WebTrendsLive are dropping their free edition at the end of next month [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

I've used this for about a year in combination with FishTracker. WTL gives me "high level" historical stats going back a year and FishTracker gives 7 days of access logs, keywords etc.

What I'm looking for then is a good tracker, preferably free or very low cost. My pages are designed to take a small banner (e.g. 100x30).

What do other people use? Or should I be looking at getting hold of the raw log files instead and parsing them?

Dynamoo.com - CreepyGuy - Poozleanimus

I use http://www.sitemeter.com on many of my sites. Stats aren't as good as webtrendslive is, but also has things that webtrendslive didn't unless you paid for it.

Heidi
    Fit2a-t: The Center of the T-shirt Universe!

I use two packages together:

AXS Vistor Tracking System: http://www.xav.com/scripts/axs/
    I use this for my short term stats, and often delete the logs daily. It can also keep count on your outgoing links, if you want that.
    It isn't too detailed, but an OK package. You will have to install the cgi-script, and tag all your pages with a special code.

AWStats: http://awstats.sourceforge.net/
    See the demo on their site!
    This one needs access to your server log files. I use this to get the long term perspective. You don't have to put any code on the pages, as this is a server logfile analyzer.

Both are free, and relatively easy to install. And you don't have to put anyones banner on your pages.

ABW Ambassador
    Raw log analysis is really the way to go - for clients sites, I use HappyLog for offline analysis and NetTracker for a couple of larger clients. HappyLog is only $33 and it is a great little program; NetTracker is - I think - $1,000 now, but I've never upgraded from version 3.5 as it still does everything I need it to.

Online tracking I use AdvLogger (I think I may have mentioned this one before !) and I kinda like AwStats too for quick checks.

Ones to avoid: WebAlizer, Extreme-DM (please feel free to use it if you want the rest of the world to know how much traffic you get and where it comes from) and any other tracker that isn't properly password protected.

Quick search engine tip for checking other peoples trackers:

go to www.altavista.com, do this search:

keyword1 keyword2 link:extreme-dm.com

This will pull up all the sites using your keywords who also use the Extreme-DM tracker. Click through to the site, click the link to Extreme-DM and there you go - lots of useful information on traffic/best referrers and so on.

Who says AltaVista is useless ?

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

ABW Ambassador
    >>Quick search engine tip<<

Now that little tip was well-worth the price of admission. lol... even if only for prurient interests.

"The only thing that helps me maintain my slender grip on reality is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes." -- Holly, from Red Dwarf

That's quite evil. Actually, extremedm is a favourite of mine when I'm visiting a web site.. lotsa lovely stats [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Dynamoo.com - CreepyGuy - Poozleanimus

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    add free stats
    Seem to give me decent reports for a free service.

WW

It was so cold last winter that I saw a lawyer with his hands in his own pockets.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> That's quite evil. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, I dunno..rather like it myself. Just today I got a link from a site that I know is going to bring me around 1,500 visitors over the next three months - just from using this very (evil) trick.

I just started using http://www.countercentral.com/ Cost is about $8.00 a month per site. I'd be leery of free counters anymore, who knows how long they will be around. And changing out counter codes is not my idea of productive time.

MarkyMark,

What did you not like about Webalyzer? I am thinking about installing it on my server for log analysis...

Core

"Somebody's got some 'splanin to do!" - Rex [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Oh how I hate this on a second go around. First all the webtrends live coded updates to 19 client sites at the start of the year. Second all these same folks had a stats program from mycomputer.com that pulled their program.

Earlier this week beseen.com (looksmart property)closed their website which feeds a bunch of my clients "quick navigation" pull down bar for various section of their sites.

Now I need a new source for both services so I'll stay tunes and check out your recommendations. Seems like all these ASP providers go belly up. Wasn't Cleopatra killed by an ASP? See how history does repeat itself.

WebMaster Mike

ABW Ambassador
    Core,

Webalizer doesn't show unique visitors in any meaningful way, it's spider list is woeful and incomplete, it doesn't give any real idea of the search phrases used on the site, it doesn't track visitors through the site - in short, it is awful.

Someone posted the URL to awstats above - try that; much better (and prettier too).

Thanks.. I have some basic stats built-into my hosting package but I can't access the raw log files.

Sitemeter looks pretty good, I can use that with Fishtracker to cover all the bases.

dynamoo.com - geeky stuff for umm geeks.

and who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks, even if they are evil.

Thanks

Once a year, go someplace you've never been before.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread