're cute but are unlikely to be sitting on many affiliate desks. They might attract people to the booth to get something for a child back home but will not necessarily have a lasting impact on a summit attendee.

Sue.

My comments about booths reflect my experience at last summer's Summit.

I agree with Michael about the CPA networks, not really interested. So it ended up that there were only about five or six companies I was interested in speaking with. Booth babes irritate me beyond belief. Product demos are good. If you are a network, list merchants you have available.

BOOTH NUMBERS!

I went in looking for specific booth numbers and could not find them. If the Summit folks don't present such a card one can put on the front of their booth, then the exhibiters should bring one just in case.

And this follows to something else. Some booths I had a hard time figuring out what they were. They spent a fortune on their display, but it did not grab me and say, hey, I'm a merchant or I'm a network.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    "But I've never seen any offer things that would be even more beneficial to sleep-deprived attendees: Red Bull or Starbucks."
    Excellent idea!

I like things I can consume so I have room in my bags to travel home - stuff like Coley's ideas above - maybe some $5 poker chips would have been nice...

maybe a small humidifier (ok, not a good idea, but man my nose was dried out in vegas)...

tshirts (i can wear, i usually underpack a tad and can stuff one in my bags easy enough)...

something that i can give my kids or wife (TFAW gave me some awesome playing cards! Thanks Dale!)

a good product presentation with someone who can handle hard questions and deliver, fast honest answers (Jessie at PopShops, thanks!!!)

i did get some really great shark slippers from Melissa at CrazyForBargains via the SAS Team - those were so great i made room in my bag for them, plus the spiderman boxers... so maybe my "things i can consume" idea ain't well thought out, cuz i luv me some CFB treats!

if you hire booth eye candy, make them wear pep rally hats or something, nothing worse than asking a question and getting that blank "but i'm cute" look in return...

show was good and crowded (good job Missy and Shawn!), so people standing at your booth often blocked the waist level signage - if i can't tell who you are, i ain't even breaking stride - get some eye level (or higher) signage if you can.

i'd suggest for aff recruiting / draw that you offer a free license to roboform in exchange for an affiliates biz card. generally, affs with biz cards are serious and worth knowing. it'll cost you and you'll have to make some kind of deal with the roboform folks, but i'd think any affiliate could use another roboform license. those that would want a license have tons of passwords - a good demographic indicator of the type of affiliate you want to meet.

http and a telephoto
    I like pens and I really like notepads, not the book kind, but the cube kind, I am still using some from Summit 2006 and was hoping to restock. The ABW postit pad in the attendee bags was great! I like to make notes and have them on small, but not too small, pieces of paper instead of having a big piece of paper with a todo list. Then I feel good when I can crumple one up and toss it when the task is finished! The company name is in front of me for a good long time

I also like pens, and although "unusual" is good, I would rather have things that have sticking power and are useful. I didn't notice there weren't any mouse pads, I got several from AdTech, the thin ones that PRWeb handed out were great! They pack well and are nice looking and they are handy to have at hotels etc.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

http and a telephoto
    (loves Donuts roboform idea!)
    Deborah Carney

http and a telephoto
    For me this is a great thread, because I have merchants that ask the value of having giveaways, some of my merchants don't believe there is residual value at all. I'd like to hear what gives value and whether the immediate value is also worthwhile. In other words, we give out something cool, you take it home and forget it, but because you got it to begin with it gives you the incentive to work with us? The warm, fuzzy factor...?
    Deborah Carney

I might be simple, but the immediate warm fuzzy feeling does mean something to me. I've added about 8 new merchants plus GoldenCAN so far since I came home. Most of Andy's, TFAW, Blair, and Hometown Quotes. Why? Because they all made an actual effort. It was less about what they gave and more about how they treated me when I talked to them. So I guess my booth attraction ideas are that Booth Babes make me NOT want to include you on my site, people who seem phony make me not want to add you to my site, and people who seem genuine in working with me do make it on my site...and fast.
    --Tricia Meyer-- I love being the exception to the rule.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

In general, I would think that anything that will be useful on my desk would be a good idea ... especially if unusual but with the company name or logo included ... there is little point in a cool gift if I don't remember where it came from.

For that warm fuzzy feeling ... it would have to be something special to do that ... like the fuzzy slippers. I don't think too many merchants would want to go that far though.

Something like the is good for enticing people to return to a booth several times.

I love the idea of the poker chips ... maybe a merchant could strike a deal with the hotel for specially printed money slips for the slot machines or a branded players card with a random amount of free play on it.

On the other hand ... booths with no obvious giveaways tend to be ignored ... at least by people who do not already work with the company.

Sue.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    One of the coolest give-aways I got at Summit was a computer screen cleaner - I'll have to dig it out to remember where I got it but it rocks. :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

One of the coolest give-aways I got at Summit was a computer screen cleaner - I'll have to dig it out to remember where I got it but it rocks. :-)
    Logoworks - mine is sitting right here. Everyone at my house liked that best, too!

Logoworks also did the mobile phone holder that I liked. They had several cool giveaways at the meet market.

Sue.

Brilliant, intelligent and successful people like the ones submitting to this forum. I don't care for too many gimmicks. Intelligent and clever conversation goes a long way! Michael, Andy, Ron, Debbie, Carolyn, Rexanne to name a few...what else could I want?

Smiles,
    Ana
    [FONT=Century Gothic][FONT=Book Antiqua]southbeachannie
    [EMAIL="annie@southbeachannie.com"]annie@southbeachannie.com[/EMAIL]
    [url="http://www.southbeachannie.com"]online lifestyle magazine[/url]

[/FONT][/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by southbeachannie
    Brilliant, intelligent and successful people like the ones submitting to this forum. I don't care for too many gimmicks. Intelligent and clever conversation goes a long way! Michael, Andy, Ron, Debbie, Carolyn, Rexanne to name a few...what else could I want?

Smiles,
    Ana
    Awwwwwww Ana you're too sweet!

We need an ABW booth at next Summit - We'll all man it and wow the attendees. :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Quote Originally Posted by Staril
    Logoworks also did the mobile phone holder that I liked. They had several cool giveaways at the meet market.

Sue.
    Yeah the phone holder was cool, too! I'm gonna have to get those 2 goodies out of my bag and put them to use.

Thanks for identifying the company Judi!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

You are welcome Rexanne! In all honesty, I never take off my fuzzy kitten slippers and refuse to go anywhere without them now. They look funky with business wear!
    [FONT=Century Gothic][FONT=Book Antiqua]southbeachannie
    [EMAIL="annie@southbeachannie.com"]annie@southbeachannie.com[/EMAIL]
    [url="http://www.southbeachannie.com"]online lifestyle magazine[/url]

[/FONT][/FONT]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast