What is parasitic? How does it happen? Is there a cure?
    Hi all,

I was checking out the laptops merchant thread and saw warnings about parasitics. What are they? How do they affect affiliates? What can we do about them?

Connie

Connie,

A good first place to start reading would be right here at ABW. There's a section of the board dedicated to just such a thing: http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158

For further reading, if you really want to know whats going on, I'd suggest checking out Ben Edelman's website, http://www.benedelman.org. Specifically:

http://www.benedelman.org/spyware/
    http://www.benedelman.org/publications/

And also:

http://www.affiliatefairplay.com/adware_overview.html

That should get your jaw hitting the floor pretty quickly.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

ABW Ambassador
    There is a lot of reading to do here at ABW on this subject.
    Use the search function.

THIS is a good summary.

Thanks for the links about parasites. (Had done a search on this forum, but apparently misspelled--called them parasitics )

I feel so naive. It boggles the mind that someone can write programming that can steal traffic and can overwrite affiliate codes.

As much as I rejoice over a single click (yes, I'm THAT new ) I cringe to think of any being redirected. Am still reading, but haven't seen anything I understand on how to keep my site safe.

Back to the threads,

Connie

Connie,

It is indeed frustrating and a big reason why so many affiliates lean towards Shareasale who is very antiparasitic. Affiliatefairplay is also been a real eye opener and resource for merchants. Even after all my years fighting the fight against parasites, I was simply amazed at how these parasites sneak into programs unoticed. My jaw dropped a couple of times when Kellie showed us examples on screen at her Affiliate Summit session.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Connie
    Thanks for the links about parasites. (Had done a search on this forum, but apparently misspelled--called them parasitics )

I feel so naive. It boggles the mind that someone can write programming that can steal traffic and can overwrite affiliate codes.

As much as I rejoice over a single click (yes, I'm THAT new ) I cringe to think of any being redirected. Am still reading, but haven't seen anything I understand on how to keep my site safe.

Back to the threads,

Connie
    Connie,

One thing you can do is stay away from merchants and networks who accept parasitic affiliates into their programs. They're usually the first ones you'll think about joining, unfortunately. After you've realized that thousands of clicks equal no sales, you'll see the reality and replace them with other merchants with the same product, but maybe not a corporate big name presence. And that's when you'll start making the money you deserve to make if your site's driving good traffic and buyers.

Finding ABW is a good head start for you.

My advice: stick mainly with networks that do not allow parasites into their program. This takes a lot of the guesswork out of which merchants are clean. ShareASale and AvantLink are two good networks that keep things clean. It's more work to promote non-name brand merchants but well worth it.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Hello all, thanks for all the info,
    First of all, I'm also pretty new to the game, and only expressing an unqualified opinion
    I've read about adware and spyware, and their credit stealing tactics when I first looked into getting into affiliate marketing. I have thought of a strategy almost right away.
    Educate the user. Spyware is harmful anyway. Even if only in stealing the users system resources and our sales. Identity theft is on the other end of the spectrum for spyware. And even all adware based 'free' software has truly free alternatives.
    I think that nobody likes being taken advantage of, or even just having things done to them (their computers) without their knowledge. I believe that the general trend is toward more savvy end user.
    I write articles, blogs, and posts on the subject, and include a special section in my (just one so far) website. Making money and driving traffic all the while
    In the mean time, I agree with Rexane, all we can do is be selective (seems like a lot of networks still accept parasites). There is also PPC, and that can't be stolen by spyware.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    There is also PPC, and that can't be stolen by spyware.
    If that were only true, but unfortunately it isn't...not if you are the advertiser for PPC. I guess maybe if you are the publisher..and maybe that's what you meant? But even there adware can steal your traffic away, which can lower your overall PPC conversions as well.

But as an advertiser doing say PPCSE, you can lose quite a bit quickly by adware if you don't choose those partners just as carefully. I showed a video during my presentation at the Summit which was search click fraud happening via adware which resulted also in the Merchant's web site popping on one of their affiliate's sites (one of the very productive affiliates). I've helped more than one affiliate track down a tanked PPCSE campaign to adware involvement.

There are several adware applications out there who generate their revenue solely through PPCSE listings.

Adware companies generate revenue through all online advertising channels, not just the affiliate marketing channel.

Thank you for informative post, Kellie,
    Yes, I meant for publishers PPC can't be stolen. Is it CPC for publishers, and PPC for advertisers? Pardon my greenness
    I've heard about advertisers complaining that they pay for PPC, get a paid listing for an affiliate link, and then have their click, and consequently any resulting sale, hijacked by spyware lurking on the users computer by slipping in a cookie at the last moment. Last cookie gets the credit, et voilą.
    What I don't understand, and would like to know more about, is how can spyware/adware steal my CPC(?) click credit, when my affiliate code is right in the link? I thought that prevented any hijack? I understand they can steal traffic through their pop ups, etc, but can they actually steal credit for a click from my page?
    What a drag this whole adware thing is

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AudioEdition
    What a drag this whole adware thing is
    Welcome to the nightmare, AudioE -Try to have fun in the meantime or you'll go crazy thinking about it.

If all other attempts at fun fail, jump out of a plane.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Thank you for the information on Share a Sale and AvantLink Network. I will be redoing a lot of my Associations on my site.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread