I was checking my logs yesterday and found many referrals from a MSN community. So I went to check and they had ripped off whole pages of my site, logo, graphics and all. They were hotlinking to my logo and graphics. An exact cut and paste, just left off the site nav at the bottom.

So, I go looking through and they had also ripped of many other sites of similar content.

I wrote them and cc'd MSN as well to notify them they had 48 hrs to take it down. And also in the letter I stated they had done the same to many other sites.

Luckily within a few hours they wrote back and said they had removed it and also the other peoples as well!!

Then they added, no harm was intended [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]
    They knew enough to take out my links and copywrite notice, hotlink to my graphics - and no harm intended!!! yeah right, not at all until they got caught.

Vicki [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

she was tired of being poor, and she wasn't into selling door to door.... CSN

Affiliateville, USA
    You were lucky to have caught it and lucky they removed it, but the next person will not be so lucky I'm sure.

7 Days A Week Marketing

"Keep your hands out of my cookie jar!"

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    St Clair Shores MI.
    You should put their hosting site on notice too.

WebMaster Mike

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Then they added, no harm was intended
    They knew enough to take out my links and copywrite notice, hotlink to my graphics - and no harm intended!!! yeah right, not at all until they got caught.

Believe it or not, there are still people who don't know any better. I'm not defending it by any stretch of the imagination. I just know how clue-less some of these people are because my I get numerous requests to use material from my content sites. These are almost always either for use in personal hobby pages or for pages done by coaches - in otherwords non professionals. Some actually say "if I don't hear back by such-and-such I will assume it is OK" ... others ask me personally for permission to use others' material that I've posted with permission along with the originator's contact info instead of contacting the person themselves. At least these folks ask ... I've had plenty use it and not ask, or hot link. Thinking that hot linking is legal is a very popular myth.

LOL - you seem to be having alot of trouble with this lately. Why not put up a plug for your affiliate sites next time you discover it [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] - like a gif that says "for holiday savings shop !" or pictures of product with your URl across the bottom [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Stuff that makes me go, "huh?"

I discovered yesterday that somebody had copied one of my pages which ranks well on msn - they just changed a few words and the urls of the links (but left one of my affiliate links intact - doh!). The irony is that this page is content and makes me virtually no money, but it helps a bit with PR and the like I suppose and it used to be a good earner until 5 of the 6 affiliate programs on it closed!! (it's a page for job seekers). I guess they are trying to copy a high ranking page to get more traffic to their own jobs site (they are using it like a gateway to their company site, not for affiliate marketing).

I emailed them with a request to remove within 24 hours - that was 24 hours ago. No response yet and the page is still there.

Best advice I received was to "concentrate on doing it better and staying one step ahead rather than getting distracted by these things however annoying".

but still - it's a bit of an odd feeling when you see one of your pages on somebody elses site and think - oooh you cheeky beggar! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

- edited poor spelling! ---

A competitor of mine has just launched a new site, and I noticed they have taken at least 3, and possibly 4, images from my site.

They haven't hotlinked them, but they loaded them on their own server, renamed and resized all of them - except one wasn't resized. Two of the images were heavily edited by me before they were put online, and you can see the evidence of my editing on their copy. The 4th image could possibly be a different, but very similar one.

I thought about just writing to them and wishing them well on their new site, and commenting that they have the exact same photos on their site as we do!

Is this too subtle? I don't want to start a war with them, as they have contacts in the industry that are pretty influential, so I wouldn't want any backlash from them reflecting on my site, but I don't want them to just get away with it either.

What should I do?

[Edited for clarity]

At my computer
    On one of my sites, a few of the people working on some of the content borrowed copy from another site. I would not call them a competitor, but they were in the same market.

They noticed the content and asked that it be taken down, which it was. I had no idea this occured, and felt horrible that it had.

Be straight forward and tell them to take it down.

I do like the idea of changing hotlinked graphics just to mess with someone.

Once a year, go someplace you've never been before.

This is probably a real, real stupid question, but what is "hot-linking" and how is it different from just plain linking?

hot-linking is when a graphic displayed on your page comes directly from another persons page. In other words, the graphic is hosted on their server, and when you hot-link the graphic it uses up their bandwidth.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread