Question Unique clicks vs. raw clicks?
    I have a question for affiliates. How do you prefer to have your clicks tracked and reported? Do you want all (i.e. raw) clicks reported or do you want only unique clicks reported? My definition of unique clicks is the same computer (presumably the same user) clicking on the same link would only be counted once over a given period of time. If you prefer unique clicks, what is your preferred time period to count clicks as unique - 24 hours, 1 hour, 20 minutes, other?

I believe Performics reports unique clicks per ad, per computer, per 24 hour period. CJ on the other hand reports all clicks even if the user double clicks the ad (would get counted as 2 clicks).

The benefits of reporting on unique clicks is you get a higher conversion rate and EPC in your reporting (which the merchant will also see). I guess the con to unique clicks is you may not be seeing the whole picture (depending on your perspective).

I appreciate any feedback.
    Todd Crawford
    Co-Founder, Impact Radius

Give me a minute before I post again

I like to see raw clicks and a second column with unique.

Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    Excellent suggestion. What time period would you use to report unique clicks?
    Todd Crawford

Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    saying ditto, with a 24-hour period.

Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ
    saying ditto, with a 24-hour period.
    From my brief research, it seems that 24 hrs is the most common practice.
    Todd Crawford

OK - one other thing to consider. If you get both raw and unique clicks in your reporting, which clicks would you want to use to calculate CR and EPC?
    Todd Crawford

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddCrawford
    OK - one other thing to consider. If you get both raw and unique clicks in your reporting, which clicks would you want to use to calculate CR and EPC?
    Raw clicks. If I have a page of products and the customer clicks on several items to the same merchant I want those included in CR and EPC.
    I agree on 24 hours for uniques. Having both available would provide data for some wonderful analysis that we don't currently get. I hope the other networks are watching this thread.

ABW Ambassador
    If raw clicks involve accidents, reloads etc on the same link then unique clicks. Is it 24 hours on the same link or merchant?

Quote Originally Posted by chetf
    If raw clicks involve accidents, reloads etc on the same link then unique clicks. Is it 24 hours on the same link or merchant?
    It would be unique to each link, not the whole merchant program. If you put the same link on several pages, it would only track as one click per 24 hrs per unique user.
    Todd Crawford

Maybe a better way to show this in reporting would be to have a column for "visitors" (unique clicks) and another column for "clicks" (raw clicks) - and then still calculate CR and EPC on clicks.
    Todd Crawford

ABW Ambassador
    The problem with doing it on raw clicks, there can be junk in there. Raw clicks are helpful when you are working a site and want to check things, or if you want to compare the clicks from a merchant/network with your own counting. Past that, I am not sure why you would want to base other stats on them.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Raw clicks. If somebody feels that they need to keep on re-clicking to the same merchant from my site, I want to know! This is important, because that behavior can indicate that my site isn't directing them to the page it ought to, or that my site's copy needs improvement, or both.

Unique clicks would be of interest, too, but only in conjunction with the raw click stats.

For the EPC calculation, I'd base it on the raw clicks. That's the real figure, the one that tells whether the buyers are convinced right away, or if something's wrong (anything from having misgivings, to getting lost on either the affiliate or the merchant site).

If people are checking out the product 9 times before they finally buy it, I want to know. Needless to say, the marketing would be different for a product that people will buy on the first click, than one that takes 10 or 20 exposures before the buyer is convinced! It's important for all sites, but imperative for PPC campaigns, to know just how many RAW clicks it takes for each sale.

Also important--the reporting needs to exclude all robotic clicks! I really hate it when I get stats that say something like "1000 clicks," only to look at my log files and discover that it was really "950 clicks from Googlebot, 30 from some un-named rogue bot (that is obviously a bot based on its traffic pattern), and 20 humans."
    Last edited by Leader; February 3rd, 2007 at 08:35 AM. Reason: added some bold ;)

I prefer unique clicks, as that's one of the most efficient ways of minimizing the impact of rogue bots. I can't count the number of times I've had statistics all out of wack because of rogue bots.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddCrawford
    Maybe a better way to show this in reporting would be to have a column for "visitors" (unique clicks) and another column for "clicks" (raw clicks) - and then still calculate CR and EPC on clicks.
    yep, that's my exact preference. as soon as networks or merchants add filtering to epc and cr stats by trying to get uniques versus raw clicks, there's going to be differences in how / which get counted.

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    Well this thread has caused me to give more work to our tech department.

They thank you

Seriously though, this is pretty cool info.

I agree with Leader:

Raw clicks. If somebody feels that they need to keep on re-clicking to the same merchant from my site, I want to know! This is important, because that behavior can indicate that my site isn't directing them to the page it ought to, or that my site's copy needs improvement, or both.
    I think having both numbers can definitely help affiliates improve landing pages, ad copy, etc.
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

I think Leader has a great point, toss the bot clicks and other page scrapers and report both raw and unique, using raw for the EPC...maybe even make the EPC mean per click and not per 100 ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by mrbshouse
    ...maybe even make the EPC mean per click and not per 100 ;-)
    I think CJ is the only network that uses Earnings Per 100 Clicks, everyone else uses Earnings Per (single) Click.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.
    Todd Crawford

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread