ABW Ambassador
    This quote was taken from the amazon discussion page
    quote:
    Seems that the 1x1 gifs are intended for IMPRESSIONs and shouldn't affect the code that gives you credit. Of course, I am speaking in general since I don't use CJ. If someone uses a program like WebWasher (which prevents Pop-Ups) then the 1x1 gifs are seen as "bugs" and the program suppresses them and the link to the item as well. If you had a page with these coded on them, I wouldn't see them whatsoever and couldn't click on them.

Thanks
    Cazzie [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Yes it is. There were a couple of other threads here at ABW regarding this. I downloaded AdMuncher to test. It had several network url's on it's blacklist. If I remember correctly BF and CJ. Can't remember for sure about LS. It did surpress my pixel links. I was safe on my actual links just because of the way my site is set up. The click links are called through my php script so they show on my site something like http://www.mydomain.com/go.php?id=123 There are tons of these types of programs out now and they will block different things, but there do seem to be quite a few that block affiliate url's.

Is your PHP script available somewhere? I'd be interested in a copy...

ABW Ambassador
    know of one like that in perl?

FreeCallz.com - Free and cheap phone services.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    @Edwin:

As a preface, I really don't know diddly squat about programming. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] I can configure a script, but that's about it. Someone did the whole thing for me. It has a lot of different components because it does a lot things on my site. My links are managed through a MySQL database and it calls them from there. I also have a web based admin interface for adding, moving, editing, and deleting links. There are a bunch of different PHP files which call up different functions of the site. If you know something about PHP, I can send the file that calls up the go.php thing, but there may be some more stuff in some other master php files. But if you know some coding you maybe able to tell what are coding goes with and I could track those down for you. I do know they went back and added something to handle a problem I was having with some aff links resolving in PHP because of special chars like the "&". Just let me know, I can will forward the file to you.

@Celica:

Don't know about Perl. I was looking at database driven because of the amount of links I had and wanted faster speed with MySql.

[edited to add]

And to 2 really cool things they did for me was a script which will run through all links on my site and give me a list of all those which are no longer valid. Another one allows me put an expiration date to each link and will spit out a list of all expired links to easily track down and delete. What a time saver both of those are for maintainence. When I run them. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Edwin,

The PHP to do this is the header command.

As BLFH mentions, all the URLs are stored in a Mysql table and each has an ID associated with it.

The PHP would be something like this (untested and without things like error checking [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]):

// 1. Get the URL out of the database that has
    // the id passed in the URL parameter $id.
    $sql = "select url from url_table where id = $id";
    $result = mysql_query($sql);
    $myrow = mysql_fetch_array($result);
    $url = $myrow["url"];

// 2. Redirect the browser to that URL
    header("Location: $url");
    exit;

Most people do this sort of thing at least in part to monitor what links are getting clicked on. So you could put something between steps 1 and 2 to log the click in a database table.

But as it stands, this is a way to swap links out
    without editing HTML.

(Sorry Celica, don't have the Perl handy for this, but the concept is the same.)

HTH,

--scott

[Edited because the code tag has some strange formatting issues.]

[This message was edited by Scott - Be Free on September 19, 2002 at 01:04 PM.]

Thanks for the pointers, folks... I'll study the PHP issue a bit further - should be able to work something out!

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread