Over the past month or so I have started receiving bucketloads of emails from merchants looking to develop strategic partnerships, or attempting to have me join their affiliate programs.

All of these merchants it would seem have done their research, have visited my site/s, and they all have been extremely good matches for the content of my sites.

Is anyone else noticing a rise in this sort of contact from merchants you are not presently affiliated with?

Also, what exactly has gotten into these merchants to make them all become proactive over the last month? Is there some new merchant "affiliate list" swapping club?.. or is the affiliate game finally evolving to become a serious business?

15 years and counting
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> is the affiliate game finally evolving to become a serious business? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Yes, it is a serious business and the times are changing.
    I remember when I was begging a merchant to give me a commission in exchange of a sale, it was not so long ago. I was never sure to be paid.There was no trusted third party. Who remember the beginning of LS, CJ, BF? My first merchant was Virtual Vineyards before amazon, a pionnier in that field.
    I have merchants knocking at my door mostly everyday now. We're the trendy new sales channel. I guess we are performing much better than traditional advertising (and for less upfront money). The future belongs to us.

It's not the big that eat the small... it's the fast that eat the slow. Jennings & Haughton

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Is anyone else noticing a rise in this sort of contact from merchants you are not presently affiliated with?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, Yes and Yes.

If I can tell that they have had a good look at my sites then I consider them.

Earlier in the month I got an e-mail from an affiliate manager who noticed I was promoting a competitor of theres so she pointed out how their product was superior and cheaper. She also pointed out that their commission was better (they are both @ CJ).

I pointed out that I was having some success in converting with said merchant and that I "may" consider her program.

She wrote back saying that she is sure that her product can convert for me and that I should give it a try.

I replied saying "ok" I'll sign up and give it try but I also told her that I would still actively promote the competitor because it is converting well.

She replied saying it was great that I joined up, give us a chance, blah, blah, blah.

I like the fact that I have most of the power in this relationship.

-----------------------------------------------------------
    Website Tools | Webmaster Resources | Website Articles

ABW Ambassador
    See the "email this" link at the bottom of each thread? Send to a merchant. Sometimes that will generate quite the response.

AS SEEN ON SE!!!

ABW Ambassador
    Hmmmm. Here I was thinking the exact opposite, what with all the "Don't post this on your page" and "We reserve the right to terminate and not pay you if we don't like a certain word/color/graphic on your page" e-mails we've seen as of late.

Seems to me like the merchants/AM's are the ones trying to wield the power.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Seems to me like the merchants/AM's are the ones trying to wield the power. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You bet your sweet bippy that they are going to try!

But, that does not mean they will win. I despise the merchant I have mostly used for a long time. The only reason I kept them at all was that I thought they were the only game in town. Well, I worked and worked to get those rankings and guess what. There is another merchant who is going to get the gravy. And, I am going to make sure the first merchant knows it, too.

He is one of those who wants the power. He has treated me like dirt.

Well, It won't work any more.

Actually, I look for a healthy balance, soon. And, it is about time, too.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Notice the huge jump in membership here at ABW. Many are merchants lurking and hitting the active posters e-mail link and pasting their "join my program". I'm all for it if they read the posts and clean up their act. The tide is turning as even the e-mail UCE opt-out spammers,parasites and Duperaffiliates are getting cut off at the knees by Adaware and e-mail filtering programs. Now merchants are finding the traditional online advertising industry offerings can never match the ROI of a successfully run affiliate program.

WebMaster Mike

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Is anyone else noticing a rise in this sort of contact from merchants you are not presently affiliated with? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes!

Even while some merchants are effectively taking themselves out of the game, others are jumping in with both feet. The jerks that think they have a monopoly on commissions will soon notice that there are others jumping at the chance to get good affiliates!

There is no knowledge that is not power.~~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Mike has a definite point, ROI is great with affiliate marketing! It can be calculated and for a PPS program it can be figured into product cost. The largest challenge over old conventional advertising, is bringing a new program or product to market. This form of advertising should be a no-brainer for merchants, if NBC said that they would only charge you a percentage of the revenue increase from running a commercial in prime time, they would have every slot filled in seconds!

I am curios though, does any one know a merchant who uses just affiliate marketing for their web advertising?

Craig Uberroth
    Knack Technologies
    marketing@megamouse.com
    (913)731-6010
    Get your LaunchPad @
    MegaMouse.com

Outsourced Program Manager
    Yes! I think a shift is taking place. Merchants are now starting to look at affiliate programs different. As they continue to perform and beat thier own forecastsand outshine other departments that may be having trouble, companies are starting to see the potential with affiliates. And merchants are now starting to treat this channel as a sales channel and working with affiliates appropriately.

And communications channels such as ABW are helping to promote this and instigate the change. I know that our provider, LinkShare, is also helping to propogate the change as well. I think a lot of great things are going on in this industry today.

Jamie Birch
    Affiliate and Partner Programs Manager
    Coldwater Creek
    jbirch@thecreek.com
    208-265-3958

Merchants and spammers have both begun to use this board as a reference, and it probably occured way before I joined. I do not like the cold calls from either. If they had such great programs, they should use the board as intended.

John

Perhaps, Haiko could start a forum under the Merchant's Forum where merchants can introduce themselves and their programs ... a Merchant's Introduction Forum.

Then anybody looking for new programs could skim what's new and available.

Judge your success by the degree that you're enjoying peace, health, and love.

To My mind, this is the perfect form of advertising for a merchant. It is a blend between advertising and a paid saleperson's commission. Most directly related to a "commission onlY" sales rep.

But, from the merchant's point of view, to get maybe millions of impressions and only pay for verified sales is a bargain.

Compare that to, say a newspaper. The merchant plunks down ad money and hopes (1) the ad is read, (2) the reader acts (3) the reader buys.

DO YOU THINK ANY NEWSPAPER would survive if they had to PROVE SALES.

I think not. Same for all media ad outlets.

I think Affiliate Marketing is THE single smart choice for any merchant. Having been in business and having tried to figure out my best ad purchase, I would have jumped at Affiliate marketing if it had been available.

This IS the best thing going, bar none.

Pay for performance in advertising? Never been done on this scale before!!!

This is only the beginning, in my opinion. Once the ad exec's realize the benefits and start recommending it to the board, the heavens will open up!!!

The future is so bright, I gotta wear shades.

And Yes, I am getting very nice offers from well- placed mechants.

I can only say: Thanks to ABW.

And to ABW posters: What you post may be contibute to your prosperity. You are being watched closely. Those CEO's are starting to take this stuff seriously.

What a game!~ Gotta love it!

Doc

"I spent most of my money on
    Gambling, Whiskey and Women.
    The rest I just wasted."

Dr-Fix-It!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> If they had such great programs, they should use the board as intended. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mo merchants have used this board to spam me - I don't have an email address or a web site listed. The emails also come to specfic email addresses, for whichever site they think is a good match for their program. These emails are also coming direct, and not through mailing lists such as CJ's messaging system.

I have actually received another one since posting the original message. This is getting quite strange.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    They probably have a robot type script that they use to spot a domain that has network server HTML tags like bfast... etc etc. They then visit the affiliates site or the robot scraps the e-mail address off the pages.

This place sure is the best way to learn the benefits and pitfalls of pay per performance affiliate marketing. We do emphazise the pay part.

WebMaster Mike

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Mo merchants have used this board to spam me<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No merchant, nor anyone will ever get the ABW mailing list, as many have seen, I specificaly removed the homepage link in the posts, I did this to further protect all members, no url nor email will be divulged as a result of ABW ... Period!

=================

Tracy,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Perhaps, Haiko could start a forum under the Merchant's Forum where merchants can introduce themselves and their programs ... a Merchant's Introduction Forum.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is the specific goal of the Open Q&A™ forums.

=================

Doc,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I can only say: Thanks to ABW.

And to ABW posters: What you post may be contibute to your prosperity. You are being watched closely. Those CEO's are starting to take this stuff seriously.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

More than you know! CPA is the least expensive aquistion model and as long as we [members ... ad networks, merchants and affiliates] keep it clean it will only grow! Aff marketing numbers have only increased and if the "powers that be" allow us the ethical leway ... it only will continue to grow!

=================

Mike,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>This place sure is the best way to learn the benefits and pitfalls of pay per performance affiliate marketing. We do emphazise the pay part.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pay to play or go way!

We'll sort the malarkeyout! and continue to grow the industry and revenues via REAL business and REAL tracking and REAL compensation thereof!

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

Surely no merchant is stupid enough to spam these boards.

Btw - Is malarkey really a word? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

-----------------------------------------------------------
    Website Tools | Webmaster Resources | Website Articles

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread