Smile Managing a forum...
    For those of you who have forums: how hard is it to manage one? I know it varies, but on average, do you feel you put a lot of time into your forum, and find that it takes a bit too much away from other work that you need to be doing?

Also, do many of you actually moderate it yourself, or do you hire (or find a volunteer) to do it for you - in order to free up the time?

I'm interested in starting a vbulletin forum on one of my sites - it'll be only one of a couple currently on the web for this particular niche, so I've been giving it a lot of thought lately, and am about ready to make a decision. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Starting out, you need to be on it 24/7 and constantly promotiing it. If you loose any steam momentum in recruiting or posting, of if spammers get in and over run it, the forum will fail ... I've seen it 1,000's of times. So, if your not willing to dedicate the time, go with a blog, same benefits and "interaction" without the all time requiements.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Thanks, Haiko. The site already has an established blog - I love it for the content I can introduce, and comments that visitors leave. But I thought hte forum would add another dimension to the site - and allow another level of interaction between visitors.

I should be able to afford a couple hours a day (throughout the day) to moderate as best I can (I have no idea yet whether that'll be enough)...then maybe I can find volunteers, or hire someone to assist. If by chance the forum actually survives..

Decisions, decisions...

If you can get them to post stay wait for a reply, post again then you got a shot.

It's hard to get them to stay. You have to be everyones mommy and deal with all the little drama.

If you over moderate you lose poeple, if you under moderate you lose people.

You can't always ban that loser member that insults you on the frst insult.

Like Haiiko said it's a 24/7 job when you first start, and when you get that member base you got to figure out who you can trust as a mod etc.

Thanks Mike. I need all the help I can get, to tell you the truth. Never moderated a forum before, so it'll be a learning process as I go along.

In all honesty - I guess there's only one way to find out, right?!

Thanks again

ABW Ambassador
    I created a multimedia/audio forum a few years ago, spent a lot of time creating it in the first year. Now it has over 4,000 members & nearly 50,000 threads and has an active following from musicians mainly. we get about 20 -30 new members a week. Most are to get support for a certain audio company's product line. I have a couple of mods who take care of it and they get a prize from a sponsor once a month but they just enjoy it there. I hardly ever go there but I try to visit once every few days to see what everyone is doing. I have lots of plans for it in the future but I'm waiting for phpbb 3 to be released. I also have another 5 - 6 forums which are not so active.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

Successful forums are deceptively difficult to create.

It's a lot of hard work and dedication, but more importantly you need to be motivated in those low-traffic early days.

Good luck!

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread