This is weird. Yesterday I did quite a few link exchanges. I have "links" pages set up for each shopping category in on my mall site. I added three links (from one indiviual) to one of my pages. Later, I discovered that page was submitted to a PPC search engine by someone else. I can't complain, but this is a first for me.

Anyone ever had this happen? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Ernie

It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

That is very weird. How can somebody submit a site that isn't theirs to a PPC? Why would they submit your links page listing potential competitors, as well, instead of submitting their own page directly. Very, very weird.

No, I've never head that happen, but if anybody wants to pay to drive traffic to my site, I won't complain.
    ---
    Judge your success by the degree that you're enjoying peace, health, and love.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    It's worth a hundred bucks from me to anyone who can fudge the DNS registry to point Yahoo -AOL and MSN main URLs to my site. I'll even throw in a free banner link for ya.

WebMaster Mike

ABW Ambassador
    Edited b/c I didn't catch that you were talking about PPC. I have no idea why someone would do that.

Kip [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I would GUESS that it's some total newbie that read that they should submit link partners to search engines (the "if they can't find the link partner, they can't find the link" theory).

But since they are a newbie, they probably used one of those paid submission services that "guarantees high rankings". Then they put your link page URL in with their list of pages to promote...not realizing that the "high rankings" are coming from paid PPC bids!

I see quite a few of these places advertising "submission" services--and all the ones that guarantee high ranks list Overture and/or similar PPCs as one of the "premier" SEs they "submit" to. Some of them even dare to brag about the high rankings they have attained at some PPC--showing that they're aiming at TOTAL newbies who don't know just how ranks in those engines are attained... (Fortunately I never fell for that--but I remember seeing sites from these so-called submission places and gagging because they act like they're doing people such a great service to resell high-ranked PPC listings at a premium!)

There is no knowledge that is not power.~~Ralph Waldo Emerson

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> and all the ones that guarantee high ranks list Overture and/or similar PPCs as one of the "premier" SEs they "submit" to. Some of them even dare to brag about the high rankings they have attained at some PPC <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hate those type of companies with a vengeance. As if it isn't difficult enough explaining SEO to potential clients, along come all these idiots claiming to offer Optimisation when all they do is buy a bunch of PPC listings. They all seem to hire telemarketing staff to cold call any site they can find.

I got cold called myself this week by a fairly well known UK company offering to get my site high rankings. They were boasting of their own ranks at Google UK for 'search engine positioning' . They stopped when I pointed out that my site was the one two places above them.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

You'd think these people would at least check out your ranking before they embarass themselves by calling you claiming to be able to improve your ranking.

I've had a few of those calls, and as soon as they ask for a search term to find my site, I know they haven't done their homework. One guy even did a search while I was on the phone with him, only to find I already am in the top 3 at most search engines. We were mysteriously disconnected.

Judge your success by the degree that you're enjoying peace, health, and love.

Leader,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>But since they are a newbie, they probably used one of those paid submission services that "guarantees high rankings". <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know this was not the case here. I was contacted directly by the site owner. Now, after doing some research, I founnd out that it wasn't him. I checked the IP address of the submitter and it didn't match his.

BTW, another ABWer we all love and admire is listed on that page, too. I know for sure it wasn't him. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Ernie

It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Dunno then... *shrugs* Like I said, it was just a guess.

There is no knowledge that is not power.~~Ralph Waldo Emerson

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Amazing how many get conned by the TRAFFIC scammers. They know this is the #1 problem for any web site owner (like themselves) and use spamm -trickery -and down right take the money and run schemes to promise you anything for a buck and deliver squatt. They see a need and fill it with bunk. If you think there is a magic secret to tons of hits some guy with a hotmail account and free domain hosted site has uncovered for 49.95..then forgo the penis/breast enlargement e-mail offer and pay the man. What we won't do to get screwed!

WebMaster Mike

I've had a variation on this. A web site suggested I buy fixed-rate monthly sponsorship from them on the basis that they're now ranked no.1 for relevant terms at engines X, Y, and Z, thus guaranteeing lots of visitors will see my ad.

Of course, their no.1 rankings were all PPC and when I compared the likely sponsorship revenue with their likely PPC costs, it was clear they'd either have to cancel the PPC or go bankrupt. Either way, it didn't seem like a very promising offer...

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread