Value of Website
    Can anyone give me guidance as to how to price a website I want to sell or where I can go to find the value of it?

Thanks!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

The value of a web site is whatever it earns, or whatever someone else is willing to pay. There are many discussion threads about buying and selling web sites on this forum -- spend some time searching. Here's one:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=80399

ABW Ambassador
    I would say your best way to do this is to check out the places where websites are sold online and compare yours to the ones been sold. There are a number of sites that specialize in website trading & a search should bring them up easily.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

Some people use a general calculation of 10-15 times the monthly revenue. This is however very general and should be only used as a starting point.

From a buyer's perspective, I wish there were a hard rule (or better standard) for pricing these sites, but there isn't unfortunately, and the numbers are all over the place. Just don't fall into the trap of:

1) Selling your site for large sums of money that has no revenue, or traffic (this seems to be the popular choice). The average, like stated above is usually around 12x monthly revenue.

2) Selling your site based purely on speculation, or low numbers (I love this one). People expect to make a lot of money on a site based on what they "feel" it'll do in a few months, or maybe b/c it made one or two sales.

3) Selling your site for large sums of money, because it made $1000 some 5 years ago, and is now just sitting there.

If your site is unique (i.e., isn't a myspace, arcade, proxy, template, web tools, etc type of site) in some way, or you can show that it makes a regular profit, then you should make a reasonable amount off of it. They are rare, but when they're posted, they go in a hurry.

The four main forums I check often for sales is: ABW, digitalpoint, sitepoint, and DNforum (these may help in finding some kind of general price range).

I have had people ( serious people ) write and offer to buy my site for $100. I have been tempted, lol!

Anne --

I've give you $150

On the actual topic of this post, there are a few online places that have a large etail/internet/ecommerce section. One is (I think) is bizbuysell.com. You can use this to get a feel price-wise. There is both the objective factor (priced out at some formula involving revenue, revenue trend, traffic, etc.) and a subjective element that essentially anticipates potential of a site/idea.

ABW Ambassador
    I think website trading will become nearly as big as the real estate industry in time, at least in in 2-3 years time it will be a very serious industry with investors from incubator firms & the like taking a much more active interest, I have already scooped up several domain names for website trading . There are quite a few bargains floating around for websites already developed with traffic & cash flow.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

Your traffic has a lot to do with it as well. If you have SUBSTANTIAL natural traffic, it's worth more. Plenty of sites in certain niches that haven't been well monetized have sold for WAY more than 12x monthly earnings.

Sites having to do with World of Warcraft or other MMORPGs come to mind.

Rare circumstances, though.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread