Hello to everyone on the forum, i just found this place. I am not quite sure what this site is actually about i am guessing online selling ?

I have had my musical site open for around 6 months now and recieve 30,000 hits per day and have over 900 members on my forums.

I definately want to capitalise on this and start online selling but have no idea where to start. IS there things i can sell with ease, such as mobile phones ?

What would you suggest or recommend ? Any help is greatly recieved.

ABW Ambassador
    Not mobile phones. Depends on what type of musical site you have, what its geared too. You can always sell cds, but most people download music now. A good idea is musical instruments, Mars Music, Musicians Friend, both those i have had success from, plus theres a lot of high ticket items there, nice commish. It mainly depends whos visiting your musical site, if its mostly music listeners (cds), musicians (instruments), DJs (dj equipment) that kinda thing.
    Football season is back. Yeah

May all your ups and downs be in bed

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    You can give 123music.com a try as some ABWers get results ( if not reversed) from these guys on instruments and band gear. Sell some consumer electronics from Overstock or cheap computer gear from TigerDirect. You sure shouldn't try pushing Flutes,Triangles and Balet slippers on the homophobic visitors...they like guns, loud amps and remote fart machines. Try some T-shirts if your mind goes blank.

WebMaster Mike

Lots of lovely MP3 players at TigerDirect, but heck, even with 30,000 hits a day and a general banner like Amazon.com you should be able to pull in some cash.

A personal recommendation would be to try Smartzones from cj.com - they seem complex, but they're just a form of banner ad which you can pick and choose which banners you want on the fly without recoding your pages.. that way you can run promising ads and see which ones get a decent clickthrough.

dynamoo.com - geeky stuff for umm geeks.

Where is your traffic coming from? If it's UK then mobile phones DO sell to UK visitors.. check out O2 at CJ and Carphone Warehouse at Tradedoubler.. Lots of Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk stuff might be good for your traffic

ABW Ambassador
    Congrats on the traffic - where do you get 30,000 hits from primarily? Is it your forum members partipating mainly?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Hi and welcome to ABW!

This site is about Affiliate Marketing, specifically. That's selling stuff, but affiliates sell other stores' stuff and get a commission for it (as opposed to selling their own stuff/being a merchant). Of course there's a lot of depth you can get into about aff. marketing but that's the encapsulated definition.

Hate to say it but forums are real hard to make money off of, based on everything I have read. The first thing I'd suggest is to count only your UNIQUES since if you have 100 active posters looking at 300 pages per session that doesn't make them 300 times more likely to buy things! Plus you get the same people coming day after day so once they've seen an ad, they've seen it.

Other than that, the few people who say they can make money from a content site (as opposed to a Revenue site dedicated to selling stuff), say they have items for sale that are targeted to the audience of the site.

So I would go with the music-related items like Johnniebry said. And if you have some articles on the site as well as forums, try to work some tracking text links into them. Don't just use banners because people ignore banners too well. And banners in the forum section are probably the most invisible ones of them all--people want to see what was posted lately, not what banner is up there! It's possible to spin 1,000,000 banners on a forum section and get 0 hits. If ABW gets more, it's probably people being nice to Haiko (the site owner)! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I will say to stay away from promoting Free anything. Free downloads, free sheet music, etc. People who are attracted to Free are NOT the same people who are attracted to BUYING things (and making you a *real* commission).

And if you want to make SERIOUS MONEY, consider making a seperate "Store" section and having only products (No non-sales content) in that section. Promote that seperately from your content area and you will probably find that most of your sales come from the promotion and not people following any link over from the content area.

There is no knowledge that is not power.~~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just want to add to a couple of the things Leader said:<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>..you get the same people coming day after day so once they've seen an ad, they've seen it.

and

people who say they can make money from a content site say they have items for sale that are targeted to the audience of the site.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    The first thing is one of the biggest problems on a content site. Repeat visitors have already seen your ad, and if you already HAVE got them to buy, they aren't wery likely to buy again, so you'll end up with garbage traffic, saleswise.

Real close targeting of your ads to your visitors interests is the clue to making money off content sites. Sometimes you have to narrow down the topics on your site to make it easier to target. If you still want all your topics, you can divide them into several sites instead.

The very best thing to sell on a site with lots of repeat visitors is something that they NEED to buy again and again, every month or so. That way you will make money on the repeat visitors, and every new visitor is a potential steady buyer. We have visitors looking for our ads, because they want to buy the products the other people are talking about in the forums.

The problem of course, is finding that type of products. But it can be done. First you must get to know your visitors and find out what they need/want. Our most successfull product on a content site is a "use and throw" tool that most of them buy monthly as long as they're interested in our topic.

I suggest you start a mailing list and offer a deal of the week program.

You could start with tigerdirect and offer mp3 players etc.

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."
    - Thomas Jefferson

Thanks, there is alot of great advice there. The site is based around music in general but the base of the site is the forum with alot of people visiting, members and non members.

There could be 100 members online on my forums and half are guests. Thank you for the kind words about the site, i work pretty hard promoting it and am a designer so the site looks good.

The age group is from around 17 too 22 i think. So things like mp3 players, mobile phones and dj equipment would definately be good.

So i can put these banners up and everyone that buys via my site will earn me a commission? Well if this is the case what sort of percentage is offered ?

I was contemplating opening my own online store but it seems quite an ordeal and a full time job with possibly not huge profits. Is it worth it and easy to setup ?

The easiest thing to start with is a affiliate store, so you could easily tack a store onto your forum with cool stuff such as MP3 players with no real financial risk and not much HTML coding. In other words, you get the merchant to do most of the hard work and you just claim 5%. I wouldn't bother trying to do your own online store unless you have real products in boxes.

Direct product links always so well.. so if there's an MP3 player you think is really good, recommend it and write a review.

ABW Ambassador
    With that many visitors, have you asked your forum members what they would like to buy?

Don't forget the band t-shirts!

I think Hot Topic is at CJ. They have a lot stuff geared towards that crowd.

Plus, checkout Art.com for band posters.

They might also be interested in the latest video games. Not sure who all sells those but Amazon does.

Vicki [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

she was tired of being poor, and she wasn't into selling door to door.... CSN

Thanks again, i think i could choose the right products. I run another business unrelated to the site, and i am the same age as all of the users.

The site isnt band related its more based around London trends and uk music. Dj related opposed to bands.

I will jot down a few ideas of what to sell and see what you people think, glad i found this place !

Ah.. if it's a UK audience then you've got a disadvantage in terms of merchants... there are not so many UK merchants you can use. However, it's also a very good demographic to target with the right program. Check out amazon.co.uk and ukaffiliates.com.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Let me ask the obvious. What do you mean by "hits" per day. Are these unique visitors -page views of just hits, which mean images or anything served from your HTML. One of my more graphics intensive sites gets 200 daily visitors -800 page views and 18,000 hits on the server log.

WebMaster Mike

over 30,000 visitors a day.

Sell magazines but only with me as your merchant - bestdealmagazines.com. We offer most of the music magazines including Rolling Stone, etc at prices as low as $3.95 (sometines $3.29) a year. Many of my high traffic merchants are earning over $25,000 a year for no more than a simple post on their home page.

You can email me at sales@bestdealmagazines.com or call me at 800-332-0278.

Philip Seldon
    Best Deal Magazines

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread