Lightbulb how can i build look up table
    how can i build look up table

i would like to have a product comparison price -- how can i build the look up table? do i need to creat a nnew table for each feed/store or put all of them in one big table
    ---
    as for the hardwarw - i am using sql sever 2000 -- amd i am bulking my feed into a table -- it took for 100,000 --- one minet
    which cpu/proccesore /memory i need to have in my machine in order to mak it faster?

thank you

A lookup table is another table that you create that contains all of possible combinations of values from your first table. For example: If you were dealing with "Brands" that you want to use as your lookup table for the existing "Products" table you have then you'd get all of your brands in a table with a (usually) numeric value with each one. ( 1-Sony, 2-Emerson, etc). You would then go back to table 1 and replace all of your brand names with their numeric equivalent. It would take less storage and your brands would be more standardized.

Here is a quick summary of how to do this - we can drill down in to more detail later.

1. Run a SELECT DISTINCT on that column in the first table to get a list of brand. Double check.
    2. Run that same select again but do it using the INTO keyword to create a new table with all of the values.
    3. Cleanup that lookup table - standardize things like Sony and SONY and sony so you only have one entry for all three
    4. Add a integer column so you can add the key value (1, 2, 3, etc)
    5. Make sure .... one more time... it looks clean
    6. Go back to the first table, add an integer column for the lookup value, and add values to that new column that match the 2nd table.
    7. Double check and if clean delete the Brand column
    8. Build your selects joining the two to make sure brands all matched up correctly.

We can now drill down into more detail on any of these steps. It is usually not to hard to do - just tedious.

Patrick
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

I could not seem to edit my first response...

What you want to build (a lookup table) is also called database normalization. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Database_normalization
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

sound great -- i will make a try
    sound great -- i will make a try
    thank you.

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread