I have some questions that I believe I know the answer to, yet I really would like to get everyone's input before I give what I think is the correct spin on these questions.

A business creates a place where merchants gather to do their dealings and charges a fee for doing business in this marketplace.

Is posting signs warning the buyer that they can be jacked and that the marketplace is not responsible for the merchants that may rip them off being accountable to the consumers?

Should the marketplace be allowed to remain open and the owner continue to collect the fees from participating merchants?

How many bad apples does it take to spoil the barrel?

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Scott Yant
    Mall Director
    Boise Online Mall.com

ABW Ambassador
    Depends on the size of the apple. It comes down to how many unscrupulous individuals that you can deal with. Most will overlook one or two but if you continually allow scum to participate, people will pack their toys and go elsewhere IMHO.

Mike

Don't Worry Mama, It Won't Get Freaky!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Is posting signs warning the buyer that they can be jacked and that the marketplace is not responsible for the merchants that may rip them off being accountable to the consumers?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

NO!

If the marketplace that charges the businesses to do business at its site wants to be accountable to the consumer, then the marketplace should kick out any business that has been proven to be one that rips off consumers.

That is, of course, if the marketplace wants to remain in business. If I went to a site and saw a warning, SHOP AT YOUR OWN RISK, I wouldn't shop there. The marketplace owner is not going to be in business long if that's his/her attitude towards working with businesses that rip people off.

After a while, not only would people not shop there, but reputible businesses wouldn't pay a fee to do business there either. There would be no way to tell which businesses rip people off. So a potential new business wouldn't want to be associated with the marketplace for fear that it would be assumed that they, too, rip people off.

Judge your success by the degree that you're enjoying peace, health, and love.

I agree so far but I can't give Blues X the blame.
    But this Company could use a good tracker.
    The barrel is huge!
    And Tracy you're right on.

I want to wait for some more responses before I offer up a final example of how this standard we conduct are businesses with does not apply to all.

Anybody have a clue where this is going to point the finger at.
    I'm sure we all have our own examples.

Please stay tuned and share you thoughts.

Scott Yant
    Mall Director
    Boise Online Mall.com

I don't think this is the marketplace you are referring to, but this reminded me of an article I read in the August 2002 issue of Business 2.0 about how eBay doesn't do a very good job about protecting its consumers from fraud. Must have been a popular article because they have a reprint online: What eBay Isn't Telling You: A $300,000 con shows how easy it is to manipulate the system. Is eBay coming clean about fraud?

Evidently, eBay's idea of fraud protection is its rating system, where buyers and sellers rate each other after a transaction. Of course, "easy" for this con took him several years to set up. I have never understood why somebody would put so much energy and time into developing a con that might ultimately end them up in jail, when if they redirected their energy and intelligence into building a business honestly they could come out a winner. I can only guess that it is the thrill of getting away with it, or at least trying to anyway.

But to continue with you questions (it was late last night and I was only up to one of them),

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Should the marketplace be allowed to remain open and the owner continue to collect the fees from participating merchants?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who's going to close them down? We live in a capitalist society. There is no way to police them and close them down in an instant. This all takes time: Other merchants will leave because they don't want to be associated with a bad name or because nobody is shopping with them through that portal; and consumers quit shopping and sue because they were ripped off. Little by little they lose merchants and consumers. Eventually, they close down when enough people say: enough is enough. They aren't closed down because somebody did it to them, they close themselves down because their business model is no longer a viable means of making money when they lose their merchant and consumer base.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>How many bad apples does it take to spoil the barrel?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

One.

If you get rid of that one bad apple before it starts spoiling the rest of the barrel, no problem. But, if you don't, then little by little it is going to eat away at the rest of the apples in the barrel.
    ---

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Should the marketplace be allowed to remain open and the owner continue to collect the fees from participating merchants?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Should a physical shopping mall's owner be put out of business if a store in the mall sells defective items? Or does CC fraud on its customers?

How about if a car's stolen??

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Anybody have a clue where this is going to point the finger at.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Smells like another anti-CJ rant in the cooker... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

There is no knowledge that is not power.~~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tracy,I was thinking about E-bay! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]
    You have pegged my example. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    The thought of closing places down is not going to happen I understand and I agree.

It does not matter, Blues X was right (He has way of getting right to the point) however I hope that the consumer reacts eventually and starts migrating away from places that have these problems.

Since E-bay was mentioned I will add, that though I will never support or promote E-bay since it's just my preference I have read the article.
    I think those folks that choose to sell at E-bay should have to have resellers permits and obtain all the things that a legit biz has to have to operate.

What do you think?

Would this be a first step in building accountabilty or am I just riding a dead horse?

Thanks Tracy for your insight.

Leader thanks for your input I'm not a ranter I have many years experience in Brick and Mortar retail sales and service.
    To me there isn't anything more valuable than a customer and respect is the first thing I offer them.
    So in the local online mall I direct and own I try my best to provide safe shopping via national vendors for my visitors to shop from.

I do appreciate the tools that Link Share, Be Free, Performics, and CJ provide in order to full fill this online service. I rely on their committments.

As far as the local vendors I promote at the mall, I meet with them personally to make sure they share the same respect and customer service goals. I advise them that they will be asked to leave and their rent money I will return should they actually have a negative mark against them that our local BBB cannot work out to be a postive mark.

I'm not ranting just concerned for my shoppers and vendors. I think this is a great place to get that feedback.

Scott Yant
    Mall Director
    Boise Online Mall.com

That's too funny! One of the last things I did last night before going to bed was post my response. I awoke this morning thinking about it, and that eBay article came to mind.

I was with Leader on this one. I thought surely the answer was going to be one of the networks.

Hmmmm...you asked, how many apples does it take to spoil a barrel? ... not a small universe. It never occurred to me to consider the size of the barrel. I'm going to have to think about this one some more.

But alas, I have to get to work* right now. Only a half-day, thank goodness! But 2,000 pieces of mail to process when I get home. But, I will be thinking about it, and get back to you.

---
    *Darn! There's that dirty word again.
    ---

The reputation of a business means everything. But it seems more and more "reputable" companies have been doing some dirty deeds.

Eventually it will catch up to them.

As for eBay, I promote them but I do put an "FYI" on the page that provides additional warnings to people contemplating placing a bid.

Andy

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread