ABW Ambassador
    If you had the opportunity to coach a brand new affiliate manager on where the affiliate landmines are (things they step on/in without even realizing it until the big BOOM from affiliates), what would you tell them? And how would you explain it to them?

One example (yes, the impetus of this thread... the merchant is a GOOD merchant, but unclued as to this particular landmine... well, he's clued now.)

---

LANDMINE #1
    Posting my URL on your "Top-Performing Affiliates" page or in your newsletter.

WHY IS THIS A LANDMINE?
    Sure it seems like a good idea to you -- you're showing you have strong affiliates and you think I'll like the nudge in traffic or the SE boost ... but think about that for a moment. You're sending my COMPETITORS to my site and telling them "this is what a successful site looks like."

This is NOT buying traffic you're sending me, this is THIEVING traffic.

If you MUST have such a page, request permission before posting any of your affiliates' URLs. And only post if they grant permission.

---

Other landmines?

"The only thing that helps me maintain my slender grip on reality is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes." -- Holly, from Red Dwarf

ABW Ambassador
    How about:

1) Thinking that "affiliate manager" means managing a bunch of affiliates, and not managing an affiliate program.

Better stated, don't treat your affiliate partners as employees, treat them as partners. Sure, give them help if they need and ask for it, but, don't hound them when they don't.

2) Overly anal rules about ad-copy and contents of publishers' sites, including posting promotions your company currently has running. Sure, you don't want your trademark weakened, and you don't want to appear to be partnered with a site which promotes illegal activity, but, give some leeway.

3) Thinking of the affiliate channel as a short term boost to sales and building brand awareness, rather than a long term sales channel.

4) Terminating an affiliate relationship solely based on slow (or even no) sales. Some of us join your program one day, and then may take a long time (sometimes even months.. or years (personal experience)) to post your links and start sending you traffic. Also, slow sales can pick up as we tune our pages. In some cases, some of us work hard developing content and pages to sell your products and just as the site is about to take off, some affiliate managers terminate the relationship, since little/no sales have been seen.

And of course...

5) PARTNERING WITH PARASITIC AFFILIATES. Do not allow these people to join your program and hijack our hard earned commissions. Not only does is it a slap in the face to your affiliates who work hard to sell for you, it is also not good for the long term.

I realize there is some overlap, and there are more, but this is a list of 5 things I could think of off the top of my head.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Beware of the folks who call you on the phone and give you some pitch about how you can advertise on your competitions sites. Beware of the UCE spam frontend Duperaffiluates (eBates -iWon -Jackpot -FreeLotto) who for a fee will run a e-mail campaign for you with spin on their double opt-in e-mails list. They have a few e-mail addresses like this but your basically paying them to spamm hidden co-regs, incent lists and opt-out lists from brokers. Most all e-mail from these guys never gets delivered to major ISPs accounts(Aol MSN ect)and the free e-mail accounts.

Don't lower cookies or commission rates. Compute your pain threshold upfront and encourage ..not discourage..your affiliate pool to drive more sales not look for ways to skirt paying them.

WebMaster Mike

Communication!

If an affiliate has a problem and writes to you ... answer immediately or as soon as possible! Let the affiliate, no matter how small, know that you care. That affiliate will work even harder for you if s/he knows when problems arise you'll be receptive to resolving them in a timely manner.

Judge your success by the degree that you're enjoying peace, health, and love.

Affiliate Summit Guy Shawn Collins's Avatar
    I wrote about this a while ago - take a look at What Are Affiliates Thinking? (http://www.affiliatemanager.net/article19.htm)

Shawn Collins

scollins@clubmom-inc.com
    Director of Affiliate Marketing
    ClubMom, Inc.
    200 Madison Avenue, 6th Floor
    New York, New York 10016
    tel 646.435.6513
    fax 646.435.6600
    http://www.clubmomaffiliates.com

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> wrote about this a while ago - take a look at What Are Affiliates Thinking? (http://www.affiliatemanager.net/article19.htm)
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Shawn,

WHY is it every time I see your name, you don't offer the info, just a link to one or both of your sites?

If you have something to add then add it.

ABW Ambassador
    *) Having your site display popups. Affiliates are very suspicious of pop-ups due to the possibility of it being associated with parasitic companies. Even worse.... have your affiliates promote your coupons and then an email address is required before a customer ever decides they want to buy something. It gives the user and the affiliate an impression of the company being more interested in collecting email addresses for furure marketing themselves rather than giving the customer a deal and the affiliate a chance to earn meaningful commisions long term. (hear that Shawn?)

*) Putting a big 1-800 number on every page and encouraging users to phone in orders where affiliates don't get commissions. Make your telephone ordering system set up to track an affiliate id with the sale and you've got no problems otherwise afifliates in general will be wary of promoting you.

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Some interesting thoughts here, though the key problem is that, those of us here at ABW know most of the above...it's the ones that aren't here that need to be educated ....or not in the case of any other site selling diamonds [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Interesting on pop ups, it is also one of the few reasons I reject an affiliate partner...too many pop ups or ones that try to install stuff.

Can't see any comments that I disagree with above.

Cheers

Chris

Chris Sanderson
    Mondera Partner Management
    Mondera : Click Here
    Mondera Partner Support Zone : Click Here

Web Studio-1 Solutions Co., Ltd : Click Here
    Microsoft Certified Partner
    Affiliate Management and Marketing Solutions

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Chris has some savvy from both the merchant's and affiliate's prospective. Enter Overstock today and you'll no longer see a popup trying to get you on their e-mail list. Less pushy and totally relevent for shoppers is an alert they are having a FREE freight day. Pushing coupons to a site like Overstock seems to be a waste, since they also show the current ones on the top of most relevent pages. A smart merchant like Mondera can buy and sell diamonds to an outfit like Overstock depending on the originating source without diluting their brand.

WebMaster Mike

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread