Outsourced Program Manager Affiliate Eagle's Avatar
    Google and Cell Phones
    This post may reflect a previous post or threads on ABW, however I didnt have an opportunity to search threads or posts on Google, so here goes:

My brother just came over the house to discuss some business and as we were talking, he needed to create a new email address and asked me to set him up a new email account via G-mail. To my surprise,(again this may be old news), they requird that he give his cell phone # so an activation code could be text messaged to him in order to finalize the account requirments.

I found this very odd. When I first created my G-mail account less than a year ago, this was not a prerequiste. Now they are making it a prerequiste to having a G-Mail account. Imagine the size of the Data Base Google is creating holding Global cell phone numbers and the possible usage of this information in the emerging m-commerce world.....Makes you think......

Again, this may be old news, but I thought it was worth posting...Who knows, Google one day might offer their adwords service to m-commerce affiliates and merchants as well or keep it for themselves...
    Emilio Yepez
    Affiliate Program Manager
    www.lighthouseinternetmedia.com
    PH: 305 389 8955
    AIM: affiliateagle
    Email: emilio@lighthouseinternetmedia.com
    Follow Me On My Twitter

Programs Managed - Join Now! | Navarro.com|| OneWayFurniture | OnlyKidsHangers | EverythingHangers.com | RejuvByCaci.com |

You think that is scarey?? Google is already up to something. Check out this site http://www.zabasearch.com/
    KK

When I was first shown this site Julyish of last year, it went as far as showing everyone that lived at the same address you did at that time. My childhood address was on there with my mothers first and last name. Available all to see.

I guess their were a lot of complaints about it and I guess they removed at least that part.
    KK

http and a telephoto
    It has old, incorrect info for me. It does show where I lived for 20 years, but not anything current. And that address has been on lots of public documents for me, and phone records etc, so wouldn't have been hard to find me there anyway. It doesn't seem to have any info since 2002 for me. And actually it thought I lived there in 2002 when I was really in Manhattan by then.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

http and a telephoto
    If you want to open an account a different way, you may want to ask a friend with a mobile phone to receive an invitation code for you or to ask someone you know who already has a Gmail account to email you an invitation.
    You can still open a Gmail account from an email from a friend without entering a cell phone number.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Yeah, just remember, "Google's mission is to organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful." All of our cell numbers are part of the 'the world's information.'

And in case they don't get your number from a gmail sign-up, they have another way which I have broken down and used.

Send a text message to GOOGLE (466453 on your phone) for almost anything and it'll text you back search results. I've used it to find addresses and phone numbers for places when I'm driving around trying to find them. The whole conspiracy is outlined here: http://www.google.com/intl/en_us/mobile/sms/

It's a balance between useful convenience and privacy though...

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    You can still open a Gmail account from an email from a friend without entering a cell phone number.
    Yup, that is rite.

With google checkout, they are also positioning themselves as financial powerhouse.
    Why would google want to have a clause that allows them to check your credit histort????

ABW Ambassador
    Mobile giants plot secret rival to Google
    Cell Phones and the WWW will be huge.

"Vodafone, France Telecom, Telefonica, Deutsche Telekom, Hutchison Whampoa, Telecom Italia and one American network, Cingular, are among the companies that will come together for secret, high-level talks at the mobile industry's biggest annual trade show in Barcelona next week."

FULL STORY

I agree, the next market area will be cell phones and it will indeed be huge. It is specifically why I attened that session at Affiliate Summit last month that one of the VP's of LinkShare gave. I'm already investigating .mobi urls of a couple of my existing URL's, etc.

I'm guessing we will, within the next year, see a new forum here at ABW titled something like Cell Phone Marketing. It's already out there being used, the technology is already in place, it's just the US is lagging behind in implementation.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristin Collier
    You think that is scarey?? Google is already up to something. Check out this site http://www.zabasearch.com/
    I certainly am not impressed with that!

Anyone know if there is a way you can get your information blocked?
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

"Information wants to be free" -- Stewart Brand
    I agree, cell marketing is coming, .mobi sites are going to be huge.
    www.whitepages.com
    www.411.info
    Both have been around for years, more than 5 for sure.
    If you wand your info 'blocked', here's what you do:
    #1: Move. Get a new phone.
    #2: Do not give your phone or address to anyone. Think witness protection. Oh, don't forget to only get a cell phone, not a land line, and opt out of the cell company's 'phone book'
    #3: Do not answer your phone. Ever. Because automated number trolling programs will find it if you do. (That's those 'nobody's there calls)
    #4: If you pay bills, have money in banks, own websites in your name, etc, go back to step 1, you have been found by your friendly marketeer, and your name/info has been sold down the road.
    I used to build promotion 'contact' databases. There is really no way for an average person to hide. You have to stay off the radar completely: cash only, deal with handshakes and first names. Think 'Enemy of the State'.

(edited out sig again)
    Last edited by Trust; February 4th, 2007 at 10:37 PM. Reason: took sig out

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Well, the plus side is that my phone is not on there due to being unlisted.

I wouldn't care if my PO box was on there, just don't really like my home address being listed for the whole world to see for free.

Oh well, so goes life...
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by 7-days
    I agree, the next market area will be cell phones and it will indeed be huge...I'm already investigating .mobi urls of a couple of my existing URL's, etc....I'm guessing we will, within the next year, see a new forum here at ABW titled something like Cell Phone Marketing.
    I already have a few URLs and am porting over a couple of my travel sites to be available for the "tourist" to use as they walk around.

Just imagine laying on the beach soaking up some rays - and being able to find details about restaurants for dinner; or being able to check out the local golf courses - and then making "one click" to call for reservations or tee-times. I have never seen someone using a laptop while on the beach, but [almost] everyone there has a cell phone.

My largest, at this point has a little over 500 pages, and will soon have 1100+ with many photos (resized for mobile phone display screens) and narrative.

I recently found a .mobi site with narrative for a walking tour of the "Freedom Trail" in Boston. Nicely done, but lacking photos (at this point - still under development). I wonder how many stores and restaurants might be interested in appearing on those pages...

I, too, believe it is only a matter of time for a "Mobile" forum to appear. People who are not investigating/learning/making plans now are sure to be playing "catch up" in the near future.

WebStore.mobi will be ready as soon as merchants have built proper interfaces...Orbitz is already there, but not yet coded for affiliates.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

ABW Ambassador
    Exclamation
    As I have posted months ago, Google have been testing their mobile shopping & coupon service outside of the USA since last year. They are doing it quietly in the background but as soon as they have the framework & systems in places, phone numbers and power they will release their Mobile Shopping service in the USA and many affiliates could be out of business within a year or two as the market will be dominated by guess who. I know this is just my own speculation on what will happen but the fact is Google are doing extensive testing & developments to move most consumers over to use their mobile shopping services. Let's hope it doesn't ever get to this though. I have already taken Google off as my default search engine and telling my friends to stop supporting this company that want to dominate everything and anything.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

Hi Michelle,
    I personally don't think that this information being available like this is a bad thing. And I guess other people might think differently for their own reasons.

If you get 'named' junk mail, and most of us do, the 'bad' guys already have your info. And as part of a contact list, your name costs small fractions of a penny.

My daughter did her first Christmas card mailing this year She had found all of the addresses but one on the Net. Nice and easy like...

"Don't panic"

Affiliate Manager
    Beachy, what do you need from me? Linkshare has told me before that they have the Mobile tech set up for affiliates. I'd like to try out ways of making it work.

Gmail
    I did recently opened a new account at gmail and you are indeed right that an activation number was sent to the mobile phone. i think this is a good practice so as to minimize registrants who unscrupulously opens many email addresses. We have different ideas why these people opens multiple accounts and I think these ideas do not exactly falls under a legit category.

Personally, I like this system. And, I think email providers should follow the same!

Gmail will give you an account just like that if you come from a Russian IP (thanks to Sergei Brin, I suppose).
    Last edited by login; February 9th, 2007 at 05:55 AM. Reason: misspelled a 3 letter worm

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    We have different ideas why these people opens multiple accounts and I think these ideas do not exactly falls under a legit category.
    IMO it'd depend on how many accounts the person was trying to open. It can keep the spam down, for instance, if you give all the high-risk places one address (like if you sign up for newsletters and the like), but use another address for the people you know won't misuse it.

That said, I don't have any gmail addresses. Goofle is far too nosy for my comfort.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread