I know this has been discussed here before, but a search isn't turning up the topic I remember.

Is it generally better to promote a merchant with just a single optimized page, or with multiple pages - each directed at a specific keyword.

It seems logical to use multiple pages, but I seem to remember someone posting that single pages actually convert better in the long run. If anyone recalls the location of this thread, I'd appreciate it.

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    As with most affiliate marketing, YMMV. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Some people swear by the single merchant per page approach, I swear by the multiple merchants per page approach.

I know when I'm shopping I like choices, so I provide choices to my end-users.

I can only vouch for the one, but apparently both approaches work. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

"The only thing that helps me maintain my slender grip on reality is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes." -- Holly, from Red Dwarf

I'm trying a little of both.

I'm currently rebuilding my web site, and here is how I hope to accomplished this.

On the main page for whatever the topic / product is, I've list 3 or 4 merchants / products with a short summary for each.

Directly under the summary, I put 2 links. The first link is a "click here to buy", or "click here to apply" link. This link takes them directly to the merchant site's shopping cart for that item or to an application form to apply for whatever service that is being touted on my site.

The second link is a "more info..." link. When they click on this link they are taken to another page on my site that has more information(ad spin) about the product. This page has a banner at the top for the product and another "click here to buy" link at the bottom of the page.

I'm really hoping that this approach will work as intended.

Greg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Put all your eggs in one basket ... and watch that basket! ... Mark Twain<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I used to dedicate one page per merchant. THe majority of visitors to my site only visit 2 or 3 pages per visit. So, I do three things. (1) I have a page for the merchant, then (2) I have a page for the products which combine several merchants together, and (3) the products that are converting very well for me get their own private banner ad on lots of pages. Oh, and I cross-link the pages ... "If you'd like to see more choices for abc product, visit this page."

I've noticed that most people click through and purchase products, but rarely click my banners. So, slowly but surely I'm replacing all the banners on my site with ads I create myself for individual products. I also try to tie those products in with my content. If I have a recipe that uses a particular utensil, then I provide a link to that utensil with a picture so people can purchase it.

Judge your success by the degree that you're enjoying peace, health, and love.

This is a very difficult question to answer.
    I think it really depends on what you are promoting. You could have a page that has so many merchants (but individual products)
    Lets say a page for top selling electronics could have a couple of top sellers from different merchants.

You could also have a page with only one merchant and have items or promotions or offers or topsellers exclusive to that merchant only.

And also dedicate a few pages to a specific merchant dpending on how the merchant is converting for you and the relationship between what the merchant has to offer and your site content

So it actually boils down to the owner of the site and what content on the site or the theme of the site.
    We like to have a bit of everything. Of course we would want to give more space on our site to merchants we trust and ones who convert.

http://www.abusaki.com

I have pages with only one merchant, that's only because I can't find other merchants who carry the same products, or those merchants are gone during my evaluation process, otherwise I use multiple merchants, but put emphasis on 2-3. One exception though, when I'm testing how well a merchant performs (for me), I use only one merchant per page.

I usuaully do one page for one merchant and the results have been pretty good. I used to think selling software was hard but I credit the dedicated pages for the sales of these products.

I've added a few of pages that have around 4 products/services on them. It's too early to tell how they are performing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I think it really depends on what you are promoting.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I tottaly agree with that. It could be an idea to do some trial and error and see what works best for you.

------------------------------------------------------------
    Website Tools | Webmaster Resources | Website Articles

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Is it generally better to promote a merchant with just a single optimized page, or with multiple pages - each directed at a specific keyword. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have lots of virtual mall sites and on them a single optimized page for each product/merchant has done very well, so I've been highly in favor of that approach until just recently.

But I have to retract the comments I made in the past against mini-sites (multiple pages - specific keyword), because after making a couple of mini-sites I can see that they can do quite well, too.

It depends on the product line, too--if there's only a few variants of the product, or only a few terms that get searched on related to the product, there's really no point in making a mini-site about it. But some places have 10 zillion products...

The above is totally seperate to the issue of how many merchants to put on a page...I still like one merchant on a page. My CR isn't as good when I have more than one (with equal placement) showing. So if I *do* mention another place, it's way at the bottom...

There is no knowledge that is not power.~~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Millionaire on training wheels Justdoit's Avatar
    I have 2 of the exact same sites, same layout and content. So far, the one with one product/merchant per page outperforms the other one by a longshot. Both sites are mall sites.

Of all the things I've ever lost ... I miss my mind the most!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>But I have to retract the comments I made in the past against mini-sites (multiple pages - specific keyword), because after making a couple of mini-sites I can see that they can do quite well, too.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've heard really good things about mini sites too. I have two new sites in the works and one of them is a mini site.

-----------------------------------------------------------
    Website Tools | Webmaster Resources | Website Articles

Outsourced Program Manager
    I think each one has its benefits. A page with multiple merchants offering similar products can work well if you can show how each merchant is differentiated from the others, what to expect from each merchant and basically how they are different. We have many affiliates that do this and do very well with us.

I also like the mini site idea and it has worked well.

Jamie Birch
    Affiliate and Partner Programs Manager
    Coldwater Creek
    jbirch@thecreek.com
    208-265-3958

Thanks everyone. I'm going to continue to try it both ways, and determine which one works best for me in the long run.

Andy

Affiliate Manager AffiliateBuddha's Avatar
    For me,

1 merchant, one domain and 1 long page works.. and it works wonders!

I have an amazing CR with such pages upto 1 sale per 15 clicks!!!

---------

WECOME TO THE END,
    SATAN.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread