So I hear that Netscape is launching a new version. Then I hear that Netscape has a marketshare of 3.4%! Whenever I design web pages, I always make sure that they appear the same on both IE and Netscape. This has caused me quite a few headaches since Netscape complains alot.

Is it even worth it? I wanna get your thoughts. I"m thinking about just designing for IE and not worrying too much about Netscape. As long as I can get my point across on Netscape, that's fine with me. NO need to make it look pretty.

Sal @ PHATBargains.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

This has caused me quite a few headaches since Netscape complains a lot.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let me return the question to you...

Are the headaches worth it to you for less than 4%?

I think your post already suggested the way you lean.

Personally, I check it out but don't bother with it much. If they can't read it, they are gone. Oh well.

Definitely no HEADACHES here.

My two cents.

Doc

"I spent most of my money on
    Gambling, Whiskey and Women.
    The rest I just wasted."

Dr-Fix-It!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>As long as I can get my point across on Netscape, that's fine with me.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's how I deal with Netscape. I hate browser compatibility but I always consider Netscape and do my compatibility testing with Navigator 4.08.

As long as the audience can see the page rendered with no major issues then I don't lose sleep over it.

-----------------------------------------------------------
    Website Tools | Webmaster Resources | Website Articles

ABW Ambassador
    Why bother. Less than 2% of the visitors to my sites uses Netscape. Now if AOL does use it with their proprietary browser then that would be another story.

Mike

Don't Worry Mama, It Won't Get Freaky!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Now if AOL does use it with their proprietary browser then that would be another story. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's one thing that bothers me. I would love to ignore Netscape. But I would think that AOL will start using Netscape at some point (they do own the company after all).

Sal @ PHATBargains.com

ABW Ambassador
    &gt;&gt;Then I hear that Netscape has a marketshare of 3.4%!&lt;&lt;

The question is, how much marketshare does Netscape have of YOUR visitors. I find that varies pretty wildly from site to site.

And would you be willing to give 3.4% of your revenue to me? For no good reason? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Like others, I make sure the stuff Netscape doesn't display correctly degrades gracefully, but beyond that, I don't lose a whole lot of sleep over it.

OTOH, I pretty much avoid all that new-fangled web stuff anyway, so it's not much of an issue. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

"The only thing that helps me maintain my slender grip on reality is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes." -- Holly, from Red Dwarf

AOL will be changing to Netscape, yes, so it should recover some market share.

I use Netscape 4.8, IE 6.0 and Mozilla 1.0 all on the same system.. Mozilla is an Open Source derivative of Netscape, worth a look at mozilla.org.

Ugh! Netscape...the name alone gives me a headache.

I test my site with Netscape 4.0-something, and I thought that would be a good way to see if things would work in NS since it was such an old version.

Then I found out that Netscape 6.0+ doesn't always "catch" everything that the older version does. (Like my DHTML menu [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img])

After spending 2 days trying to get it to work properly cross-browser, I added a link to my site map page and called it a day. I've posted a blurb that my site works best in IE.

I hope it either goes away, or becomes more "cooperative".

Andy

I've been meaning to download Netscape since I received this new computer last December. This thread prompted me to do it. I used to check my site in both IE and Netscape, and quit doing it when I switched computers.

Wow! Is this different. AOL instant messenger built right in to this side bar thingy that you can customize. With AOL IM built in, its a sure bet that AOL will be switching over from IE.

All this blue is way too much though. Wonder if there is a way to change the colors. Somebody probably did some research saying this was the best color combination. Yuck!

Judge your success by the degree that you're enjoying peace, health, and love.

If it's worth chasing parasiteware
    to stop stealing your commiss it's worth
    making sure your site is presentable in all browsers and keeping your customers happy.

Whether it's 1% or 4% they are all potential customers.

"I haven't failed, I've just found 10,000 reasons why it doesn't work"
    Thomas Edison

ABW Ambassador
    MJ,

You make a very valid point and you have just chnaged my mind.

Mike

Don't Worry Mama, It Won't Get Freaky!

ABW Ambassador
    AOL will ship with netscape at some point in the future, and has already made this change on their OS X software.

I personally don't worry a whole lot about NS4, but, the newer browsers I think are worth at the least verifying your page functions and looks "good enough" in.

It really is worth checking out Mozilla, though, IMO. I now use it almost exclusively and love it. It also has a built in pop-up killer (which I don't use most of the time), tabs like Opera, skins, etc. And they have just released 1.1 a few days ago.

Cedric makes a good point, though. Depending on your traffic you are likely to see varying percantage of visitors using different browsers. Some military installations for instance are standardized on NS4, still, IIRC, and if that is the kind of traffic you happen to draw, you'd obviously not want to alienate them.

JM

ABW Ambassador
    I've blown off Netscape completely. They account for about 6% on my visitors, but Opera accounts for 4% and I see them climbing up. Also, Opera is easy on my system (Doesn't monkey the way IE and Netscape do) and it's free.

I just make sure the page doesn't crash netscape and that's good enough for me.

If/When AOL goes to Netscape, I'm sure most of their users will continue with IE as that is what they are used to and only new people will use Netscape. I'll just have to wait and see what the logs show.

http://SearchToSale.com - Turns your search box into money.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If/When AOL goes to Netscape, I'm sure most of their users will continue with IE as that is what they are used to and only new people will use Netscape.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But what if they include it as part of the software package of a newer release (AOL 8.0)? When somebody in AOL screens presses a button to go to web, they'll probably get Netscape by default.

Also, looking at that new Netscape 7.0, I wouldn't be surprised if it is the blueprint for the next release of AOL. It isn't as dorky looking as AOL, but that bar on the left-hand side already has AIM built right into it, and the bar can be customized to include the features you want, which could easily be all the features that come with AOL.
    ---

Judge your success by the degree that you're enjoying peace, health, and love.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I personally don't worry a whole lot about NS4, but, the newer browsers I think are worth at the least verifying your page functions and looks "good enough" in.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't think it was worth it either but believe it or not, I have one site that still shows more than 40% Netscape 4.x traffic. I don't know if that's a result of people rolling back from 6.x or not. NE 6 had alot of issues.

{

Stuff that makes me go, "huh?"

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread