Does CJ post sales immediately?
    I have recently joined CJ. I would like to know, when buyer completes the transaction, how much time CJ takes to post the sale. Does CJ post the sales immediately in Quick Stats section or merchant report the sale to CJ then CJ post that sale.

For me, it takes 2 hours to update on average.

15 years and counting
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen18
    I have recently joined CJ. I would like to know, when buyer completes the transaction, how much time CJ takes to post the sale. Does CJ post the sales immediately in Quick Stats section or merchant report the sale to CJ then CJ post that sale.
    It depends of the merchant.
    Check your merchant detail.
    You'll find this near the bottom of the page:
    Batch Process Transactions:
    If it's No, the average posting time is 2 hours as nabeelk said (it used to be real time several years ago)
    If it's Yes, you can add several hours if the merchant batch daily or several days. You have the date for the last batch.
    I'm not sure the Quick Stats section is the fastest report to update. Check also Publisher Home Commission Summary or Run Reports - Performance Reports Generate Reports

Thanks Zeus,

So, can CJ update the sales column on its own, or it is the merchant who report the sale to CJ and then CJ update the sale.

I am asking this question, because I got few sales (4 sales for 112 clicks) for one merchant from Jan 10 to Jan 20, so I increased the promotion, but in last 10 days, there is no sale at all (160 clicks in last 10 days) for that merchant.

15 years and counting
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen18
    Thanks Zeus,

So, can CJ update the sales column on its own, or it is the merchant who report the sale to CJ and then CJ update the sale.

I am asking this question, because I got few sales (4 sales for 112 clicks) for one merchant from Jan 10 to Jan 20, so I increased the promotion, but in last 10 days, there is no sale at all (160 clicks in last 10 days) for that merchant.
    If it's a batch processing, the merchant has to push the data to CJ to update.
    if not a batch merchant, the sale information is updated automatically. (When everything is working)
    Statistically speaking, there's nothing wrong with your sales. You can have 4 sales for 112 clicks one week and none the next week. Some weeks are bad for business, it depends of what you're selling.
    With a deeper knowlegde of your market and at least one year of experience you'll discover the most favorable periods for selling your product. If you sell heart shaped chocolate or red roses, the best period is coming.

Online Marketing Consultant
    The other things is if there is a delay. We batched in lastnight, but there is a delay at CJ so our program is going to be reporting a little bit late. It depends when CJ can get caught up.

Verbosely Virtuous Mutt spacedog's Avatar
    Other tips for checking up-to-date CJ earnings
    Personally, I use:

Home Review New Transactions (which is under Quick Tasks on the right side of the main page). This is one of the fastest ways of seeing new commissions appear because it only takes one click from the main page to get there and you don't have to generate a report.

Once in that section, you can see each new transaction for the day (as well as in previous days) in detail by clicking on the dollar amount in the "New" column next to today's date. However, if you have not gotten any comms yet for today, you might not see a line item for today's date at all until 1 to 2 hours after the first one of the day (for you) posts.

If you're impatient like me and have nothing showing yet for today, you can click Modify Query, then change the "select report type" to Commission Detail, change the "select time frame" to Exact Period / Today / Event Date, then if any comms have come through in the last couple hours (keeping in mind there is a 1 to 2 hour delay between time the commission is reported and time that CJ will post it to this report for you as a publisher to see) they will probably show up. If nothing shows up, you'll have to wait longer; either you're out of luck for the day so far, or there's been reporting delays -- a somewhat common occurrence but never something to count on to explain poor performance! Also keep in mind that if an entire day goes by without any commissions for you, a line item for that date will not appear at all.

As Zeus said, comms are not reported in real time any more. They are generally reported at the TOP of each hour (that is, 1:00, 2:00, etc). However, once in a while you might see them show up at odd times.

A bit of advice: try not to login at the top of every hour expecting something glorious to appear. Try to manage your expectations and patience and only check it a few times per day, or you might go totally insane with dashed hopes every hour. I'll admit I'm often a victim of this too. It's actually a much more valuable use of your time and energy to work on campaigns and websites, and do research and apply to new partners, rather than do the hourly report-check dance.

With SAS, another popular affiliate network, it's even more possible to be a report hound (some might call it greedy) because commissions show up in real time. It's tempting to check it constantly.

Thanks spacedog for that note of advice. I think that is applicable to all people, who are new in affiliate marketing.
    Today, I saw a note of reporting delay by CJ and one commission after 10 days. Any idea, that note (Reporting Delays) is generally used by CJ for single day delay or it could be of 6 to 7 days delay.

Verbosely Virtuous Mutt spacedog's Avatar
    It's highly unlikely that a delay is any more than a single day. There have only been rare instances in the past that commissions were posted more than a day after the fact (other than Batch transactions). Of course, there's also no surefire way to know that CJ's tracking system with each and every one of its merchants ("advertisers") is up and working properly at all times.

If you feel that you may have some sales that have not been credited to your account, you could contact the merchant directly through their AM, i.e. Affiliate Manager, (if they have one listed on their Advertiser Detail page in CJ) and ask if there's been any problems with affiliate sales tracking. You might also consider making a test purchase yourself. I'm not a big fan of test purchases myself since I'd then have to find a way to reverse the sale or I'll have to eat the product even if I don't need it. However, folks here will tell you if you warn the AM in advance and perhaps coordinate the purchase with the AM, you can avoid the pitfalls mentioned above. I've never tried this but it works for some affiliates and merchants.

Before you do any of the above, I must reiterate what Zeus said about 112 clicks with some sales and then 160 clicks with no sales. This is extremely common as a result of all the variables in this kind of online business. In fact getting 4 sales in 112 clicks is a very high conversion rate, and everything may just balance out over time. 272 total clicks is not a large enough pool to really pinpoint a good statistical trend. Some of the best affiliates have thousands or even tens of thousands of affiliate clicks per *day*. If over time you see a problem with the results in a larger pool of data, you might want to bring it up. And of course if you see a smaller earning result than you expected, you should tweak your PPC campaigns, improve your websites, and perhaps consider partnering with a different merchant than the one you currently have, which offers the same kinds of products. Ask yourself if your ads and content really apply to what the people who land on your site are looking for.

And I can't stress this enough: Diversify, diversify, diversify. Partner with more and more merchants, both on CJ as well as other affiliate networks and even independent programs. I hate to say it, but 272 clicks in about 20 days, while a good start, is not going to get you where you want to be. I know; I was there once. Branch out and broaden your niche(s) to put yourself in a position to partner with more affiliate programs. Let's say you can generate 272 clicks per day over 10 different programs at once. Then you'll see much more consistent earnings, and almost certainly you will have daily sales! It sounds like a lot, but putting some good hours and weeks of effort into it could quite possibly get you there more quickly than you think. Not all 10 will be high click/sale generators, but the more you do, the better the consistency. I have some that average me only $1 or $2 net profit per day, but with many partnerships they certainly add up. Then there are those gems that surprise you by being more profitable than you had imagined. Once you score one of those kinds, put more effort into improving it than you do the less successful ones, obviously! And keep looking for more. They're lurking out there.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread