ABW Ambassador
    Anyone here use google PPC? I am guessing so! At any rate, have you noticed that any affiliate most now put somewhere in their ad text the word "affiliate". This is required as of a few days ago and they are slowing taking you offline until they weed everyone out.

They will not allow you to use the word partner, it has to be affiliate.

Further now you cannot have the word "Online" in your title...Huh?

This is beginning to look like some form of unusual and cruel censorship. It certainly does seperate and label all of us affiliates!

ABW Ambassador
    You only need to put the word affiliate in if you have the merchants url listed as the url in the add. Some merchants advertise their own site in google adwords and this helps distinguish the merchant add from the affiliate ad. If you have your own url listed, you don't need the word affiliate in the ad.

May all your ups and downs be in bed

They've been de-activating merchant/affiliates' URLS for several months for not identifying themselves as affiliates. I've had no problems with Adwords directed to my own affiliate websites.

{

Politics as usual : It's not what you know but who you know that's important [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    johnniebry, actually NO this is not true. You are REQUIRED to put the word affiliate in the TEXT, not the title, if you are an affiliate partner. Period.

This has nothing to do with the url or url designations. They have done that for some time and I can understand that.

ABW Ambassador
    Nope, if you have a direct link to a merchants site you need the word affiliate, if you link to your own site you do not. These arent new rules.
    Example type in 'pacific ink' into google, you'll see about 3 ads with the url www.pacificink.com. 2 of them are affiliate links and 1 is the merchant.
    May all your ups and downs be in bed

[This message was edited by johnniebry on August 28, 2002 at 10:03 AM.]

ABW Ambassador
    johnniebry - This is not true. Please listen to what is being said. I am not making something up here.

Whether or not you are linking to your own site or directly to the merchants site has nothing to do with this NEW rule.

Here is a quote from Google, to put this to rest.

>Identify Affiliate Status: Your ad text must >clearly indicate your affiliate status by using >the word “affiliate” in your ad text. This will >provide clear, descriptive ads that help our >users understand the nature of your site and >your business.

So you SEE this has absolutely nothing to do what you are talking about, which is true. This is an entirely new rule. They are slowly going through key terms one by one. I had a couple one day and a couple the other day.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Perhaps this is why so many touchy merchants are screaming they don't want affiliates using their trade names. Pacific Ink is that companies trade name and Google, best known for producing relevant links, is just protecting it's reputation. They,and we, do not want to dilute Goggle's stature or our Googled pages won't show up at the major portals and directories. You can thank them for not just dropping all affiliate listings like Overture and reserving Adwords to merchants and content sites only.

WebMaster Mike

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread