Help With CPL
    I haven't implemented a program yet, so I'm hopeful this won't be construed as spam. Afterall, if you go to my homepage, you'll see that the link to the Affiliates page goes no where. That said...

I am trying to figure out the best way to implement a new CPL affiliate program. The catch is that my company will need to verify that the lead information submitted is accurate. This stems from my company selling these leads to other companies.

As affiliates, what kind of structure (payment, tracking, etc) would you want to see implemented for you to feel comfortable with the company, or would this verification procedure scare you away all together? Realistically, I could stand to profitably pay upwards of $40 / valid lead.

Your question depends upon a few different variables. Do you want affiliates to send you leads (IE: completed forms) or do you want affiliates to send you traffic and have the form completed on your site? If it's the former, then I would assume those affiliates will understand your methods of verifying the info. If it's the latter, then I would explain that to your affiliate base when they sign up so that they know what to expect. One of the determinable factors is "am I making money?" If the affiliate is making money, they'll stay with your program.

What type of leads are you buying?

Todd
    Last edited by taky123; January 30th, 2007 at 08:38 PM. Reason: spelling

My web site will gather information from people interested in receiving quotes for web site development. I will pay for each form that is successfully filled out. Additionally, I am thinking of paying for each referred company that signs up to receive such leads.

Currently the system is designed to have the user fill out the form that's on my web site, though I am open to considering allowing affiliates to put up comparable forms on their sites and submitting the information to our servers for verification. Do you think more affiliates would be interested in the service if they host the forms on their own servers? Would any advantage gained from offering this option outweigh the disadvantages inherent in giving up control of where the form is hosted?

For your service, I'd definitely recommend hosting signup forms on your site. When I look at hosting companies, I want to look at their company's site and check out all of their plans and services.

Provide affiliates with great creative and a competitive payout and they'll drive the traffic your way. It'll be your job to convert the traffic into new customers.

Todd

As a merchant, of course you want to know that the leads you are getting are quality. You should specify in your affiliate text that you're paying XXX for valid leads.

With any product or service there's always going to be someone trying to by your filters to earn some quick cash. Working with fraud control within one of the larger networks will help some and you can always reverse affiliate transactions if you discover fraud.

Todd

Quote Originally Posted by taky123
    For your service, I'd definitely recommend hosting signup forms on your site. When I look at hosting companies, I want to look at their company's site and check out all of their plans and services.
    I'm not sure if my description was too clear. I'll be selling the leads to WEB DEVELOPERS not web hosting companies. A good number of the leads my company will generate will be for companies who already have a web site, but need some work done. This is the basic sense of how it will work:

Web development companies 'X' and 'Y' have signed up for my service to receive leads. Company 'Z' either needs a new web site, or needs work done on an existing web site. Company 'Z' is driven to my web site where they fill out a form requesting quotes for the work they need done. I give Company 'Z's information to 'X' and 'Y' for a small fee. 'X' and 'Y' then bid on the project, and I'm able to eat dinner.

My only contact with Company 'Z' will be to make sure that it is a real company with valid contact information. However, as a way to boost revenue, I am in the process of signing up to be an affiliate of a credit card processing company, and am already an affiliate of several web hosting companies. As the person who wins the bid for Company 'Z' will have a large say in how business is run, I will target an affiliate program towards them to resell web hosting and credit card processing. That affiliate program will be done in-house.

What I'm looking to learn on ABW is the best way to get companies 'X', 'Y', and 'Z' to my web site and signed up for my service. From there I have a pretty good backend built to manage the accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by taky123
    Provide affiliates with great creative and a competitive payout and they'll drive the traffic your way. It'll be your job to convert the traffic into new customers.
    Agreed. And that's why I'm here: to learn how to do that.

CPA vs Traditional
    So I've done a lot of reading on this board about CPA networks. Obviously, my affiliate program is lead-based, but that doesn't mean I'm necessarily into going the CPA route. It seems that CPA's might generate more traffic and sales, but that the cost of that growth is less control over the program and higher reversals (not to mention having to be more hawkish over how your image is being portrayed).

So my questions. Is this perception fairly accurate? If so, does the increase in sales potential sufficiently offset everything else? When is it best to go with a CPA, and when should you run a lead-based program off a traditional network?

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread