anyone managed to maintain his website from internet cafe's? (during vacation?)
    Hi,
    I'm travelling soon for a long trip to south america, for about 5 months,
    unlike a regular job, I still have the ability to make some money as an affiliate from my websites... I wanted to know whether anyone here was on the same situation?

I'm thinking about maybe login every few days and check how's the adwords campagins doing, make sure products I'm selling havn't discontinued, so I won't be paying on ppc for nothing...

I guess I'll also have to upload my whole website's and password list, in case on of the webhosts gets shut down...

but what If I want to add a page? you think I should carry with me a cd with ftp program and some HTML editor? I wonder if that' would be allowed in internet cafe's or maybe there's a better solution...

anyway - anyone here familiar with this situation and got any tips?

thanks!

Outsourced Program Manager DaveAMWSO's Avatar
    Buy a little USB flash drive and then load it up with some of the apps from this site: portableapps.com

Pretty much everything you need right in your pocket!
    [B]Dave Oliver[/B] - AMWSO Affiliate Program Management Team
    [URL=http://www.amwso.com]www.amwso.com[/URL] | dave [at] amwso.com | AIM: DaveOliPM | Twitter: [URL=https://twitter.com/daveolipm]@daveolipm[/URL] |
    Programs: [URL=http://www.amwso.com/artoftea.php] Art of Tea[/URL] | [URL=http://www.amwso.net/affiliatet/eachbuyer-affiliate-program/]Eachbuyer[/URL] | [URL=https://www.facebook.com/amwso]AMWSO FB[/URL]

well i am not sure if internet cafes will allow you to install programs in their machines, even if they do then security is always a concern as internet cafes are public terminal and you never know....

I'm not sure that USB drives will work in internet cafes ... in many I have used, the actual computer is not available to insert a drive.

Sue.

I you can take a laptop you can probably find a wireless connection. They are almost everywhere these days.
    Affiliate Marketing - The hardest easy money I ever made.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Not an internet cafe, but a library. It's how I started out: Free sites, updated from the library. I had thought those days were over, but:

By surprise a couple of years ago, I ended up doing an update from a library, while on vacation! A merchant had emailed with new terms. Terms I wouldn't agree to (among other things, they wanted to be able to examine my books on demand...no way!). So, I wanted to get rid of their pages immediately, rather than waiting to get home.

My server has a way to change pages via the admin interface. So I used that to not only delete the unwanted pages, but also the nav links going to the pages.

To do it, I had to use raw HTML. I was laughing a bit, since that's how I did sites when I first started: From a library, typing raw HTML into an online interface. Fortunately, now I only have to use the library if I'm on a vacation!

I bring my laptop anywhere I go and typically work from the hotel.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

When I'm traveling in the states I always bring my laptop and work from the hotel too, but if I'm in Europe I use the Internet Cafes, and try not to login anyting important, if I do I change my password right away when I get home.

ABW Ambassador
    Shimmy gives good advice. Shared computers are really insecure, free wireless is always suspect. If you use them and use a password - change the password when you get back.

I try go always get a hotel with internet available. When that can't happen, I VPN into my pc and then work out from there. Even then I try and limit what I do to avoid exposing passwords. I may be paranoid, but I have heard of too many people having issues, especially from shared pcs.

Chet

While I haven't done much traveling lately, I do have a "remote control" solution set up so that I can log in to my computer and do anything I need from nearly any computer that's connected to the internet. (Back in September 2001, when I was stuck in Europe for an extra week after the 9/11 attacks, I logged in nearly every day from internet cafes.)

The nice thing about the "remote control" solution is that I have the exact same user interface and tools available whether I use my computer in my upstairs office, or my wife's computer in the living room, even though they use different versions of Windows.

I've even maintained my web site remotely using my in-laws' computer, which has only an AOL dialup connection, though it's a bit slow.

A new issue for me is that after a recent hacker-invasion, I've changed all of my "secure" passwords to more complex passwords that I can't possibly memorize, and I've been reluctant to create a wallet-size card with all those passwords.

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    I've been reluctant to create a wallet-size card with all those passwords.
    It's OK to have a list of your passwords, as long as they ae encoded. for example, reverse the third and 6th character, or add 2 to the second character, or both. And don't write the code on the list.
    Affiliate Marketing - The hardest easy money I ever made.

Doesn't your web host have a cpanel?

If so, you can do everything from a web browser including modifying html or php files, modifying records in your database, moving files around, etc, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by RickPlmr
    Doesn't your web host have a cpanel?
    On my office door I have a sticker that says: CLI or DIE.

Have you ever used vi or edlin?

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    1) laptop
    or
    2) USB drive at internet cafe

ABW Ambassador
    if traveling a lot then you really need a laptop & wireless remote modem. I'm unsure what it is like in the US but in Australia we have wireless Internet in most states although there are places where there is no reception. Other than that then remote control back to your home office desktop or server is the way to go with a mobile phone Internet connection. I have had to use library's in the past & Internet cafes but they can be outdated, slow and full of bugs. If you have to use that then fill your mobile phone up with all your files and upload via bluetooth to the Internet cafe or use a usb plug although they are easy to lose. It is also a good idea to have everything operational online anyway through your websites cms etc in case of a disaster then you can still run everything before restoring backups to your new system.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

I don't recall if I've tried this. I think I have...

CPanel + Treo(or Pocket PC) = Updates on the go!

I know I've applied to one of Andy's programs on ShareASale on my Treo.
    Last edited by meadowmufn; January 31st, 2007 at 07:43 PM. Reason: addition
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

ABW Ambassador
    A laptop is what you need.

With a laptop you can do your entire affiliate business from anywhere that has a wireless internet connection. I used to use libraries when I had a desktop PC and that worked ok for some basic stuff, but was still a PITA and quite limiting.

A laptop changes all that. Just don't be foolish and get a cheap one. Get a good one and all the bells and whistles you need out of the gate. Getting a small, portable HD for backups is probably also a good idea...although for small backups USB cards work quite nicely too.

I have a couple of pocket drives and several USB drives - all are encrypted. As to remembering the key without writing it down - I use the first line of a nursery rhyme, song or quotable saying and after every word insert numbers that are meaningful to only me. No worries if something gets lost, stolen or confisgated...

Yes... I had a USB drive confisgated because it LOOKED LIKE A POCKETKNIFE and could be mistaken for a weapon.
    CharPaula
    Staying focused on the bottomline

ABW Ambassador
    I travel with a laptop and work in my hotel room. I'm not big on wireless, so I try to find hotels that have wired high speed connections in the rooms. I connect my laptop at an internet cafe when necessary.

Encode / protect your password file. I carry it on a flash drive that is with me at all times.

PS - this is for travel in the US and Canada - I'm not sure what things are like on South America.

I personally strongly recommend getting a laptop when involved in internet business. It's always the safest route to me. Plus you can always update and check on things anytime.

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread