Mamabo, Joomla, phpWebsite...
    Can anyone tell me which of these CMS apps you would recemmend. I am not a programmer in any way, shape, or form. SO i need an admin area to create advanced functions and dynamic content on my sites.

If anyone can tell me which of these would be the simplest, and feature-rich at the same time for a non-programmer like me to use...i would be very grateful.

Thanks

Affiliate Manager AffiliateBuddha's Avatar
    Joomla by far sees to be the most popular and easy to use CMS, haven't used it myself so that's the public opinion. There are tons of happy joomla users web-wide.
    Gift Shopping Zone Affiliate Program on SAS - 10% per sale with unlimited cookie duration, over 10,000 products.

I'd suggest going to each site and playing with a demo. Or find a site that reviews them all. Personally out of that list I have only used Mambo.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

I brought up my first Joomla site a couple of weeks ago and I love it. It has some quirks that you have to get used to (like integrating goldenCAN) but you can usually find a solution on their forums and extensions directory. I am a non-programmer also with limited html skills (and no java or phph) and Joomla allowed me to do things that are far beyond my programming skills.

There is also a very rich library of add-on modules to help customize your site and add features that would otherwise require weeks of programming. And best of all, since Joomla is open source so are the majority of extensions.

Go to joomla.org and register as a user and you can run their demo site. You can also download their documentation there.
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

http://opensourcecms.com

Demo site will let you look at the fontend and admin backend of tons of opensource CMS without having to install them yourself.

Joomla is a good choice but it's inbetween right now. They are in beta with 1.5 and soon to be released. Which means 3rd party dev has slowed waiting for the final. Then it will be a while before a lot of them are released. Joomla has a very large community making addons, the best ones are $$$.

I would go with Drupal, but the learning curve is steep. The recent stable release of 5.x is nice. In the long run Drupal is far more powerful and flexible. If you are going to learn a new CMS, I would go the Drupal route. It's a bit more complex but it can handle heavy traffic better and more flexibility in catagories.

http://theonion.com is an example of a very high traffic Drupal site. http://savannahnow.com/ is a nice example of how great a Drupal site can look.

http://drupal.org/forum/25 Showcase of drupal sites.

ABW Ambassador
    I just set up my first Joomla site recently too and I LOVE it! There are a lot of plugins you can get for it and it's really amazing. I wish I would have found it earlier.

I had a similar question about Joomla; you might be interested in the thread:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...ghlight=Joomla
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Thank you all...
    ...for your input.

I see that currently, Joomla has gained a lot more popularity very quickly. I will go with Joomla.

Best Wishes to everyone.

I use Drupal for about a dozen different sites, and chose it after struggling to work with Joomla and the others you mentioned. I thought Drupal was way easier to understand than Joomla, and there are SO many add-ons for Drupal that let you do some amazing things with it. I highly recommend Drupal.

You won't be disappointed with joomla - they struggled a bit when they first broke from mambo, but they've definitely defined a tangent from it and are going strong.

I went through multiple cms for last 4 years. And settled with joomla few months back.
    Joomla has largest number of QUALITY addons and templates.

Joomla is best for non programmer or php beginners. You won't be sorry.

But if you want to create your own complex modules/components go with CakePHP.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    I tried drupal and joomla
    I tried using drupal and I found it to be a overly complicated mess. You have to take many steps to do simple things. It really is only good for programmers. It was horrible as a blog. The administration was confusing and lacked elegance.
    The people in their forums were arrogant saying that it was a perfect blog and that they had no reason to upgrade its features (this was in response to other posts not my own). Joomla has a different feeling. If you have a problem people will try to help. Joomla has a nice, organized, graphical control panel. When I tried Joomla after trying Drupal, I felt like I were being released from a dungeon.

That's an interesting summary, lostdeviant
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

thanks
    Thank you, Rhia

How has your experience been this last year trying out different CMS systems?

Quote Originally Posted by lostdeviant
    Thank you, Rhia

How has your experience been this last year trying out different CMS systems?
    My experience has mainly been limited to discussion on 3 different forums including this one.

I'm interested in the topic but I wonder if the benefits outweigh the hassles?

Your critique of Drupal, for example, doesn't exactly inspire me to try it
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Try one out
    Well there is some hassle to it, but there is also hassle to spending hours finding scripts to integrate to your HTML site. There is also hassle to have to re-upload everything after changing your Dreamweaver template.
    I am still converting my main site to Joomla from HTML with Dreamweaver. The main reason I am no longer using static HTML for my site's pages is that it isn't dynamic and using CMS means that I can quickly make changes to the templates and the look of my site stays consistent. Joomla has great options for sidebar menus.
    The hard adjustment is including my external Javascript based stuff. In joomla you go to the menu administration and ad a 'wrapper' page. You drop in the address of your Javascript page, add a title and what you want it to show up in the URL and save. The external page shows up with your normal sidebars, header, etc. Another nice thing that I can't easily do in Dreamweaver is to show or hide sidebar items per page. By adjusting the menu items, you can show or hide items. So if you don't want to have two sidebars on your forum or game pages, just hide EVERYTHING for that sidebar(s) in the menu and when you click on the link in the menu for a page (external or internal) the sidebar is gone (at least for good templates).
    As was mentioned earlier, you can publish and unpublish articles (and menu items) very easily (one click in the administration). To publish is to make visible. If you unpublish an article (page) or menu, it is no longer there. You didn't have to delete anything and you don't have to upload changed pages or menus.

I suppose if you have your system all perfected using Dreamweaver then you shouldn't switch. Why don't you try installing Joomla in a separate directory on one of your sites and play with it and see if you like it (and let us know).
    If your webhost has fantastico you can install the old and mature version very quickly. I am using the beta version using the most recent nightly build.

Rhia, could you tell me in which forum I can find your tips for writing great ad copy? I'm still working on adding links to my site. I found your ideas very helpful. I might just make a sale one of these days ;-)

Noth's comments about Joomla/CMS made me cautious
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showpost.p...1&postcount=11

I don't go to forums for discussions on "ad copy" -- I'm a pretty good writer

I went to forums to discuss Joomla & other CMS programs --Digital Point has a popular forum
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

We can be cautious
    Well, in that post he mentions that the hacking came through a 3rd party module/plugin. You don't have to use them.

The most important thing is to just keep a backup of your site. You could download your entire site to a folder on your hard drive (as if it were a site in Dreamweaver) and make a backup of your database in PHPmyAdmin. If you ever get hacked, you could always re-upload everything.

Yes, I know you are a great ad-copy writer, but I'm not.

Quote Originally Posted by lostdeviant
    Yes, I know you are a great ad-copy writer, but I'm not.
    Well, you can search for copywriting and copywriting tips on Google & other search engines.

These sites might be worth a look:

Web Copywriting Tips, and advice on Web Page Optimization.

copyblogger

You can also take courses at colleges and online if you're really interested in the topic
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

thank you Rhia

And my comments are still true today. The Joomla community keeps a darn accurate list of which add-ons are known to have holes... I'd link to it, but I'm running out the door at the moment. Check out their Security forum. Section called Third party Addons/Extensions.

Anything can be hacked. Always up to the webmaster to keep things buttoned up
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread