Other than Amazon, does anyone have anything good to say about other book merchants?

Thanks.

CodeJockey.

ABW Ambassador
    I don't know how they are from an Affiliate standpoint, but I recently saw that ABEBooks has joined CJ and from a buyer's perspective, they're a GREAT place to find OOP books.

"The only thing that helps me maintain my slender grip on reality is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes." -- Holly, from Red Dwarf

Code Jockey,

Ecampus does pretty good for me at CJ's. They have a lot more than just College books. A small commish though at 5%. I'm not sure what the others pay.

Affiliate Programs That Kick Major Butt

As lone as you make sure to note that the prices are in CANADIAN FUNDS, Chapters.Indigo.ca does ok as well. Bit slow lately tho

I am a stat addict.
    Acknowledging the addiction is the first step.

>abebooks: Interestingly enough we were declined by these people some time ago.

>ecampus: I'll check it out. Thanks.

>indigo: I'm not sure what our Canadian traffic is, but it's worth checking out. Thanks.

CodeJockey.

ABW Ambassador
    >>abebooks: Interestingly enough we were declined by these people some time ago.

Are you sure it wasn't Alibris that declined you? (Maybe I'm projecting.)

I was pretty sure that ABEbooks' program was brand-spanking new.

"The only thing that helps me maintain my slender grip on reality is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes." -- Holly, from Red Dwarf

ABW Ambassador
    [looking up]
    well, isn't that interesting... how did my last post get all the way up there?

Am I the only one who sees my 12:53 post displayed in the wrong place?

I see it too Cedric. It must mean your posts rate higher than ours, lol. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Affiliate Programs That Kick Major Butt

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I was pretty sure that ABEbooks' program was brand-spanking new. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't think so... I'm sure that it was a couple of months ago... I could be mistaken though.

I'm just sort of concerned over having an awful lot of eggs in the amazon basket. I'd like to diversify a bit more.

CodeJockey.

ABW Ambassador
    Cedric - forum bug. Haiko posted something about it in some random spot ...

Powells.com manages an inhouse affiliate program.

Since my primary product is one book, I'm always looking for and checking out affiliate programs for book sellers. Nobody that sells a large selection of books like Amazon and Barnes and Noble pays beans except Amazon.

For commissions, you just can't beat Amazon. That's because if you create a direct link to a book that is discounted 10%-30%, then you earn a 15% commission. However, if somebody clicks your link, shops around and then buys the book you only earn a 5% commission. If they buy any other book while visiting, you earn 5%. If they buy a used book, you only earn 2.5%. And, if you promote a book that is not discounted by Amazon, then you also only earn 5%.

Dang I wish Amazon would get their act together and get my mother's book back in their inventory. It is so frustrating!

The thing about Amazon is they have built some pretty heavy goodwill on the Internet. Plus now they've lowered the minimum purchase for free shipping to $25, which should help make more sales.

People trust Amazon. I've seen some strange sales there. Just yesterday somebody bought an electric nose hair cutter. This is not something I promote at my microwave cooking site. How does somebody go from reading about cooking to cutting nose hairs?

Judge your success by the degree that you're enjoying peace, health, and love.

Hey, all of us Amazon marketers, why don't we start an email campaign requesting that they stock Tracy's mom's book? I'll bet if we all wrote in and said we want to market the book and don't want to have to refer our visitors to another bookseller [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img], they might consider it.

I'll write in, no problem. Anyone else game?

Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent email left on the planet.

I know you asked about merchants other than Amazon, but I'll point out the huge advantage that most of the Amazon.com book stock is also carried by Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.ca (and Amazon.de, .fr, .at and .jp) so with little effort you can reach into a lot more markets.

Alphacraze are an interesting looking CJ merchant.. the commission is 6% (i.e. higher than Amazon's 5%) but the chargeback rate is over 20%. They have a good range of product links in CJ though, so you can generate the links easily from within the CJ interface. I've only just started using them for some non-Book products so I haven't much of an opinion on them yet other than that.

Dynamoo.com - CreepyGuy - Poozleanimus

ABW Ambassador
    Dynamoo, do you remember the long thread about Alphacraze? About them being an affiliate of Amazon, out of stock on most items. etc, etc, etc. Does anybody know an update on them?

May all your ups and downs be in bed

Thank you, webmistress, that is so sweet of you! I would appreciate it if any or all of you who promote books would list my mom's: Microwave Cooking for One by Marie T Smith, once Amazon gets it back as available, which hopefully will be just a few more days. I was earning $2.07 per sale when they had it discounted for 20%.

I spoke to the publisher, and it turns out the problem isn't Amazon, as much as it is Ingram and Baker & Taylor, large distributors of books. Amazon relies on their databases to promote books at its site. If these distributors don't have the book in stock, then Amazon doesn't have it in stock either.

For those that don't know, Amazon doesn't actually stock a lot of books it sells in its warehouse. That's why you see different shipping availability: immediately, 24-hours, 2-3 days, 1 to 2 weeks. Often when you order, they have to get the book first. I'm not really familiar with Baker & Taylor, but I'm pretty sure Ingram has a 24-hour deal with Amazon.

When I spoke to the sales manager at the publisher, he looked up Ingram and saw they listed it as out of print. He promised me that it would be straightened out in the next two days.

What absolutely drives me nuts is the fact that both Amazon UK (24-hours) and Canada (1 to 2 weeks) show that book as being available. Does anybody know if you have to join separate affiliate programs for Canada and UK? Or if Amazon even has affiliate programs for their non-U.S. sites?

Judge your success by the degree that you're enjoying peace, health, and love.

Seperate Amazon accounts for US, Canada and the UK.

I am a stat addict.
    Acknowledging the addiction is the first step.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CodeJockey:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I was pretty sure that ABEbooks' program was brand-spanking new. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't think so... I'm sure that it was a couple of months ago... I could be mistaken though.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Many, many moons ago, when ABEbooks started at CJ, they were called "JustBooks".

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.
    Rule of acquisition #80

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread