Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Is CJ down again? I can't get through for the last 5 minutes.... I'm sure this won't effect tracking...

http://SearchToSale.com - Turns your search box into money.

I can not get in....

Maria at ItsRainingBargains.com

Down for me, but I'm not complaining. I think this is the longest they have been up without going down in months. Let's just hope it is very short.

Ron
    7 Days A Week Marketing

"Keep your hands out of my cookie jar!"

Hey Todd, how's it tracking? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

The account manager is down.

- - - - -
    42. Yup, the answer to life, the universe, and everything.

15 years and counting
    "The Commission Junction Account Manager is unavailable at this time" The problem is: Is it going to last 10 minutes or 10 hours? No warning this time. I was in the middle of a major update for one of my site. May be they have too much traffic. My morning sales were fantastic.

It's not the big that eat the small... it's the fast that eat the slow. Jennings & Haughton

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    It's not what it says, it's what it DOESN'T say that stands out to me.

Nowhere did I see those much laughed-at words, as of 3:21 Eastern Time:

"Tracking will not be affected."

Personally I do not find the lack of that statement to be an improvement, whether other laugh at it or not! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Hey, the site's working again @ 3:22! Hopefully it'll stay up!

There is no knowledge that is not power.~~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tracking is unaffected (except for AffJus - we turned off your account so everyone elses tracking would work).

You can test your links to see if tracking is working or not by viewing a banner and seeing that it (a) was served/loaded and then (b) clicking on your link to see if it redirects you to the advertiser's site. If the click works, tracking is unaffected.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

C'mon Leader, you know how our system works. Tracking servers are completely separate from members area servers. To draw the conclusion that both were affected because CJ didn't post an exact time isn't very logical. (Is that what you were saying?)

The tracking servers were working the entire time. The only thing affected was access to the members area and the updating of reporting - tracking is a completely separate function.

You guys are (a) addicted to reporting and (b) paranoid. No one is trying to scam you. If tracking were down we would tell you.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

[This message was edited by ToddCrawford, CJ.com on September 17, 2002 at 03:38 PM.]

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    quote:
    To draw the conclusion that both were affected because CJ didn't post an exact time isn't very logical.

YOU c'mon Todd, you know darn well that I wasn't drawing that conclusion "because CJ didn't post an exact time". *I* posted the times just in case what WAS stated on the CJ site mysteriously changed later.

And you also know that I didn't forget that the member's area and the tracking servers are seperate.

It's that the "site down" notice no longer said that tracking will not be affected!

I write enough pitches to know that what is NOT said is often the most important thing. In other words: No statement that it will not be affected = it Will Be Affected!

It was perfectly logical to interpret the lack of a "still tracking statement" in the manner that I did. Why else would CJ NOT make the statement it always had in the past???

I don't appreciate the attempt to make it look like I was engaging in illogical thinking when in fact I was making a quite reasonable observation.

There is no knowledge that is not power.~~Ralph Waldo Emerson

For more information on fault tolerance and distributed systems...

Distributed Systems: Principles and Paradigms

Enjoy!

Ooooo, is someone at CJ a little touchy today? Todd, time to take some pain pills. Or are you all recovered?

Just giving you a bad time. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] I'm sure you've missed my comments over the last month and I did not want you to feel neglected.

But, hey, while we are on the subject. How do we ever know if the tracking server goes down with out testing our banner ads 24 hours a day?

Ron
    7 Days A Week Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by ToddCrawford, CJ.com:
    Tracking is unaffected (except for AffJus - we turned off your account so everyone elses tracking would work).
    Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

I knew you'd get me! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Leader,

quote:
    I don't appreciate the attempt to make it look like I was engaging in illogical thinking when in fact I was making a quite reasonable observation.

Sorry, it wasn't clear to me what you were trying to say in your original post. It seemed out of character for you. My mistake.

7-days,

quote:
    But, hey, while we are on the subject. How do we ever know if the tracking server goes down with out testing our banner ads 24 hours a day?

How do you know that God exists? Blind faith.

The only way to know that tracking is always working is to stay up 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and click on your links to see if they redirect correctly. Or you can believe in CJ! Have faith brothers and sisters.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    You guys are (a) addicted to reporting and (b) paranoid. No one is trying to scam you. If tracking were down we would tell you.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

[This message was edited by ToddCrawford, CJ.com on September 17, 2002 at 03:38 PM.]

a) GUILTY.
    b) One mans scam is another mans' "opps."

How about music123 reversing 96% of my sales. What is that?
    How about Old Glory, site redone, all links no longer working, where is my affiliate code? Been told "we are working on it.." for days, now weeks.
    How about Coreride. 6 weeks without tracking! By their (and CJ's) admission. "We're working on it.." Yea, so are the cancer researchers.

You can name/call it anything you want. But the bottom line is that the bottom line is less than it should be.

If I'm making this stuff up, call me out on it. But these three cases are real (and I'm not even mentioning the ones I suspect.)

AffJus,

quote:
    How about Old Glory, site redone, all links no longer working, where is my affiliate code? Been told "we are working on it.." for days, now weeks.
    How about Coreride. 6 weeks without tracking! By their (and CJ's) admission. "We're working on it.." Yea, so are the cancer researchers.

I am not disagreeing with your concerns but I do want to point out that this is not the same thing as CJ not tracking. These are issues related to specific advertisers not CJ as a whole.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

quote:
    quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How do you know that God exists? Blind faith.

The only way to know that tracking is always working is to stay up 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and click on your links to see if they redirect correctly. Or you can believe in CJ! Have faith brothers and sisters.

Faith or not, I'm a lot less paranoid now that CJ is not my only source of affiliate income. I was really paranoid when it was my only one, especially during those times when it certainly looked like tracking was not working right. Now that I have other affiliate managers and rely less on one, I sometimes go a whole day without looking at my stats. Sometimes even two days! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Ron
    7 Days A Week Marketing

I must say that personally I am pretty confident that CJ does accurately track the transactions when the membership area is down. (except from merchants that delete cookies which is obviously 100% inaccurate)

Larry Wentz
    www.AffiliateNetwork.org
    www.MultipleDomainHosting.net

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    quote:
    How about Coreride. 6 weeks without tracking!

Glad I pulled them after they told me their office had a good laff over parasitware when they were asked about it. Sure glad I got rid of them off my site
    Seems there were other reasons for no sales either
    PFFFFTTTTTT on them

It was so cold last winter that I saw a lawyer with his hands in his own pockets.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by AffJus:
    I'm sure this won't effect tracking...

Btw, this was 100% made in jest. I only added it because every email or website notification I see from CJ has this tacked on the bottom. I was just copying you. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by ToddCrawford, CJ.com:
    AffJus,

quote:

I am not disagreeing with your concerns but I do want to point out that this is not the same thing as CJ not tracking. These are issues related to specific advertisers not CJ as a whole.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

I understand that. And really I was just joking around about the tracking comment. I should have put a [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] in there.

But what about Coreride? Can you look into this for me? By their own admission NO ONE has been credited with sales or payment for over a month. How long does it take to fix things? What compensation will we get for this time?

And what about Music123. They have a 30% or so return ratio for the last 12 months network wide, but for 3 months in a row, we have averaged 96% returns with them. That can't be an opps.

I've converted those that I had at OG to another merchant, but they don't have the exact product line that OG did. I can see that was not a scam, just a bad communications thing. But how long does it take to fix these things? Even if they dump all my links to a 404 page, why isn't my affiliate code being saved?

quote:
    I must say that personally I am pretty confident that CJ does accurately track the transactions when the membership area is down.

I'm also pretty confident in their tracking. It's just sometimes things are not what they should be and my observation has been, "How can we tell if it tracked appropriately." It's often a day or two later when things are working right that we wonder why there was nothing happening for a day or two. Yeah, we check our banners now and they work fine, but what about during those two days. I don't have time to click on my banners every hour (plus ruining my EPC).

My host provider guarantees xx.x% uptime and there are ways for me to check that easily. CJ does not offer any guarantees and there is no way to track it. It seems to me this should be something they should add in the future, if for nothing else, it would be a great PR thing for us.

I'm not griping here, just making some observations. I'm xx.x% happy with CJ and will continue to do so as long as that percentage holds. (Sorry, CJ, can't divulge my true figures here). lol

Ron
    7 Days A Week Marketing

AffJus,

I checked with Network Quality. Coreride is re-integrated and tracking. As for Music123, I suggest you contact the advertiser regarding your reversals. The program as a whole seems to be fine.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

[Post edited for subject relevancy]

[This message was edited by Haiko on September 17, 2002 at 07:08 PM.]

15 years and counting
    AffJus
    quote:
    And what about Music123. They have a 30% or so return ratio for the last 12 months network wide, but for 3 months in a row, we have averaged 96% returns with them. That can't be an opps.

I had a high reversal rate at the beginning with them. After a detail investigation of my traffic, I was able to discover that 90% of my reverse transactions were coming from a few countries. Now, my reversal rate is around 30%, it's still high but musical instruments have a high return rate. Read Leader post on this subject.

It's not the big that eat the small... it's the fast that eat the slow. Jennings & Haughton

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast